Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Town Grudge script by Triggerhappy  (Read 3741 times)

Mr.Pibb

Town Grudge script by Triggerhappy
« on: 10 Dec 2004, 19:48:37 »
 Heres a script written by Triggerhappy for MP missions that causes freindly towns to hold 'grudges' against players that cause 'trouble' in their towns, causing the particular player to have rating dropped to -100000 while in that towns area. Any amount of towns can be added with simple usage of script by just adding a gamelogic for each town that executes the script.
I could put the readme in here, but it is quite long and describes everything the script does in detail, and a few known 'bugs' which are not relevant to the script itself but to ofp.

Basically I want to put this up here to make sure I didnt miss anything during testing before I put it up as a script addon, but my testing was indeed quite extensive.

The test mission in the zip file has a readme in it, and the same readme is also packed separetely within the zip file. Do read it plz. The test mission has like 8 towns with the 'grudge' script enabled for them and some res in those towns, various empty vehicles are at start point. If nothing else should be kinda fun playing the mission.

Although the concept was mine for the script function, Triggerhappy made it happen, wrote it and helped test it, so it is HIS script, not mine. The only thing here I actually did do was heavily test it and make the attached test mission.

Important: the new updated test mission/script is on my post#9, removed this one.

Enjoy, any feedback at all appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2004, 01:47:51 by Mr.Pibb »

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
Re:Town Grudge script by Triggerhappy
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2004, 22:34:19 »
this only needs 2 arguments:
this and size no town name
using your example:
[this, 200] exec "town.sqs"

so you will want to fix that in your readme and you example mission

EDIT: delete your first attatchment
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2004, 23:08:15 by Triggerhappy »

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2004, 22:53:07 »
Ok, got the new updated mission and readme attached here :)

Important Note: New updated test mission is to be found below at reply #9
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2004, 03:07:45 by Mr.Pibb »

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2004, 01:12:14 »
 Let me ask, knowing that this will crank up the topic local to the top again, if someone would please just give this a shot, for the sake of it becoming an addon script, it is a simple thing to try, all ya gotta do is run the mission after reading the readme and mess around more or less with the towns. I would really appreciate it, then it could become a true script addon, without the beta testing I dont know if I should release it as a script addon, might not be a kind thing if bugs then come up.

It is certainly an 'odd' script addon, but Im sure a few mission makers might find it usefull here and there.

Thanks

Pibb

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2004, 01:36:11 »
Uhmmmmmmmmmm.............GDI_Titan????

Are you sure?

;D ;D ;D

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:29:49 »
umm, I just downloaded the mission to make sure it wasnt on there, its not --??

I dont know what you mean Planck

I did test out the Titan addon on there, but even if I had it on there before I zipped the new mission I had removed it, it dosent exist in the editor.

???

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:32:52 »
Nawwwwwww...........its listed in the mission.sqm in the addon section.  Trust me   ;D

Planck

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:42:02 »
lol dammit, got me all worried

Unfortunately, no, I prolly wont use it, although winter textures on it would make me a lil more prone to use it, was thinking of just having one appear at some random time and it starts pattrolling around destroying a few towns or whatever, but its motion viewed up close is kinda screwey, it moves in a continuous forward motion even tho its walking, but everything else about it was stunning- trees gettin knocked down, the thud of the steps, awsome firepower lol (author told me it takes like 5 M1's to kill it LOL), but anyhow, it was neet to test it out, its prolly a lil extreme for the mission, and I am way off topic, sorry  ::)

Pibb

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:46:14 »
You should edit it out of the mission.sqm, otherwise anyone who tries your mission and doesn't have this addon will get an error message.

Planck

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2004, 03:04:13 »
Ok, heres the test mission without the error message for a deleted addon that was in the mission previously:

Also, now that I have looked into the 'addons' area of the mission.sqm, there are 2 others, but I dont know how relevant they are:

"HMMWV",
"editorupdate102"

Anyhow the GDI_TItan was removed :)

Thanks for the 'heads up' Planck

Pibb

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2004, 03:10:12 »
No problem Mr Pibb.

The HMMWV is the standard Hummer that comes with the game.

The editorupdate is probably General Barrons EU.

Planck

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2004, 00:43:05 »
OK Mr Pibb, I tried this out.

All seems to work as expected, no real problems encountered.

I was able to kill some res guys from a distance though with out 'grudge' setting in, however this of course affects the normal rating.

I also managed to enter all towns and have every res guy killed without affecting my rating in 2 ways.......cheating of course  ;D.

First way was to just run them over with the hummer.

Second way was to get my trusty AI buddy to shoot them for me.

As I said, despite my cheating ways, this works as intended.

Planck

Mr.Pibb

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2004, 01:28:40 »
Thanks for the testin there Planck!  ;)

I was able to kill some res guys from a distance though with out 'grudge' setting in, however this of course affects the

Ok, most of the 'town areas' that encompass a radius around towns are only for testing purposes, therefore they are much smaller radius's than what should be used(look to map for markers around towns that show town raduis's), and therefore ya, u can kill an res from a distance in those towns and the 'grudge' wont activate, normal radius's around towns are put there too in the distant towns, that should cover any distance sighting of the res in the towns :) So radius's are easily changed to liking thro the gamelogic init entry (described in readme) Normal 'town area' radius's will be somewhere around 500 and above depending on sourounding terrain that may hinder or improve distance viewing of the town itself.

I also managed to enter all towns and have every res guy killed without affecting my rating in 2 ways.......cheating of course  .

First way was to just run them over with the hummer.

Second way was to get my trusty AI buddy to shoot them for me.

Quite the thorough testing u did!  ;)

Yes, as an example my mission that incorporates this script function will have 'no drive' zones in the towns to avoid players doing what you did Planck, of course failure to comply with no drive zones would result in....grudge status with that town :) So anyhow, if not this solution then some solution will have to be found by users of this script to remove the possibility of players runnin over townies and gettin no 'town grudge' for that town.

And yes, the AI probelms, another cheat to be dealt with, a good few ways to deal with this, but in the end it will be up to the user of this script to come up with a way to stop this, muchly depending on what exactly their mission is designed to do and therefore what method would be most ideal.
 In my mission there are a few Ideas for dealing with this cheat, and my decision will be made when the time comes to confront it.

Do understand the guys that are in the towns have to be FREINDLY, therfore in all essence the town was already at least nuetral, therefore any non-compliance of restrictions put on players for those towns would be considered acts of agression, and hence the consequences.  ;D

Pibb

btw - thanks again Planck for the thorough testing, your description of such has reminded me that I need to include the possible cheats and their need to be addressed in the final readme ;)

« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2004, 03:35:26 by Mr.Pibb »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2004, 10:04:42 »
I like the sound of this script. Maybe you could link it to gimball's tossers and have natives thow rocks once a certain level is reached.

Once the driving bug and the AI bug are fixed I could certainly use this in my current project.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2004, 15:22:53 »
there are no levels, in this, just they hate you or they don't

the AI bug is because it references the player variable to check who they've killed - that can be fixed pretty easily

the vehicle bug is harder.  Kills don't register when you run people over. this is a bug in the game engine