Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: mercenary army  (Read 2291 times)

RP

mercenary army
« on: 28 Aug 2003, 20:46:41 »
hi guys,

i think we need some mercernarys in OFP. There is an east m. army made by Skaven, but i would like to have some  west mercenarys as well, preferably hi quality like BAS units.

Any takers?

theFoxiam

Re:mercenary army
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2003, 20:58:50 »
I concure, although their are a few packs and such available. But a French Foriegn Legion or even with what was said earlier with a third world weapons pack would go together with well. Most mercs weaponary is pretty far from state of the art (Just read up on some of them like in Sri Lanka-zip guns and old world war two weapons)...but if it happens lets all make sure for a PTRD or that Finnish Anti-Tank rifle (heh I'm such a whore for that stuff).

theFoxiam/iamtheFox

ericz

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2003, 23:12:39 »
Its a good idea, but maybe instead of west, they should be Resistance thereby giving the the mission maker the ability to make them friendly to East West or enemy to both.  BTW, the French Foreign Legion is NOT a mercenary force...they are a unique part of the French military.

calm_terror

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2003, 23:57:07 »
the french have a military?

RP

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2003, 01:39:32 »
Yes, they could be resistance side for flexibility. I was thinking about a mercenary force with elite soldiers recruted from allover the world, to handle delicate situations noone else could (or wanted to). They would carry sophisticated weapons and equipement, and would handle any kind of special operations.
Sounds cool eh?

ericz

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2003, 02:19:38 »
"the french have a military?"  ::) LOL!

So your talking about a Rainbow Six organization maybe?? That would be awesome.....

Echo Commando

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2003, 07:53:50 »
if you want to have mercs so bad, Go into your SQM and put them on whatever team you want.

mikeb

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2003, 13:54:10 »
i think mercs is a good idea.  but then what would they look like.  will you have a standard uniform and general kit, in which case they'll just be a customised force, or will they look like the unit/regiment they are ex-members of?  in the latter case you may as well take the units from well-made addons like BAS ones (with the addon-makers permission of course  ;) ) and combine these with some of your own that you think would make a decent contribution to the unit.

Basically most of your mercenary addon would probably centre more around weapon and kit selection (using weapons already widely available as addons) and perhaps using a "buy" script (there are some of these around) to represent the mercenary army's need to fund themselves rather than have government and tax-payer backing.

I think the best idea for a mercenary army, therefore, is for someone to go around and collect decent addons from around the OFP community.  Then, with permission, edit these to get a general theme across all the units so they fit together (renaming them "ex-ranger, woodland gear" or some such name, removing regimental insignia).  They should then release this as a merc pack together with a good weapon selection, purchase scripts, etc.

This way, so long as you get permission (I know i keep saying this!) you end up with a good collection of the best addons out there taken from what may be larger packs giving a decent variey of weaponary, etc.

in case i haven't mentioned it, you'll have to get permission of course .... ;)

RP

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2003, 16:17:36 »
@ ericz:
 yep, Rainbow Six alike would be fine for me. That would give us  material for some nice missions, i think.

@ Echo Commando:
 i want more then that.

@ mikeb:
 i think a custom standard uniform and equipement would be better. A merc pack using weapons allready available (with author's permission ;)), would surely be fine, since there are so many to chose from.  The buy script would make sense in a campaign, where we could use the money to purchase better weapons etc.

to all:

Probably this addon would fit very well in OFP2, with all those new locations to make all kinds of new missions.
I'm no addon maker myself, so i hope someone with the required talent would be wiling to bring this kind of pack to the community.

Drozdov

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2003, 16:44:06 »
the french have a military?

Ouch! That's not nice. Me no like macho pish.

Moving on to the original topic...

Personally I've never really been that interested in mercenaries though I can see how they'd add an extra dimension to missions. And they should definately be Resistance. I don't think they would be integrated into either a Russian or American army. Actually, when you think of it, why would either the Russians or Americans want mercenaries? I think the Resistance are the only ones who would use them.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2003, 18:21:18 »
i think we need some mercernarys in OFP.

It's on our to-do list...  just have some other things ahead of that project ;)

Vyper

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2003, 19:44:48 »
its not american or russian army....its east or west ;)

Vyper

RP

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2003, 22:56:47 »
Hey Kaliyuga, can you tell us how are you planing to make them, or is it to early?

Kaliyuga

« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2003, 23:06:54 »
 Well.. we  (The Everon Cartel) haven't actually really planned much about it at all yet.. other than we know that our campaign will need mercenaries...

We have other projects, namely the submarine and my island , that we are trying to get finished as soon as possible, and then start on a couple new projects.

Any ideas.. or suggestions you all might have would definately come in handy at this stage of things.  As we want them to be used by the greatest amount of people of course  ;D

I can tell you however that they would most likely be on the Resistance side, and they will use either default weapons or  possibly some sort of JAM compliant weapons pack made by us along the way...

I do have a nice little gun sitting on my hard drive that would be a nice sidearm, I just need to get around to texturing it...

But anyways, i digress.  

uhh yeah..  any ideas will help ;D
:cheers:
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2003, 23:10:30 by Kaliyuga »

mikeb

« Reply #14 on: 29 Aug 2003, 23:08:26 »
when's the island out.  i always find islands the most interesting of addons. don't know why...

btw i love all the everon cartel stuff so far (safe,etc)