Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A shau Valley beta here  (Read 13571 times)

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
Re:A shau Valley beta here
« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2004, 13:30:26 »
hey

okay, i've cleared up my comp quite a bit, deleting old addons and misions i don't play anymore and the island seems to run ok, it only tends to slow down when i stick a full scale VC assault on it, lol.

The less laggy version of the island sounds good, i only recommend you delete a few of the trees and some small villages, depends what other people think aswell.

I'm going to try the canopy just to see what it's like, god have mercy on my comp :-\

can't wait for the final version of the island to be released but just don't rush it please, i hate it when people do that and it turns out crap when theres been lots of hype for it.  >:(

cheers

sim
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

OFP-SpecOps

« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2004, 19:41:49 »
Having both islands available for download is a good idea. People who like to play internet multiplayer may appreciate the lower lag island and those of us who mostly enjoy the single player missions may prefer the double canopy map.

I run the map on an AMD 1.3 Ghz CPU and have no noticable problems with lag using the new map. I'm sure it will be different with a sky full of helicopters and huge amounts of troops but I prefer the LRRP/Recondo style missions for the most part.

cj525 a couple of things;
The trail leading west from hamburger hill has several trees right on the trail, that probably isn't intentional. Will the NVA waypoints follow those trails or is there further work needed on the map for that to happen?
How much do you plan to flesh out the map until release? I like it now so I am just curious.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2004, 19:43:27 by OFP-SpecOps »

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #32 on: 19 Apr 2004, 03:12:37 »
THe double canopy has placed trees in the middle of some paths but a little adjusting of the paths will solve that. I'm covering alot of ground on the map I'm hoping 2 weeks to a month before final release.

I've run the island with a shed load of heli's and found it to lag when your ridding them as apposed to watching them.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2004, 03:17:30 by cj525 »

vlada

« Reply #33 on: 19 Apr 2004, 21:47:57 »
There are (in Sebnam_obj.pbo and Seb_ilo.pbo) two p3d models with the same name, but the models are diiferent >>>

seble_su_ctver_pruhozi.p3d

???

I sent PM about it to Ebud. I hope, that it will be fixed this bug.

fighter

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #34 on: 19 Apr 2004, 23:03:13 »
Hey Vlada

There wont be a problem with the forest with the same names. This is because the paths are diferent one is from the sebnam pbo and one is from the sebilo pbo. THanks for pointing this out though.

:thumbsup:

Sniper_Kyle

« Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2004, 01:32:28 »
Otherwise my other suggestions are more like personal requests.
On the Laos / west side of the valley (Hamburgerhill area) could you...

Did...I...hear....Laos....i didnt know Laos was on this map...I never saw it. I could have some fun with this because I know some Vietcongs that are from that area, and, ironically enough, have retired in America :o  I must check this out :D

Cheers,
    Sniper_Kyle ;D

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2004, 23:21:44 »
Hey sniper

I'm seriously thinking of putting out a laos/cambodia island, I've located some very detailed maps of the AO's of the lrrps and sogs RT's, I'm just putting out initail feelers to see if there would be interest. THis project wont start until this map is finished though.

OFP-SpecOps

« Reply #37 on: 24 Apr 2004, 20:14:07 »
Another island idea if you are open to it....
Quang Tri province along the DMZ. the area from the South China Sea to Laos was around 30 miles only a little larger than the max map area in OFP. It could include a little bit of Laos, North Vietnam as well as Khe Sanh.

The map would have some potential since there are some bridges and the possibility of tanks from the north.

Offline Wadmann

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm the next evolutionary step after a llama!
« Reply #38 on: 25 Apr 2004, 03:45:28 »
I had some problems with the island. :( On loading, I got this error message:

Code: [Select]
Error loading bas_o\_grass\_bas_grasslonggreen.p3d (Magic)
I also CTD when exiting from this map but do not if I load a different map first.  ???

I have not seen anyone else post this problem but myself so it must be my problem locally. I do have Tonal loaded but in a different mod folder. Any idea of what the problem is? Thanks for any help offered.

Wadmann

Check out my Camouflage Collection! New items added 31 July 2005.

Offline Killswitch

• Members
  • Peace, cheese and ArmA
« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2004, 06:11:50 »
Island looks promising, cj. A few problems though (tried the 1.3 beta):

Problem summary:
  • The addon ought to be using the OFPEC tag system.
  • Needs to have its addon dependencies specified.
  • Permission to use Tonal islands objects?
OFPEC tag compliance
In this day and age, not using an OFPEC tag for your addon is bad form. I suggest you register "CJ525" as your addon tag and rework the island to "cj525_ashau.pbo" and "cj525_ashau_obj.pbo" and adjust the config and other paths to reflect that. Read more about the why's and how's of tags here: About tags

Addon dependencies
You need to declare the addons the island depends on in its config. This will make the island usable in mod folders and on dedicated servers for multiplayer games. As far as I can tell, it is dependant on the user having the following addons loaded alongside this island: sebnam_obj.pbo, seb_ilo.pbo and bas_o.pbo.

A reworked and bug fixed CfgPatches for a cj525_ashau.pbo will look like this:
Code: [Select]
class CfgPatches
{
   class cj525_ashau
   {
      units[] = {};
      worlds[] = {"cj525_ashau"};
      requiredVersion = 1.91;
      requiredAddons[]={sebnam_obj, seb_ilo, bas_o};
   };

};
//
// rest of the island config follows. References to \ashau\ changed to \cj525_ashau\ to
// reflect the proper use of the OFPEC tag system
//

The BAS Tonal objects
Here's an excerpt from the BAS_ISLE_readme.txt that came with the Tonal + OFPOR addons:
Due to the extensive / excessive amount of work put into this project to make the Tonal isle unique, copyright is claimed on the original work.
This addon is not to be altered or edited for any purpose without the express permission of the authors. Nor should it be distributed except in the form provided. Ask for permission to use any Tonal objects/textures BEFORE using them in another project. Requests will be considered some time after release.
I suggest you sort that out before the final release.

Keep up the good work and we can soon have lots of Hamburger Hill missions  ;D

Regards
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2004, 06:22:05 by Killswitch »

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #40 on: 28 Apr 2004, 20:25:43 »
hey Kill switch

Thanks for the info, this is my first foray into island building, so this feed back is great. THe config input is a great help.

I'll definitly have to talk to the guys which files I used for this island to ask for permission. Just like the real world. If I had to produce all the objects this island would not have come to fruition. Thanks again for the heads up.

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #41 on: 08 May 2004, 15:50:26 »
well folks I've been doing alot of work on the island, updating the vills adding roads/ trails, fixing the openings into the bases so the ai will enter, clearing the roads for vehicles,and moving vills to thier proper location.  I wont release anymore betas until I feel it's done. Your feedback has greatly improved this island. The next islands wont take as much time.

thanks

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #42 on: 12 May 2004, 21:04:54 »
Wow!

I started an Ashau map 2 years ago and gave up 8)

Looks good, can't wait for finished product.
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

PRiME

« Reply #43 on: 14 May 2004, 03:21:04 »
Interesting island, could you perhaps ask the BAS team if you could remove the objects and place them in your island.

So we don't need tonal, as I wanna use this island for a server BUT I don't wanna have tonal island on it so its kinda a drag if you gotta download 3 islands just to get 1 island working.

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #44 on: 14 May 2004, 15:48:01 »
hey PRIME

I've put the request in to use their text/obj. just waiting to here back from them.