Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: update? JAM, ECP  (Read 1920 times)

calm_terror

update? JAM, ECP
« on: 31 Dec 2003, 16:59:08 »
any idea when JAM might be updated?
and any idea when ECP will be updated as well?

LoserOne

Re:update? JAM, ECP
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2004, 13:05:46 »
It would be great when that happend, but im afraid JAM is forgotten by his very makers  :(
  even though there is a lot in JAM that has to be done, like converting all the vehicles that they have JAMmed drivers etc. and changing the acuracy of the AI shooting with the .50 cal or AI tank gunners with holy machinegun skills   :-\

I certainly hope JAM will be revived soon for it is a great project

LoserOne

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2004, 15:14:07 »
JAM is ONLY for soldier based weapons, so it wont be added to tanks and armed vehicles.

JAM doesnt need to be revived, it is, in its current state, complete and useable.

The idea behind it is to make infantry weapons compatible, so you can pick up mags from other soldiers and use them in your weapon (provided it is of the same type) JAM is NOT to standardise vehicle weapons etc. But you knew that, because you've read the readme right? ;)

calm_terror

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2004, 20:09:59 »
Actual there is a few types of ammo left out of JAM.
why isn't there an Stinger or stuff.
and other types of RPG's..
and if I remember right there is a few mag types left out.
like a 35round 5.56mm mag or a 25round 7.65mm mag.
and a few different types of sniper rounds.

as for a vechical one. yeah I knew that.. I try to stranderize them by taking editing all the add-ons i use the most  and picking wich ones feel the best.. but a JAM for land vechicals would be kinda cool to stranderize the add-ons out there.
there is already that beginings of aircraft "JAM" in that pavehawk pack the minigun.. I could easly see that expanded to other aircraft weapons..

LoserOne

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2004, 11:07:00 »
Useable yes but I dont think JAM is complete. It would be very nice to have all the standard BIS vehicles crewed with JAM personell (this would make converting normal mission to JAM very easy).  

JAM has achieved his goals but there could be done more with JAM then only making infantry based weapons compatible. The weapon models that come with JAM could be replaced by high res ones, like suchey and earls, inq's or maybe complete new ones (too bad sucheys weapons hasnt got a replacement for all the standard BIS weapons). Because when HYKs completely remodeled and retextured GIs ::) were released many people whined about the GIs using ugly JAM weapons based on old BIS models.

The HD idea is great, and this could be further used in tanks I think. What was needed to make the AI infantry shoot a little bit less accurate concerns AI in tanks aswell.

I made a little addon to include most of the old bis vehicles with JAM soldiers it can be downloaded here
http://www.derue.demon.nl/L01_Vehicles.pbo. (Maybe I forgot a vehicle or two.)

LoserOne

calm_terror

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2004, 12:13:12 »
it is pretty easy to take anyones weapons and recode them for JAM.
I just did it for bib uk weapons.
I also did it for digital gernade's weapons and soldiers.
I did not use their JAM since it was pointless to add ANOTHER pbo that jsut added jam to the front of the weapons...

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2004, 12:17:00 »
Useable yes but I dont think JAM is complete. It would be very nice to have all the standard BIS vehicles crewed with JAM personell (this would make converting normal mission to JAM very easy).

Yes, but this is not the point of JAM. If it was meant to be a total conversion, it would be a total conversion.

What JAM is, and I'll quote from the JAM page:

"Joint Ammo and Mags project (JAM) is a magazine standard developed by BAS and Digital Grenade for use with all our units. We also invite other addonmakers/mods to use JAM to improve compatibility between similar version of weapons made by different people."  

JAM has achieved his goals but there could be done more with JAM then only making infantry based weapons compatible. The weapon models that come with JAM could be replaced by high res ones, like suchey and earls, inq's or maybe complete new ones (too bad sucheys weapons hasnt got a replacement for all the standard BIS weapons). Because when HYKs completely remodeled and retextured GIs ::) were released many people whined about the GIs using ugly JAM weapons based on old BIS models.

Yes, this would be nice, but it would make JAM inaccessable to people with slower net connections. As it stands, the coding on its own is ~1MB, the sounds being ~4MB. This allready makes it a large download for people on 56k. To include lots of high-res models and textures would make this shoot up to ~20MB or even larger file sizes. This is not good for a file that we want to be commonly used.

The HD idea is great, and this could be further used in tanks I think. What was needed to make the AI infantry shoot a little bit less accurate concerns AI in tanks aswell.

Yes, some form of standardised vehicle weapons would be good, but not as part of JAM. Since vehicles cannot take ammo from each other in the same way you would take magazines from fallen comrades, there would be no point in having a set addon for this purpose. The better way to achive standardisation for this kind of weaponry would be to produce a page with data for agreed values for the weapons. This way people can take on the advice, code their own weapons, and still have their own sounds or their own special feel to the weapon.

Whilst these are all good, valid ideas, they do not suit the JAM package or idea. Maybe for some other standard, but not JAM.

LoserOne

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2004, 13:26:15 »
agreed, well, I'd better begin a new topic at the addon ideas section then. Thanks for the feedback DeadMeat :)
It would be nice to have JAM as a total conversion though... The problem with JAM at this point is you will have soldiers running around with JAM ammo AND other non compatible ammo, like BIS's.

@calm_terror: its not the question that its easy to convert addons to JAM, but it has to done by somebody.  And preferably in a way that other people can use it too. If you just alter an existing addon you are disrespecting the work of the original addonmaker (if you were to release your altered addon that is).

LoserOne

calm_terror

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2004, 14:35:46 »
yeah hence the reason I never release anything.
and I only do this and tweak other add-ons cuz some of the add-ons out there are cool but just have terrible configs..
if you want more add ons with JAM complain to add on makers.

the oen funny thing aboot JAM is that one of the makers of it release their marine pack non jam then later made another pack with jam weapons.. JAm is kinda forgotten alot of the time..

LoserOne

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2004, 15:03:33 »
This acuracy problem is more a problem to be solved by a new config... It would of course be great to have people agree on weapon stats of new weapon addons, but neither that nor JAM is the answer to AI shooting you between the eyes at distances of 250 m.

Only the ECP config could incorporate new AI skills and weapon stats but then they would lose MP compatibility  :noo: with normal configs right?

:-\

LoserOne *getting pessimistic*

Komuna

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2004, 15:43:07 »
Only the ECP config could incorporate new AI skills and weapon stats but then they would lose MP compatibility  :noo: with normal configs right?

Of course. But all players must have ECP, so that no bugs occur.
1.073 soon: bouncing grenades, new NVG optics screen, new resources, several bugs corrected.

LoserOne

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2004, 16:05:17 »
About grenades, there can occur pretty strange things when you throw a grenade while you're lying on the ground.

I fire my gun, drop to the ground and throw a grenade - the grenade drops right before my nose and explodes in my face, with all consequences.
OR
 - the grenade lands where I aimed, and just before it explodes a second grenade pops out of my shoulder and kills me!  :o it flys through the air and lands on the spot where the first grenade landed and explodes.

I am running the latest ECP with explosion simulation on and timed grenades off. No problems with timed grenades.

Sounds familiar?

LoserOne

Kammak

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2004, 21:54:58 »
RE: The Marine Assault Pack and JAM

Suchey has posted updated pbos as well as two scripts that re-equip ANY MAP unit (Russian and USMC) with all JAM loadouts.

The updated pbos fix *all* the errors (that were noticed) in the original MAP JAM pbos, and adds additional support for JAM HD mags, JAM GP25 and JAM 40mm grenades.

The new pbos also work like the updated BAS Rangers...in that the JAM compatible weapons can use JAM mags, JAM HD mags, and the original MAP magazines as well.

The link can be found from Digital Grenade's Marine Assault Pack forum.

Forum Message (with additional info):

http://www.digitalgrenade.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=MarPak;action=display;num=1079078411

Download Link:

http://www.mtco.com/games/downloads/usmc/jam/
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2004, 22:06:01 by Kammak »