Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Un-Impossible Mission  (Read 66392 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Impossible Mission
« Reply #30 on: 01 Aug 2003, 23:48:47 »
That's a good place to start from, it's nearer than all the others.    And yes, that wood beside the base is very handy.     I've been one worse than under a tank with a satchel - I've been under a tank right next to a mine I just laid.    Staring at the mine, wondering if I'll crushed or blown into smithereens ... dry mouth and wet hands ... no other game does it to you quite like this one.

For the benefit of our readers I should say that most of the tanks are Bradleys - there are only a couple of Abrams.

The civvies are in the south - you won't meet them by accident.   There is a hint in the Briefing that they might be worth talking to and there is also a marker on the map, but I'll make it all a little more obvious.    

You're probably right about the savegames, I'll add at least one more.   The thing is that I have to make this into a playable mission now ... I'm tempted to make it more difficult now but it's probably not a good idea.

You were right about the west not present trigger.   The ending conditions are pretty mild - your whole squad in the base and no enemy right next to you - but after my most recent playtest when I killed 3 loons in the base just by spraying it from the hillside with my trusty G36 (oh that was fun, 4 mags in burst mode as fast as I could reload) I'm going to have to make the trigger area bigger so that the mission doesn't end in the middle of a firefight.    In theory you don't have to kill anybody to win the mission, if you could decoy them all away, switch flags and then sneak into the base ...

Looking forward to your chopper mission.   Thanks for all the detail btw, it's really nice to know how somebody has played the mission.   Really helps with improving it.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

deaddog

« Reply #31 on: 02 Aug 2003, 02:08:43 »
oh.... and you should be able to save whenever you want maybe... ???

since it is so hard....  or maybe give a couple more at least

doesn't make too much of a difference I guess...  but I saved alot..

like.. really alot... maybe 7 or 8 times at least just to be safe with all that running around I did

How did you manage to save 7 or 8 times?   By my count, there are four save oppurtunities.  The built in save, autosave a few minutes into the mission, another for the flag and another the civies.  Macguba, are there any more?

Kaliyuga

« Reply #32 on: 02 Aug 2003, 02:17:33 »
 I'm a big fat cheater when it comes to savegames...  ;D

especially when it comes to beta testing a mission.... helps me be able to make comments like...   "needs another savegame or two" ;)

there are a couple different ways to save whenever you wish and there's
actually one program that will allow you to save   just by pressing a key

you can find that program on ofp.info I believe  

deaddog

« Reply #33 on: 02 Aug 2003, 04:46:49 »
When I said there were four saves, that's only from reading Mac's comments.  I can't get past the first two.  ;D

I thought I was doing well until an Abrams decided to sit on me.  It's a bad feeling when that big gun is tracking your every move.   Get too far away and he can shoot you.   :P

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #34 on: 02 Aug 2003, 11:40:23 »
There are four - the regular save you always get, one when you start to approach the hill, one on taking the flag and one if you visit the civvies.     The next version (out tomorrow I hope) will have a fifth, when you approach the base.     If this was an ordinary  mission these would all just be automatic retries, but you can't have a retry when there are baddies around so I'm giving the player the retry but with the flexibility to use it when he wants.

I could obviously add more, but then I'd be tempted to add a couple more small enemy groups.   Whaddya think?   (That's right, we're not even close to the limit of 63 groups  ;D)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #35 on: 02 Aug 2003, 15:31:00 »
i was da 1 who beat da mision b4 ;) :P

ill do dat 1 wen i get som free time ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

deaddog

« Reply #36 on: 03 Aug 2003, 02:53:46 »
If you think it's hard now, try playing it from the Finnish Defence Force mod.  The sounds are better (except helos) but the weapon recoil is more pronounced.  Also, it's harder to use the sniper rifle when it keeps jumping around  :)

On the other hand, you can carry more M203/AK grenades.  If you can hit anything with them  ;D

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #37 on: 06 Dec 2003, 00:33:34 »
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am glad to report that this one is virtually finished.   Grab the latest version from:-

macguba's operation flashpoint page

The zip is 712k, thanks to the speech files.    The only addon you need is kegetys editor addon, which you should have already.    OFP v1.91 is advisable ... it might work on 1.85.   The last bit of work I did was in 1.94.

Changes from last version:

• Added Overview pic
  • Added speech to cutscene
  • Solved addon issues
  • Innumerable minor improvements to make it more fun
  • Difficulty broadly unchanged

Known issues:  

- the voice files are really dire, I was just playing around trying to get the thing to work.  They will be replaced for the release version

- no lip synching yet, no point till I get the right sound files in.

For beta testing purposes only, I have added a morphine radio call:  hit 0-0-0 to be setdammaged to zero.   This will not be in the release version.

As ever, all comments welcome.

I'd particularly appreciate it if somebody would head south and check out the cutscene with the civilians and the stuff that happens at the end of it.   There's an empty chopper down there which is fun to fly in zero visibility

Many thanks.

Spoiler below - highlight to read.
If you want some real fun, unpbo the mission and open it in the mission editor.     Create a trigger:-

Condition:  true
On activation:   "_x setCaptive true" forEach units sn

Now hit Shift - Preview, select your favourite gear, and have a ball.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2003, 00:53:44 by macguba »

deaddog

« Reply #38 on: 06 Dec 2003, 02:24:07 »
Is that a Kilt or a skirt?  ;D

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #39 on: 06 Dec 2003, 11:52:03 »
lol it's a piece of hot pussy .... if you fancy Angelina ....  ::)

deaddog

« Reply #40 on: 06 Dec 2003, 17:28:19 »
Well, everytime I start thinking I'm making progress, I get killed.  :P

Kill a couple of Bradleys, take out an Apache, kill a few snipers and grunts and then, BAM, take one in the back.  ;D

My new strategy will be to never stay too long in one location.  Shoot and scoot, as it were.

BTW, my personal style is to kill everything that is a threat.  I don't like to sneak around too much.  I've been trying to slowly circle the hill at the base, stick to the woods and pop out to shoot a few time.  Hasn't been too successfull so far.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2003, 17:32:31 by deaddog »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #41 on: 06 Dec 2003, 21:06:03 »
 yeah It's a tough SOB that's for sure, but it can be  beaten

:cheers:

Munk D

« Reply #42 on: 06 Dec 2003, 21:13:51 »
Done it in 3 hours 13 minutes. I lost everyone but two getting up the hill then two after I'd changed it. Died once during this, but last sae wasn't too long ago. After being surrouded at the top of the hill, I decided to run away to the south. Took out 6 dudes on the way to the civies. How about adding the option of taking the bloke with you and coming back to get him later if you need help? I really didn't want him following me around everywhere, he stayed in the truck ready for a quick getaway  ;)

Filled the truck up with weapons and ammo, headed to the base east of the old base. Leaving two with the truck I took my Bizon and LAW Launcher, I went towards the base. I took out all 3 APC's before running away to get more LAW's. I got an AA Launcher instead and went to wait for the chopper to show. It showed about 10 minutes later and I some how managed to hit the bugger. I found the pilot crawling into some near by tree's and gave him the good news  ;D

After getting my LAW Launcher back and saving I went to tackle the last of the armour. Thats when I started getting killed every two minutes. Ended up going and getting the BMP2  ::)

Only thing I found strange was all the bases around the 'old base' were empty   :-\  And there was a horrible lack of Bizon rounds  >:(

For some reason I can't take screenshots, they come out as a big blur of colour, so you'll have to take my word for it  ;)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #43 on: 07 Dec 2003, 01:41:37 »
Bloody Hell Munk well done!    Did you allow yourself any extra saves or did you do it with the ones that were there?  Thanks for giving it a go.

How about adding the option of taking the bloke with you and coming back to get him later if you need help?

Not quite sure what you mean.     My intention was to give you an extra man as a reward for going to see the civilians.   The ammo truck has weapons so you can arm him - it's the only place on the map, apart from bodies, where you can get weapons.

How did all that stuff with the civvies work, btw?   Is it worth the trip?

And there was a horrible lack of Bizon rounds  

I know, it's a minor problem that's been bothering me for a while.   All the other weapons that you are likely to take (eg G36) are American and you can get ammo from bodies:   Bizon is the front runner Soviet weapon, but obviously the Amis don't have it.    Might put a graveyard of Russian Spetz Natz somewhere.  ;D  There are six sets of ammo crates around the map, each with 50 Bizon mags or whatever it is.

Only thing I found strange was all the bases around the 'old base' were empty

Originally I had a strict rule of no eye candy:  everything in the mission had to have a purpose.  However, that has obviously changed so I'll add some wrecks and things to the nearby bases.   I hadn't thought of using it as, well, a base.

I found the pilot crawling into some near by tree's and gave him the good news

A heartwarming story.  ;D

Overall, do you think it's too easy?  

Kali - you've been deposed as my OFP hero.   ;D

deaddog - try and get to the civvies in the south, you get an extra man, an extra savegame and a few other goodies.   You're right, staying one place looks good on paper but it doesn't really work though it might work outside the "ring road" - that way you're unlikely to have a group on a guard waypoint coming up behind you.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2003, 02:29:08 by macguba »

Quid Novi

« Reply #44 on: 02 Jan 2004, 12:55:22 »
No extra addons but it does use all the official weapon addons (Uzi, Hunting rifle, etc.) so you probably do need OFP v1.91, can't remember when they all came out.

1.85  ;)