Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: North Devon Terrain...  (Read 11844 times)

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
North Devon Terrain...
« on: 21 Aug 2002, 04:47:39 »
Well I have done more to my terrain I am making and though I would let everyone see the pics.

With the hopefull release of O2 much of what you see will actauly be scrapped and replced with new objects such as buildings and solid hedges (round here about 6-7foot high and 5 foot wide...)

Anyway.

Pic1

Piccy no longer available, but check later in this topic

A general view of the new airfield textures, the pink and yellow lines are for object placement and will be removed when I have finished placing the objects.

Pic2

Piccy no longer available, but check later in this topic

This image shows the apron and the area where the hangers will sit, they hangers will be on the right of the picture, between the junctions on the straights, note each of the hangers is over 200ft in length.

This is a pre O2 image of one of the 2 types of hangers int he above, the opposite end of this is open acroos the whole width of 100ft

Again larger images available on my website

Some of the older pictures are also on my website but I am not putting them on here again..

CBFASI's Homepage

I estimate that this will not be finished until the new year, mainly due to the shear volume of objects to be placed.  This terrain is extremly dense with many small enclosed fields, in many ways much like Normandy.

Its a local project for me, I live just 2 miles from the eastern edge of the actual map, and the terrain is based on a real location (but not 100% acurate, am not that mad).
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2002, 03:32:08 by CBFASI »
CBF Shipbuilding

SFG

Re:North Devon Terrain...
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2002, 04:51:56 »
Looking good!  8)

Marksman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2002, 20:37:09 »
Yep certainly is looking good, nice one m8

I mentioned that ilsDirection prob on the official forum as a bug, so hopefully they'll sort it in a patch, and you can get that lovely lookin runway going properly.  8)

Keep u posted if i hear anything.

Oh, and don't rush it to get it made, i know it'll be a pain in the ass to get all the objects positioned, but the more time you spend on it, the better its gonna look  ;D

Keep it up!!

Marksman

Jakerod

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2002, 23:13:07 »
Hey all that looks great...Hope you get that object number down with the new hedges you are gonna make... I think your island will be one of the best islands around (next to mine ;D )
Just kidding it will be much better than mine.

Waterman

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2002, 23:28:39 »
One of the best airports I've seen! :o

Wish I could make textures as good as that...(it that's what you used for the runways...)

Anyway, looking very good...
Puts mine to shame... :-[

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2002, 00:56:17 »
Well theres 344 individual textures on that airfield, thats a 3728Kb pbo just for the textures.......
The textures weren't as hard as I thought they would be, but you need alot of patiance.

I had a map of the area, scaled it so that for every 50m I had a 128pixel range.

Then drew and filled in the areas.
This the boring part....
Set up a grid 128x128, set snap grid ON, then made selections of every texture that had more than just grass, noted postion and saved just the seleciotn using a name relating to its postion.

Converted all to correct TGA, then...
Loaded each texture one by one into texview and changed to a paa.

Loaded all into a  pbo and the rest was very easy, using he simple co-ordinates I used.  

In this case it means the field above cannot be changed without redoing alot of work, I actaully completely scapped the old version of these textures and there was over 700 in that one.....

I may soon be able to solve the hedge/object limit problem if this rumour about Oxygen is correct.  I hope to do a simple grass bank with bushes on, in 25m,12,6m and 3m sections so they can be placed alongside the roads (and other hedge locations)
It will be based on the hedging around here which go from 4ft-10ft high and on average is 5ft thick

I will do a few with passable gaps and hope to make it so that men generally cannot go over (unless they find a gap), wheeled vehicles cannot but tracked can.

This would reduce the number of objects by at least a factor of ten as far as the hedging would be concerned.

As for the Ils I am resetting it to use one of the disused runways, its temporary but it should work as its about 30deg from north.  Oh Marksman can you put that bit all about how to do it again up, its gone and I never saved the pages.

This is a long project and I wont rush it, I criticise it every time I drive through the area, and now due to the above rumour I am assesing the number of new houses I will need to build as non of the ones in OFP or OFP:R come close to the ones built here in the last 0-40 years, yeah a few old ones might look similiar but in general not.

I estimate in the region of 100 new buildings, including those on the airfield (thankfully the married quarters buildings are all a standard design...)

I also hope to do signs etc,  including the speed limit signs..

??? ??? ???
Now heres a question.  Here in the UK we use Mph, but the game uses Km/h..
Should I do the signs as correct for UK or use metric? ???

Lets just say this map is hard work for one alone but due to the way Wrpedit presently works, most maps are really a one person job unless you have friends nearby or have fast internet connection (56k sucks).

I will let yuo all know whats gong on as I work on this as I am sure to need questions answer along the way.

Oh yes I have already set up the number plates...
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2002, 12:52:29 by CBFASI »
CBF Shipbuilding

Skaven

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2002, 12:19:18 »
Knowing you as I do, nothing surprises me coming from you mate, again and as usual your making a great work, the most real as possible, with all details thought to the most extensive reserach we can imagine,congratulations it's guys like you that make this game Rock even more, Thanks  ;)

Offline Gastovski

• Members
  • #loop; Gastovski setdammage 0; ~0.01; goto "loop";
    • Falklands Mod
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2002, 20:28:51 »
As you already have heard from me mate. Well Done. I don't think I would be where I am today on island editing if it wasn't fro CBFASI... Thanks mate...  ;)

Marksman

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2002, 21:13:58 »
Re: the ils stuff

I moving house at the moment, which means i can't get to my own computer for a while.

But as soon as i'm sorted i'll post the stuff back up on here.

In the meantime, the tut was in the OFPEC tutorials section, under WrpEditing, so if that comes online sooner, have a look on there.

Marksman

FltSgt

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2002, 14:56:52 »
On the subject of British airbases, would anyone consider doing Coningsby?

FltSgt

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2002, 15:00:17 »
Are you going to put in the residential side of the airfield? And a NAAFI?

What's the GD like on base, are there the pillboxes scattered around? Perimeter fence? Razor wire?

mikeb

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2002, 15:31:56 »
(laughs) - NAAFIs!!!

We really are paying attention to detail aren't we!  That would be fun to see.  Of course SPAR took over that role even though everyone still refers to them as NAAFIs.  If you're going for the RAF bases why not pick one like Brize because it's big and often when there is an ops abroad everyone flies from there.  Or you could splash out and make Lakenheath (in the news recently for more morbid reasons of course, sadly) which the US have.  You could even build the golf-course they have there! (inc 10-screen cinemas and huge malls like all the US PXs seem to have all over the world)

I take it you have a more personal attachment to Coningsby Flt Sgt (?)

FltSgt

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2002, 15:49:56 »
Yer, unfortunately an active tonka base isn't the best place to get a good nights sleep tho. :( Food in the JRM is blinding tho.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2002, 15:50:40 by Flt Sgt 97 »

mikeb

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2002, 15:57:34 »
I don't know what it is but the food in the forces always tastes good.  Must be all the exercise...

What's your trade (or equivalent)?  No need to specify of course but I'm sure many addon editors could use an RAF contact to help get the correct specs or even little quirks into their models.  The sort of little touches of realism that a layman could not acquire from simple research.

M

FltSgt

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2002, 16:05:00 »
At the moment I'm doing training. I've seen bits and pieces of everything, although I really wouldn't ask me about the technical stuff.