Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Wake Island  (Read 862 times)

deaddog

Wake Island
« on: 08 Aug 2003, 23:05:54 »
I've been playing around with Wake Island and noticed that boats don't move.  I've tried waypoints, move commands and direct ordering (from the player) and they just sit still.  Anyone else have that problem?

Also, it has a large amount of lag, even with few units.  When walking/running I notice some "surging".  And have a heli nearby, the lag gets really bad.  I've never seen this kind of problem on other islands.

Has anyone else noticed any problems with it?

Thanks

Offline Silent Sniper

• Members
  • I hired a hitman to kill my llama
Re:Wake Island
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2003, 00:27:59 »
yeah me too, :'( how are you supposed to make pacific battles when the boats don't move and you cant aim properly because of the lag?
If you havent played ofp you havent lived

m21man

« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2003, 01:51:25 »
I don't know about the boats, but the lag is probably caused when you enter areas with huge amounts of objects like the grass fields. These are awesome, but man do they cause lag!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2003, 03:12:21 »
I had a look at this island in WrpEdit, and three things I noticed were:

1./  The default terrain flags are not set for the whole island.

2./  Ditto for the Env. snd flags.

3./  All the water areas are set to 0 metres.

The first 2 should account for some of the strange effects you have noticed.
The third one may account for the boats not moving.

Then again......I might be wrong.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

deaddog

« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2003, 03:23:38 »
Sounds like it just needs some minor adjustments and it will be fine.  It's really a nice island.  :)

I've temporarily solved the boat problem by using setvelocity in a script.  That way I can land enemy troops.  It's not a perfect solution but it works for my needs.

The lag problem is not so bad if there are no choppers flying (no, this is not a ww2 mission :) )

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2003, 03:24:14 by deaddog »

lt_poncho

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2003, 22:17:46 »
I noticed that vehicles do not move along intended paths - instead they totally circumnavigate forests with roads/paths to get to their next waypoint.

Wake Island is really nice - but needs some island refinement.

deaddog

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2003, 04:14:57 »
@Plank

You are right.  The terrain flags aren't set properly.  The whole sea is set to 'beach'.  I lowered the elevations by 4m and wrpedit set the default terrain flags properly.  The sea is now the sea :)

I saved everything to a different name and now the boats work properly.  Of course, this was for test purposes only.  Hopefully the author will correct this for us.

@lt_poncho

I don't know about the roads.  I know very little about wrpedit.  I did get a bmp to follow the roads somewhat, by setting it to "safe" mode.  But it still wants to go around certain forest sections.

deaddog

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2003, 15:37:28 »
I think I'll just give up on this island.  There seems to be some confusion on wether or not it was supposed to be released (at least on my part).  I'm inclined to think it was not. This is a quote from the readme file:

Addons you need:
"Sebnampack2" and "Alphanaminseln"

He fails to tell us that it also needs the Meekong island, which is in an early state.

I don't want to use an island that requires a 50Mb mod AND a 25mb island just to get it to work right.  And I certainly don't think other people are going to download those just to play one of my missions.

TO THE AUTHOR:  Please make this a stand alone island.  It has good potential and I think it will get a lot of use.