Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Un-Impossible Mission  (Read 66503 times)

Captain Winters

Re:Impossible Mission
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2003, 05:53:36 »
her i jus spiced up da 1 kali took:

Tanks! 8)
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2003, 05:53:59 by Captain Winters »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2003, 09:38:50 »
 Spiced up?  ::)   Looks like it came out a little blurry or something on my screen at least.. and you took all the guys out of the bottom half?  :-\

anyways.. Mac  I'll give it another go...

at the ambulance spot the problem seemed to be that everytime i spawned there I got shot in the back promptly  :P

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2003, 11:32:20 »
at the ambulance spot the problem seemed to be that everytime i spawned there I got shot in the back promptly  :P

Yup, that's the idea  ;D

But seriously, folks ... the enemy are advancing across open ground and they don't know you're there till you give them the good news.   Hit the dirt immediately the mission starts (good advice for all starting points).

deaddog - I was worried something like this might happen.    I intended to use only BIS addons and Kegetys .... Here's the list of addons from the mission.sqs

"G36a",
      "XMS",
      "Steyr",
      "6G30",
      "AH64",
      "bis_resistance",
      "Bradley",
      "editorupdate102",
      "objects1",
      "BRDM",
      "CoupeR",
      "gcessna",
      "CoupeB",
      "SkodaE1",
      "su25b",
      "Kolo",
      "BMP2"
   };
   addOnsAuto[]=
   {
      "G36a",
      "XMS",
      "Steyr",
      "Bradley",
      "AH64",
      "bis_resistance",
      "6G30",
      "BRDM",
      "CoupeR",
      "gcessna",
      "CoupeB",
      "SkodaE1",
      "su25b",
      "Kolo",
      "BMP2",
      "editorupdate102",
      "objects1"

I'm not even sure what they all are - there's no cessna in the mission so what's that doing there?    They are all just scenary so I'll take the problem ones out .... once I know what they are.      Gunslingers addon isn't in my addon folder (checks ... AH-HA!   I seems I have Gunslingers editor upgrade in my ordinary addons folder and Kegetys editor update in the Resy addons folder ...

Right, I'm going off to see if I can fixt this.

« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2003, 11:51:16 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

The Avon Lady

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2003, 12:54:04 »
Object1 is from Kegetys' old Objects addon. It should no longer be used. Every object in it is in Kegetys' newer Editor Addon v1.11.

It looks like you should be editng the mission in a clean OFP environment, using a mod folder that only includes that addons needed for the mission.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2003, 13:02:55 »
Whew, well we're making progress.

The latest version (v0.42) is attached.    It requires two small addons:-

Kegetys' EditorUpdate   (65k)

Kegetys' Editor Objects   (5k)

The Editor Objects did not appear to be in the Ed Depot - God only knows where I got them from originally, but I've put them in there now - and the text I've inserted there explains everything (I think)

Quote from Kegetys - "I hid quite many of the things in Gunslingers addon which were more or less useless to keep the addon clean and easier to use.  All the old objects can still be used with the CamCreate and CreateVehicle commands."

I think these object addons put the objects back in the editor, plus some other good stuff. - macguba

The other mystery addons were cars.    In the editor I added a red Skoda coupe, a blue Skoda coupe and Skoda Estelle.    This gave rise to the following list of addons:-

"CoupeR",
      "gcessna",
      "CoupeB",
      "SkodaE1",
      "su25b",

none of which appear in either of my addons folders.   Can anybody shed any light on this?   I have removed these vehicles and replaced them with ordinary cars.

Edit:  I've just seen the Avon Lady's post.     I don't fully understand what's happening here.    When I take objects1.pbo out of my addons folder and leave in Editorupdate102.pbo (which is kegetys version 1.11 I believe) the number of objects available in the editor goes down.   So objects1.pbo is essential to create the mission.    It also appears to be essential to play it.

One of the particular objects in question is a "Rose recliner".   If anybody can tell me how to insert that from the Mission Editor without having objects1.pbo in your addons folder I'd be glad to hear about it.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2003, 13:17:26 by macguba »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #20 on: 01 Aug 2003, 00:38:29 »
 I want screenshots from whomever beats this...

because...  there's no way...

I fixed the problem with the mission myself by editing the mission.sqm and re-pboing it so i could play it...

I managed to get to the top of the hill... and left about three enemies up there.... along with the tank ...  

all my guys died...

I ran and got in a jeep... took the jeep to the bmp ambulance/brdm and traded up a little...

then cruised to the base....   where there were several tanks and several more squads waiting for me to take on ... single handedly ....  with my BRDM  :P

It was fun for a while.. but i'm calling it quits on this one..

I'm not that  much of a  masochist...

no bugs..  just 8 vs 100   :P

don't get me wrong..  Asmo has a few of these kinds of missions...

I usually beat them out of pure hate for those AI bastards  and then never want to hear the mission's name mentioned again... lol  ;D

I began to ask myself the same thing I was asking myself in real life...

why are we "taking" this hill with nothing on it but 100 solidiers?

and if you don't kill them all the flag isn't going to stay up anyways right?  :P
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2003, 00:42:19 by Kaliyuga »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 01 Aug 2003, 02:25:49 »
lol thanks Kali.     If anybody beats this I wanna see a screen shot of the debriefing screen.     Not that I think it can't be done, (I'm sure it can) I'd just love to see it.

As for "why" you're taking this hill ... well, it's because this isn't really a proper mission.   I'm just tarting it up a little so I can submit it to the Mission Depot.    In fact I made as a mission design exercise, to try and create the most difficult mission I could while still making it possible.   It was the 4th attempt, the others all being failures.   (Too easy ... you'd be amazed at how difficult a mission can be and still be winnable.)   The next phase, if there is a next phase, would be to try and reduce the number of enemies.

Obviously I haven't beaten this myself yet.   I suspect the way to do it is either to be really fast - take the hill before the mist clears and then take the base (and thereby end the mission) before the tanks get there - or take it really slow, find a good spot to hide and take out the guard groups one by one as they come at you.   Then seek out and destroy the armoured units one by one so that they can't concentrate at the base later.

Glad you didn't find any problems though, that's always a good start.  Thanks for having a go.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #22 on: 01 Aug 2003, 03:41:45 »
 hey..  not a problem...

it does say impossible in the name so you know what you're getting yourself into  ;D

just got a little frustrating for me....

I took the latter approach of the two you mentioned.... and waited for the patrols to cycle through and come up on me and my squad

The way I ended up getting as far as I did was by taking out a couple squads and then having the bulk of my group move in without me while I circled around and got the flag myself and hopped into a jeep  :o

:cheers:

hooahman

« Reply #23 on: 01 Aug 2003, 08:01:03 »
Ok I played this mission for a whole hour and used my second save (from capturing the flag) right around the base.  When I get to the base (my men are scattered all over the map) it has 2 squads of Americans and 2 M2A2 Bradleys!  To top things off I didnt grab any AT stuff.  It's IMPOSSIBLE to take the base.  The best I've done is killed 5guys and 1 M2A2 with 'nades.  !!! I just remembered I have satchel charges. HAHA!  I'll post & tell u if they worked.

hooahman

« Reply #24 on: 01 Aug 2003, 08:10:29 »
Ok this sucks.  Mow theres a M1 too  :o?  I'm never gona beat this mission ::) You win this mission is really hard and well deserving of the title "Impossible Mission"  
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2003, 08:12:55 by hooahman »

polat

« Reply #25 on: 01 Aug 2003, 12:43:16 »
Pretty hard mission.

When the mission started someone shot me on the head. I tried again. This time I was near a forest. There were only two soldiers. They killed all my men and me. Then I tried again. Then I started near an Abrams and a Bradley. They killed us all. Then I tried again. This time I was near the top of the hill!! I was  happy. I climbed and climbed. When I was on top of the hill, all my man died and then me. Then i started again but this time I used the shift - endmission cheat.

It's impossible to beat this mission. But it was a pretty good mission.

Well done :thumbsup:

Kaliyuga

« Reply #26 on: 01 Aug 2003, 14:47:52 »
 I did it ;)  :wow:

took me all night... it's now 5:30 a.m and I'm ready for sleep  ;D

attached you will find my evidence.... lol  ;D

I think you need to include some AT weapons somewhere on the map...

cause I took out the last  6 tanks with satchel charges ;)

My weapons of choice for beating it going by the loadout I had when I played would have to be:

Bizon to start

M21 after you take the flag

G36 mmmm.... this weapon rules... hadn't fired one in a while.... but it did me well on this mission.....

Silenced pistol is a must have

and a whole lot of satchels.... think I used about 14 in total ....

for those stuck at the end base if you really want to stick it out....

heres what I did....  get lots of satchels....  and then wait for the tank to take up a stationary position somewhere and put one right underneath..

there are only two ways into that base that is pretty well held so I used some satchels to knock down fences so I would have more ways to sneak inside... ;)

also...  try placing a satchel where you think the tank would go to if you were spotted by it..   then  creep back and fire off a few shots at the tank with your gun ...   you'll draw it out to see if it can find you and right into your satchel hopefully...

anyways..  my lack of sleep is making me ramble.

Ladies.... feel free to attach your own screenshots when you beat it ;)  ;D

:toocool: :gunman: :toocool:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #27 on: 01 Aug 2003, 17:10:54 »
WOW!   Kali that's amazing, well done.    You're are a complete hero.      :wow: :toocool:

I'll change some of the west loons to LAW soldiers.    There are five sets of ammo crates scattered about the map so topping up on satchels and rockets shouldn't be a problem as long as you have tubes.

I haven't tried it with Bizon - usually I give all my loons G36 which IMHO is probably the best all round weapon since it has optics and both burst and fully auto modes.    But the stealthy approach obviously helps.

Did you discover the cutscene with the civilians?   They give you another save and some hints and tips, though since you're the expert I think I change those to what you said....

Thanks again for giving it another try.   Sleep well!

@polat - thanks for giving it a go.    Glad you liked it!

@hooahman - thanks to you too.   Now that you know it can be done ....

Kaliyuga

« Reply #28 on: 01 Aug 2003, 23:24:58 »
Hmm.. didn't see any civilians at all.... and I was around a fairly big area...

I started near the base of the hill... where the first  scud ends up being in the CWC campaign  and pretty much went straight up.,...

and then i grabbed a jeep from the top and ended up down by the BMP ambulance and BRDM ....

drove back along the road to the little broken up town at the crossroads near the base and went up into the forest overlooking the base...

and started my whole satchel charge scheme....   and killing soldiers then ducking back into the woods for  a  little while...  

all sorts of fun stuff....    ever try crawling around underneath a tank when they know you're there and you've just laid a satchel  :o

hehe... yeah it was pretty rough goin there at the end....

but once I got to the point of only having two tanks and three guys in there guarding the base..  I thought I had it beat for sure...  I blew up the two tanks with satchels and killed the guys...  

and here came three more tanks up the road and a squad of guys from over the hill.....  :o

I figured that the trigger was probably west not present or whatever.. so i drew one of the M2A2's pretty far out around the woods.. and he spent a while lookin for me over there....  

there was also a UAZ that I drove for a while and it managed to draw alot of fire from a squad of soldiers.. got the tanks attention as well when it was just sitting in the woods.....  

I should have left a satchel on it  ;D

I did notice something about my score though....  

I killed 15 crew members but only got credit for a couple tanks...

I think this is due to the satchel charges being used to kill the tanks.. they weren't quite dead yet...

I was going to go back and finish them off..

but that's really cool that it still ended with them mostly damaged.. as long as the crews were killed :)  

and those friendly kills I got were on purpose.... If I can spare the satchel .. I'm going to blow it up ...   ;D

that tends to work well as a distraction if nothing else :)

all right.. I'm off to work on the misson I was going to work on last night now.. lol  ;D

* a good ( I think) V-80 mission.. with no addons needed

Kaliyuga

« Reply #29 on: 01 Aug 2003, 23:29:39 »
 oh.... and you should be able to save whenever you want maybe... ???

since it is so hard....  or maybe give a couple more at least

doesn't make too much of a difference I guess...  but I saved alot..

like.. really alot... maybe 7 or 8 times at least just to be safe with all that running around I did