Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A shau Valley beta here  (Read 13561 times)

Kaliyuga

Re:A shau Valley coming soon
« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2004, 03:47:56 »
Here's a download link for you all..

http://members.cox.net/everoncartel/cjashau.zip

:cheers:

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
Re:A shau Valley coming soon
« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2004, 15:11:51 »
great, i'm going to download this tomorrow,  ;D

can't do it now i'm in RAF cosford.

sim
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline Wadmann

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm the next evolutionary step after a llama!
Re:A shau Valley beta here
« Reply #17 on: 05 Apr 2004, 21:26:29 »
Hey cj525!

First of all, great island! :thumbsup: I think that the bases are some of the best looking that I have seen on an island yet. But this leads me to my only real complaint about the island. The enemy AI only enter the bases from one point. If you attempt an "overrun" type of mission, all of the AI work their way around the base to the main entrance. There is no way for them to get into the base with all of the objects so close together. Perhaps you could remove some of the base fortifications and/or use some AI "paths" to follow. On BAS's Tonal island, they have made some invisible roadways so the AI can enter from multiple locations. Other than this minor issue, I really enjoy this island.

I also noticed some floating trees on the south shore of the island, somewhere in the "M" grids (sorry for not giving exact location, but I am at work and doing this from memory).

Keep up the great work on this island and look forward to the next release!

Wadmann
Check out my Camouflage Collection! New items added 31 July 2005.

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 06 Apr 2004, 20:49:29 »
Thanks for the input I'll work on the AI paths for the base and create some openings for game play. Again thanks for the feed back on the floating trees, this is going to be the biggest job left on this island. It seems that the placement of trees worked when I initially started the island but now the same methods are not working, I have to place each forest section individually or they just float unless it's on level ground  ???.  

OFP-SpecOps

« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2004, 02:28:59 »
I have been checking out the Island and I really like it. Just a few things so far;

As Wadmann indicated, the AI pathing for the bases needs work. I choppered troops to the Eagles Nest Base and none of the AI soldiers were able to follow me outside the perimeter to patrol.

Otherwise my other suggestions are more like personal requests.
On the Laos / west side of the valley (Hamburgerhill area) could you add some double canopy jungle for atmosphere. I know that will kill some low end PC's. Also I would like to see a few more trails on the map. Finally, the southeast area of the map is pretty empty.

I understand the map is still beta and you are fleshing it out. I do a lot of Vietnam missions and this map will be a lot of fun when it is finished.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2004, 02:30:05 by OFP-SpecOps »

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 10 Apr 2004, 18:43:06 »
THis is great feed back, As this is my first attempt at an island the constructive criticism is very welcome.

I'm modifying the bases with AI paths and openings. I'll try the double canopy, but the close proximity of the overlapping forest may create an AI problem. I'll give it a go though. THere are still portions of the island which arent at the finishing stages, I focused on the Valley / towns and surrounding areas first.  The paths shown on the map are the primary paths which I was able to find in that area during that period, there were many more smaller trails, and some of those will be inserted.

I've just got my hands on some very good maps showing alot more detail of the area so I'll be incorporating what I find in these maps aswell. If you have any maps or pics they will be welcome.

Spec-ops If your doing alot of missons would you be intersted in collaborating on a campaign? 101st line unit to LRRPS to SOG. let me know

OFP-SpecOps

« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2004, 00:10:45 »
cj525 I may be interesting in contributing as a play tester or something. My missions may seem simple or crude compared to what is out there these days.

I don't make scripts I just use a few favorites found here at OFPEC. I am working on two short missions using your A Shau map. I will remove all except the NAM Pack addons I used and forward them to you to have a look. If it is something you like let me know, if not no problem. I am open to constructive feedback also.

thanks for asking  :)

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2004, 01:11:38 »
RE island the bases are almost finished with the AI paths and openings I will post new release this Sunday evening Eastern standard time.

Beta1.1 with AI friendly bases done (let me know what you think)
the download is at the original post of this thread under freewebs. I'll be uploading to Kal's site shortly.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2004, 18:09:24 by cj525 »

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #23 on: 14 Apr 2004, 05:27:37 »
I've had a request by Specops to introduce a double canopy to some areas of the map heres a quick pic. let me know what you think.

Homefry31464

« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2004, 00:45:38 »
Looks really good man.

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2004, 17:44:50 »
hey

i still havn't had chance to play your amazing looking island (been on my hols for 2 weeks) but when i got back this morning i decided to have a go on it and upon reading the read me discovered you need BAS Tonals, that completely kills my comp  :( so i was wondering if there was any way you could cut down on the addons???

cheers

sim
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2004, 18:24:44 »
Hey sim,

Re the tonal stuff. I used some bushes and trees from the tonal mod (They really add atmosphere). I didn't use to much of the mod as it slows down my comp aswell. Just a note don't download the double canopy release of this island as it will kill your comp. THat release is for high end kick butt comps. Just download beta 1.1.

If you find it still slowing your comp down I might have to do a modded Island for normal comps. Let me know as it wont be that hard to do just a couple days work (have to sink parts of island and swap out/delete veg).

cj
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2004, 18:25:09 by cj525 »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2004, 22:07:28 »
Here's a link to the new version.. deleted the older version from my webspace to save space.
http://members.cox.net/everoncartel/cjashauBeta11.zip

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2004, 06:40:52 »
Thanks Kaliyuga this is a real help as I've been getting feed back to the freeweb  server dumping during download to some peps.

I've uploaded beta1.3 (lots of double canopy) to the freeweb page. I've kept the beta1.1 on the main webpage as this version will run on most comps.

Looks like I'll release a high end island and a low end island.

I've noticed that the sebilo forest (used in the double canopy) does not have an issue with the floating tree prob. Could the seb idrang forest be reconfiged, or is it a deeper problem?

Cheers for the feed back and support.

OFP-SpecOps

« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2004, 07:49:14 »
I really like the changes, the map has real atmosphere with the double canopy.

There are good places to run ambushes, good visibility in other areas for longer range engagments, Thick jungle for suspensful patoling, hills. This is the map I have been waiting for.

Excellent work!

Thanks.