Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Grenada mod?  (Read 1095 times)

AnarCHy

Grenada mod?
« on: 10 Jul 2004, 13:07:49 »
The 1983 US invasion of Grenada, a tiny island nation with a population of 160,000 and a per capita income of $390 per year, marked the adoption of the new military doctrine. Following a violent coup within Grenada's leftist government, the Reagan administration seized the opportunity to return Grenada to the fold of capitalism by send in an invasion force of 6,000 US troops to storm the island. Grenadan troops, outnumbered, outgunned and demoralized by the recent coup, offered little resistance. "With the equipment we have, it's like Star Wars fighting cavemen," said one soldier. Three days after the troops landed, the fighting was essentially over.
Unlike the invasion of Normandy Beach during World War II, the invasion of Grenada took place without the presence of journalists to observe the action. Reagan advisors Mike Deaver and Craig Fuller had previously worked for the Hannaford Company, a PR firm which had represented the Guatemalan government to squelch negative publicity about Guatemala's massive violence against its civilian population. Following their advice, Reagan ordered a complete press blackout surrounding the Grenada invasion. By the time reporters were allowed on the scene, soldiers were engaged in "mop-up" operations, and the American public was treated to an antiseptic military victory minus any scenes of killing, destruction or incompetence. In fact, as former army intelligence officers Richard Gabriel and Paul Savage wrote a year later in the Boston Globe, "What really happened in Grenada was a case study in military incompetence and poor execution." Of the 18 American servicemen killed during the operation, 14 died in friendly fire or in accidents. To this day, no one has been able to offer a reliable estimate of the number of Grenadans killed. Retired Vice-Admiral Joseph Metcalf III remembered the Grenada invasion fondly as "a marvelous, sterile operation.''
After reporters protested the news blackout, the government proposed creating a "National Media Pool." In future wars, a rotating group of regular Pentagon correspondents would be on call to depart at a moment's notice for US surprise military operations. In theory, the pool system was designed to keep journalists safe and to provide them with timely, inside access to military operations. In practice, it was a classic example of PR crisis management strategy- enabling the military to take the initiative in controlling media coverage by channeling reporters' movements through Pentagon designated sources.
The first test of this "pool system" came on December 20, 1989, when President Bush sent US troops into Panama to oust General Manuel Noriega. Until his fall from official grace earlier that year, Noriega had been a longtime informant for the CIA and US Drug Enforcement Agency. As vice-president, in fact, Bush himself had personally honored Noriega for his assistance to US anti-drug efforts. For that reason alone, the invasion of Panama required careful management to keep the media from raising embarrassing questions.
Once again, the invasion was carried out with blinding speed. The Pentagon held the National Media Pool captive on a US base in Panama for the first five hours of the fighting, by which time the heaviest action was already over. Outside of Pentagon pictures spoon-fed to journalists, little real information reached the American public. In El Chorrillo, the desperately poor neighborhood in Panama City where General Manuel Noriega's headquarters were located, at least 300 civilians died in the attack and resulting crossfire, some burned alive in their homes. Aside from the victims and US Army film crews, however, no one was allowed to observe the attack. The media dutifully reported the Pentagon's claim that only 202 civilians and 50 Panamanian soldiers died in the entire invasion, even though estimates from other sources ranged as high as 4,000 civilian deaths.

I have been looking, and all I can find is Korean and Vietnam mods.  Why doesn't someone take up the task of the grenada war!?

Even though the fight was over in three days, the mod seems like a very good idea and I was wondering if anyone has even thought about it yet?  The campaignitself would be the best part of the mod: go through and recount all of the battles that took place during the war.  It could take a long time, just make a VERY big campaign.

I know this would involve a lot of work, and I know it would take a LONG a** time, but it would turn out as the best modification most people have ever seen.  Details, textures, everything would be of the highest quality.  

So, anyone interested?  Eh?

AnarCHy
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2004, 13:08:30 by AnarCHy »

AnarCHy

Re:Grenada mod?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2004, 13:12:37 »
Sorry the image is so big... heh.

Just a map for the people to see what it was.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2004, 16:04:59 »
I think that picture should be linked to  ::)
Kinda screws up the page

Anyway, that island shouldn't be that hard to make, it's only, what, 10miles long..?

If you post something in the recruitment depot, you should get some people involved..?
- Ben

AnarCHy

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2004, 17:13:55 »
@ONIX - alright, I've submitted it to the Recruitment Depot, under mission maker.

And im gonna fix the pic soon mebbe... heh

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2004, 17:17:50 »
looks like malden with a lake in the middle

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2004, 17:29:23 »
What makes this such an interesting idea is not just that we could have an real world island made into an OPF island at a scale of 1:1 (which would be fantastic in and of itself) but that there was a war on the island at about the right time (mid 1980s).
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Jakerod

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2004, 17:44:24 »
Its actually too big for ofp but not by much. You could scale it down a bit or use one of those new and improoved 25km x 25km maps. Still would be a hard campaign to make because one of hte main actions was capturing the airport which invovled a battalion of rangers, tons of civilian planes, C-130s and helicopters plus the enemy forces.

AnarCHy

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2004, 18:13:32 »
No.. it will still have to be 1024x1024 because of how WRPTool doesn't allow you to choose that map size, and WRPEdit crashes, AND OFP crashes with those island sizes too.

But still yeah the mod is in the recruitment page (or will be soon ;) )
Anyone know how long it takes normally for one to be posted on there?

Alright, I am gonna try and get some sleep.  6 days up, no sleep, just lots and lots of sugar.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2004, 18:27:47 »
WrpEdit only supports the maximum size of 12.8 X 12.8 Km......(256 X 256).

I don't know about WrpTool or Visitor though.

25.6 X 25.6 Km........(512 X 512) maps work fine in OFP. (Tonal for instance), although they can be laggy, depending on how many objects are placed on them and how good your machine is (and other factors).

1024 X 1024 ........(51.2 X 51.2 Km)would be too much for most machines

Planck
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2004, 18:33:30 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2004, 18:31:53 »
Not long, I imagine
Check in a days time..

Just checking, is it only the main island your making?
Or the main island and a few of the smaller islands, or everything on that map ( :o ) :P
- Ben

AnarCHy

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2004, 19:18:15 »
heh... got my numbers messed back there, I meant 512x512

I was think 1024 cells - how it is measured in WRPTool.

@ ONIX - Well, I would first make the main part of the island group, then make another map like tonal did and have the smaller islands be that.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2004, 19:20:03 by AnarCHy »

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2004, 14:44:55 »
Pff, numbers  :-X
:P
Yeah, the 2 map idea is a smart idea
- Ben

BronzeEagle

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2004, 07:31:23 »
I'd just make Grenada and not the small islands.  If you went that route you could definitely get a 1:1 scale island for sure.  Then go in there, get specific, model the towns as close to realistic as possible.  But remember, only do the Grenada island.  You don't even need opposition forces, just use the tonali special forces addon.  You don't need a whole mod because you can just use whats already out and then just make the island, that and maybe some new buildings.  Someone tried making cuba once too.  Anyhow if that island gives me no lag, and its just the Grenada part you can count me in as mission maker provided we use the hyk modern infantry 85 units.  If you guys are trying to make a new m16 and all this other crap that is excessive, already out, and not needed then you can count me out.  Whichever route you choose my email is chambersburg_00@hotmail.com    
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2004, 07:35:13 by BronzeEagle »