Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Request: AC-130 Gunship  (Read 3113 times)

Sgt Butler

Request: AC-130 Gunship
« on: 16 Sep 2004, 18:05:52 »
Hi there all. Been thinking for a while.
What would the chance of building a AC-130U (Spooky) Gunship addon.

I have never tryed making any kind of mod but a few thoughts if possable it could incoporate.

- 1x25mm Gatling Gun (1800rpm)
- 1x 40mm Bofors Cannon (100rpm)
- 1x 105mm Howitzer Cannon (6-10rpm)
- The Radar of the AC-130 has a huge range and pick up almost all ground units.
- Complete radar flight and fire.
- AI Flying takes it HIGH 10.000ft
-Very very accurate, First shot kills. (state of the art survalance radar each spooky costs around $72.000.000 each)  
             Example. Ground units give grid ref or a lazer target.  Once the target has been requested to the SPOOKY, the pilot can set a grid ref of the target and will begin a circle pattern around the target at any given altitude 200ft to extream 10.000ft even 30.000ft. With a HUD to tell him how much to turn into the bank to bring the wepons into line with the target.

The gunner can then vew through a radar screen the target he is flying circling above. The gunner can make slight movement of the guns but the plane itself must be circling accuretly around the target. Once target is aquired the AI will shower the area with massive ordinance, or if played with a gunner, He has the choice of what and when.

A real Spooky is crewed by around 14 but obviously that would be a bit of  bugger to manage.
Tell me what you think. A big addon but would be a great Air support wepon that could be linked onto a unit for strikes or cover.  Thow some ideas hear and If a team of modders want to take it on, I would be very very happy. (A friend of mine says it could not be done, help me prove the bastard wrong)

rOk

Re:Request: AC-130 Gunship
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2004, 18:48:48 »
Sometimes it's good to listen to your friends...
Flashpoint does not support multiple turrets ;)

OrangeLeader

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2004, 02:19:51 »
there are multiple turrent PT boats, so it is possible.

There is a AC-130 script, that has a cool demo mission. It is scripted so it is more of a special type of air strick/arttilery. The Obsever gives a grid square and the "plane" kills every unfriendly in it. There is a second script that allows you to attach a spooky load out to any aircraft. I have not tested it, but it look promising.

The idea of building an AC-130 has been discussed, but why create a new unit that flies so high you can't even see it in OFP. If you want it for a cut scene, remodel a C-130 to add guns. But if it is for game play check out the script. They should be in the script depot.

rOk

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2004, 13:44:36 »
@ Orange Leader

Even in Flashpoint you can't mix apples and oranges...(meaning=aircraft is not a boat)
Go and run your theory with ColonelKlink (author of PT boat) and you'll get a thorougher explanation of the problem...
I'm guessing here, but I don't think you know how it works,right?

#edit:

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=19485

take a look...
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2004, 14:18:15 by rOk »

m21man

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2004, 17:19:53 »
there are multiple turrent PT boats, so it is possible.
Boats do not bank unless they run aground, which makes multiple guns through setpossing possible. It's impossible with anything that routinely alters its pitch (Aircraft and ground vehicles).

The best that can be done is a script that makes a C-130 model circle a target area and then camcreates shells and bullets.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2004, 12:57:16 »
I think it's noon's site has a C130 script..
I've linked to it before (On this forum) a  while ago
- Ben

Unnamed

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2004, 15:42:58 »
Whats not possible is to have more than one weapon on a plane that the user can control properly, i.e. the gun would not move relative to the planes pitch and bank.

Take a ball turret on a Flying Fortress, it would not pitch or bank with the plane, and a human gunner could point the gun into the interior of the aircraft. Collision detection unfortunatly does not work with this method.

For AI guns it's is possible, using DoWatch and the pitch\bank functions we developed for MCar, you could make the AI turret look like it's conforming to the pitch and bank of the vehicle. But all of this would require a ton of scripting, for what would essentialy be, laggy eye candy.

I would go with m21man's suggestion, at a push you could make it look like it's firing from multiple guns for cut scenes e.t.c

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2004, 05:18:09 »
ya but would if u had 1 gunner control all the weapons but 1 at a time just like the AH-64 in opf. then i bet it would work.  and just make a simple AI pilot circle script. i dont think 10000 feet is very good you wouldnt be able to see anything because of opfs wierd fog type thing. the highest u can go while in sight of the ground in opf is 446meters.

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2004, 07:35:57 »
Iirc, there was a engine limitation comment that said that aircraft were restricted to forward-firing  but that doesn't automatically limit turrets to be fixed forward for aiming, does it? How about making a series of steerable turrets, but run the firing through actions? Ugly way to do it though. Combine doWatch/doTarget with unit action in scripts for AI minions. The action script would kick out the old camCreate ammo bursts.

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2004, 00:37:07 »
aircraft restricted to forward firing. but what about the blackhawk MG that comes with the game. or the chinook with the MG coming out of the side.

bigdog632

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2004, 00:38:32 »
Fixed wing aircraft can only fire forward...rotary can have moveable guns perhaps?

im a crappy playing expert but im not game engine expert ;D

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2004, 00:58:47 »
that could be it .

Homefry31464

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2004, 03:41:54 »
aircraft restricted to forward firing. but what about the blackhawk MG that comes with the game. or the chinook with the MG coming out of the side.

Helicopters are a different class than aircraft, which is why they support the MG's on the side....

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2004, 06:05:05 »
well is there any way to class the plane as a helocopter just put like an invisible rotor on the top I dont know...    I dont really know anything about making addons.  

bigdog632

« Reply #14 on: 05 Oct 2004, 03:39:32 »
isnt the AC130 the spectre gunship...anyway

the addon they just released flies nice and shoots well, but the guns are WAAAAAAY overpowered
a slight adjustment on it would clear it up