Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SimFlak! AA ambiance with no AI :D  (Read 7859 times)

Grendel

SimFlak! AA ambiance with no AI :D
« on: 25 Mar 2004, 09:16:23 »
Hey there everyone, heres a little nifty little script for your enjoyment.

SimFlak uses the Drop command to create simulated AA MG tracer fire as well as truly lethal AAA Flak, uses no AI, needs no special vehicles and is generally just kick @$$. ;)

Remember the news footage of a certain Iraqi capital under air attack?  The languid arc of tracer fire that seems to hang in the air, the popcorn like puffs of Flak...Well here you go.  The regular simulated AA MG fire does no damage and is purely for ambiance and deeper immersion.  The Flak is visually similar, but is also quite lethal.  SimFlak can be "attatched" to any unit (even empty units), compensates for lead, range, and speed, and just has to be seen to be appreciated fully.  I'm sure it will find a welcome home in any mission designer's arsenal.

This is a Beta and is being improved as you read this.  Any feedback and/or suggestions (and naturally compliments  :) ) are welcome!

-Grendel

Grendel

Re:SimFlak! AA ambiance with no AI :D
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2004, 09:18:56 »
The zip with the ReadMe.txt was 1 frickin K over the 50K limit so heres the ReadMe for those interested...

-Grendel

sa8gecko

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2004, 18:22:51 »
I just tried out your sample mission: it looks really good. One suggestion
would be to elevate a little more over the target (in function of its
distance from the shooter), because as now the tracer appear to arrive
low on target. This critic a part, I like the explosion of the shells, even
if they should be reserved for 40mm or more weapons (I think).
Anyway, this script could be used to give a lot of atmosphere in a night
mission. Or using it aboard big ships (simulating a Phalanx, perhaps).
Finally, a request: can I borrow some of your code, should the need arise ?

Grendel

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2004, 19:31:11 »
Thanks for the feedback!  I am working on fine tuning the alogorithms to help adjust the for the "arc".  The math is a little rough right now, and I admit I was putting more effort into the lead calculation than the elevation, but I am tweaking it.  The explosive Flak is supposed to represent a 40mm (bofors equivalent), I just had the m163 as a placeholder unit to demonstrate the flexibility of being able to "attatch" the SimFlak to any unit.  You could easily set it up to work on a ship to simulate the Phalanx defense systems.  I have to tweak a few lines to have it look right on moving vehicles though.

The latest update ( V.91) is already done, and will be ready for upload tonight.  It has an autonomous target tracking/managent script that works pretty well.  The script tracks any number of air targets, and engages any contacts that come within range.  Once a target is destroyed or flies out of range, the script will begin tracking again, and will engage the next victim that comes within range.

Feel free to use code from my scripts, just include me in the credits please! ;D

-Grendel

Grendel

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2004, 15:46:28 »
Heres the latest incarnation, sorry this is brief (it's my birthday today!).

It features the new auto target management feature!

-Grendel

sa8gecko

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2004, 19:19:56 »
I gave a look at the new version. Since this is betatesting ...
The first time I tried it, OFP spitted some error (the scripts work ok
anyway), but I wasn't able to replicate. radar.sqs is empy: future
version ? (or am I blind ?). Targeting wasn't particularly accurate
(as in first version): maybe trying with 'velocity eair', so to take into
account z direction ? Anyway I believe you are just starting, and I
don't want to contribute to your divorce. The script is already good
(I think) to be used in some night/dusk/dawn mission, for those daring
pilots on enemy skies ...
BTW: I put myself in a target chopper: quite impressive to
be in the wrong place ! This is definitely a must see in a night
mission!
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2004, 20:11:28 by sa8gecko »

Sniper_Kyle

« Reply #6 on: 01 Apr 2004, 22:39:07 »
YA, Now if only there was a way that sum1 could make an addon that, when you shoot the aaa cannon after a set period of time the bullet would blow up like a real flak! :D

Cheers,
   Sniper_Kyle ;D

Grendel

« Reply #7 on: 02 Apr 2004, 04:06:09 »
Ok, I'm back (and still hungover from roughly 3 gallons of Dublin's finest Stout  :P)

Thanks for the additional input sa8gecko, your continued interest is appreciated!  I will be addressing all the issues you brought up post haste.  Ha ha, glad you brought up what it was like to be on the recieving end of SimFlak!

YA, Now if only there was a way that sum1 could make an addon that, when you shoot the aaa cannon after a set period of time the bullet would blow up like a real flak!

Hmmmmm, I think I can work something up without making an addon, per say...The power of scripting rivals that of a diety-

*gets struck by lightning*

...Or not.

-Grendel

ps: I'm fine, it turns out the lighting was just drop created....hmmmm that gives me an idea ;)
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2004, 04:09:00 by Grendel »

sa8gecko

« Reply #8 on: 02 Apr 2004, 11:21:13 »
Ha ha, glad you brought up what it was like to be on the recieving end of SimFlak!
You should really put up some screenshots, I bet interest will raise
quickly.

About the timed explosion, I'm not an expert, but when a drop
particle 'dies', a script can be executed, isn't it ? The problem will
only be then to calculate exactly TOT, and set the 'life time'
value of the particle accordingly. But, well, I like it most when simply
tracers fly around you, when you're in a plane being targeted.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2004, 17:46:06 by sa8gecko »

Sniper_Kyle

« Reply #9 on: 02 Apr 2004, 21:39:44 »
Aww man do you know just HOW MANY PEOPLE would be interested and drooling over an actual firable FLAK GUN!!!!???  I would be drooling like a SPED! :P

Cheers,
    Sniper_Kyle ;D

Grendel

« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2004, 00:01:33 »
Aww man do you know just HOW MANY PEOPLE would be interested and drooling over an actual firable FLAK GUN!!!!???

Work has already begun, and shows early promise... :)

-Grendel

-Update:  
actual firable FLAK GUN
is now a reality :D screeies to come soon.
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2004, 18:00:33 by Grendel »

Grendel

« Reply #11 on: 03 Apr 2004, 21:49:26 »
Ok, here's the deal,

All the proof of concept work is done on the player controlled Flak.  It uses a bullet tracking script to track each fired round, waits untill the round travels the distance to the target, deletevehicles the round, and camcreates the Flak effect.  And It works great ;D

Like all my scripts, it is very flexible and can work with any unit.  In fact, to test it, I turned a PK into a death spewing Flak machine  8).  

I need to impliment/refine a few features: I just realized ( :P duh) how to use the pythagrean theorem and the ASL height function to calculate distance in 3D, so I need to add this.  I need to come up with a user friendly targeting interface as well.  Screen shots/beta zip coming tonight!

-Grendel

Sniper_Kyle

« Reply #12 on: 04 Apr 2004, 06:09:28 »
3 words....Oh....My...God....I have been waiting for something like this for SO long and now it is finally becoming a reality!  I cant wait for the screenies! (begins to drool :P )

Cheers,
    Sniper_Kyle ;D

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #13 on: 04 Apr 2004, 06:48:23 »
Wow. Another great script Grendel! I have a few comments though:

The tracers don't really look right, IMO. They look more like fireballs (maybe cause they are fire particles lol). I think you should use the cl_fired particle instead of cl_fire; both of them glow in the dark, but cl_fired doesn't have the fire-color like the other one. I'm not sure the color of real flak, which is something to look into; but I know it should have a constant color all the way through, not red here, yellow there, etc.

You should also make the particles smaller. And to make them look more like a "line" (a point of light travelling at high speed looks like a line, not a point), you could drop maybe 3-5 of them with very little delay between, giving  them all the same velocity. Thus you would have a line of particles travelling through the air; find the right balance between size of particles, delay between them, and number of particles per "shot", and it should end up looking much better.

Now if only there was a way that sum1 could make an addon that, when you shoot the aaa cannon after a set period of time the bullet would blow up like a real flak

Check out the Wargames mod; it has exactly what you are looking for (from what I've read). It wouldn't be too hard to script either; just use a fired EH to catch fired bullets, and run a simple script on each one that waits a second or so, then camcreates in some explosives at the bullets location.

Say, Grendel... little off topic, but I've got a question about your ACH-130 script. I really want to use it in a mission, but I want to have the real thing; meaning, the ac-130 plane, not helo. I tried using the script with a c-130 addon (Cpt. Moores I think?), but it didn't work quite right. The plane would make a much bigger loop than the helo (as expected), but when it fired, it would aim too low, so the rounds would fall way short; it kinda looked like it aimed in the same place the helo would aim, only now it had a much larger radius around the target. Any chance you could modify the script so it is useable with a C130 addon? If so, I would even recommend getting together with the author of a c-130, and integrating your scripts into the addon for easy AC-130s, and more publicity for yourself.

Hey, have you ever thought about joining the ECP? We could use more great scripting talent like you.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Grendel

« Reply #14 on: 04 Apr 2004, 08:14:59 »
 :)  Gosh, I am overwhelmingly flattered  :)

First off, here's the new zip with the player fired Flak!  I don't know if it works like the Wargames MOD, but it times the "fuze" on the shell depending on the distance to the current "radar locked" (the script based radar not the hard-coded lock) target (or, if no lock, the shell "self destructs" after a bit). So there you go Sniper_kyle, If you, or anyone else for that matter, wants the fireable flak gun script separate then let me know.  It has the advantage that it can be attatched to any fireable weapon/vehicle/unit.

Hey again General Barron, I will try to work on the realism of the tracers...This project started as a litle script for Capt Ryan and escalated into something much larger!  I still have to refine the targeting algorithms for the aa mg's and the non AI Flak (got sidetracked integrating the fireable Flak :))  I am experimenting with different cl_* particles, if anyone has done a comprehensive list of what is out there beside cl_basic/cl_water/cl_fire (and now cl_fired) I would be interested.  So hopefully things can be made to look better in the future.

BTW, the spooky script is still being refined.  Too-Tall and Trench Feet are both using/working on incorporating it into future addons, and I am still sorting out some kinks with it  :-\  This project (as well as all the other stuff Ive got going on) is about to be dwarfed by a soon to be released uber-script based MOD, so the going is relatively slow.

Hey, have you ever thought about joining the ECP? We could use more great scripting talent like you

Thanks!! :D  I have been in touch with the project leader...alas the forementioned projects and real-life have me swamped right now.  I do intend to contribute what I can in the future.

Without further adoo(or whatever)  heres the new Zip.  Sorry but I included one non-BIS unit:  I put in a "VIT APC" ZSU-23m(hd) (see DKM MODs to get it) as the player firable Flak unit, if you don't have it yet I'm sorry (If you guys want I'll release a version with an empty M2a2 instead...I just need some sleep at the moment).  You will need to get in the ZSU to activate the AAA cluster's "radar". The current locked target now has a "HUD" targeting feature.  Enjoy and unleash the contructive criticism...

-Grendel

Sorry for the lack of screenies :(  I can't seem to get the files down to a reasonable size (I'm a PSP n00b :-[)
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2004, 08:30:38 by Grendel »