Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: An artillery script needed  (Read 1827 times)

Offline KeyCat

• Members
Re:An artillery script needed
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jan 2003, 16:25:18 »
Thanks Dinger! Is it safe to say that all scripts using the "camCreate" command are not MP compatible or are there exceptions?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

- The journey is the reward!

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #16 on: 01 Jan 2003, 18:20:20 »
Well, camcreating artillery shells works in MP, it's just not desirable.
And if you use camcreate correctly, you can get MP effects that otherwise would not be obtainable.
In most cases where a shell is camcreated, you can go ahead and createvehicle.  In fact, you could dot hat to my artillery suite available int he tutorial section (just go to multifuzeburst and shottosplash and replace the camcreates with createvehicles), although the ICM would lag.
Actually, the reason why the ICM would lag is because there you've gota  case where a camcreate is a better choice.  Creating hundreds of projectiles nad transmitting them to all clients in the span ofa  second is a recipe for MP disaster.
If oyu look at what we did with the AP mines (CoC_mines), you'll see that we used camcreate for the projectiles, and with remote spoofing (=camcreating dummy bullets for the sound and visual effects on non-local machines).
That camcreate works that way is desirable.  CreateVehicle wasn't extended to shells until 1.85, and that's a goodt hing too.  Know your tools.
Dinger/Cfit

sans-pareil

« Reply #17 on: 01 Jan 2003, 19:03:42 »
Ah, that would explain a number of mysterious things. Thanks, this should help with further scripting.

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 02 Jan 2003, 10:39:43 »
Thanks again for clarifying Dinger!

I'm not trying to sound like an a** hole or start anything but sans-pareil before stating that your script works fine in MP please test it properly and make sure it works for all clients as well as for the host (if not a dedicated).

You tricked a newbie like myself to nearly pull all my hair since I thought we did something wrong in our end :) Anyway thanks for sharing even if it didn't work for us.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2003, 10:44:38 by KeyCat »

sans-pareil

« Reply #19 on: 02 Jan 2003, 13:01:07 »
Well, my apologies. Thing is, it does blow stuff up in MP, just doesn't do graphics. Hence, when I tested it, with me running the server... well, my fellow players didn't know what they were supposed to be seeing... so... they reported it worked fine to me too. Anyhoo, this ought to make it work fine. If I can now get my creeping barrage to work I will be very pleased.

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jan 2003, 19:43:05 »
Really no need for an apology sans-pareil... I used your stuff out of my free will and I'm happy people are willing to share their scripts.

Out of the experince I got over the past weeks since starting with OFP scripting I will begin all my scripts that I release to the public with the following header...

Code: [Select]
;
; Name: SOMETHING.SQS
; Version: 1.00
; Date: 030101
; Author: KeyCat
;
; Compability: SP and MP
; Tested with: OFP:R 1.90
;
; Description:
;
; This script bla bla........
;

This will hopefully make other newbies looking at it less confused about if a script is designed/tested for multiplayer or not. Maybe you pro's already have a "standard header" but I haven't seen any?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2003, 21:05:18 by KeyCat »

sheltem

« Reply #21 on: 09 Mar 2003, 22:24:02 »
Hello!

I'tried to replace the camcreate command with the createvehicle command to make this working in a mp mission...But I just get an error message saying "shell125" bad vehicle typ.. ???
What am I doing wrong?
"Shell125" CreateVehicle [_posdetx+(sin(random(360))*(random(10))),_posdety+(cos(random(360))*(random(10))),0]

sheltem

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #22 on: 09 Mar 2003, 22:43:13 »
let me guess sheltem, you have v. 1.46?
CreateVehicle only works with shells from 1.85 ff.  Before then you had to spoof it (and who spoofs stuff like that?). That's why there are so many camcreate artillery scripts out there.
Dinger/Cfit

Offline libriut99

• Members
  • 2b or not 2b, who cares ???
« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2003, 13:04:41 »
I'm also using reapers script for artillery . it is very good .
but I've tried to modify it to use the onmapsingleclick command but it didn't work ..
did someone try it ?
before 'Zee germans get there ...