Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Bye bye bridge  (Read 2039 times)

Siber Fox

Bye bye bridge
« on: 29 Jun 2003, 10:23:18 »
Does anyone know of any maps with destroyable bridges or can anyone make a destroyable bridge?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a Dr. Phil face addon? ;D

p00_p00

Re:Bye bye bridge
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2003, 12:05:37 »
If you have Recistance, theirs a nice bridge in that, which can be destroyed. HOWEVER like all buildings in OPF, it just crummples up and is all twisted and almost impossible to cross. So I dont know if thats waht you were looking for.

bigdog632

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2003, 19:22:35 »
nogova and bears lahta both have destroyable bridges

Mr_Shady

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2003, 20:16:06 »
Maybe, if the bridge was placed in the editor (like a regular unit or object would be), you could get some clever scripting that would allow someone to place a "bomb" on the bridge, then after a certain amount of time it'd create an explosion and a big old dust cloud, then when nobody can see the bridge (due to the dust), substitute the undamaged bridge model for a wrecked one.

Simple, really. Except I'm no scripter and can't tell you if it's even half-way possible  ;)

Siber Fox

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2003, 22:21:07 »
That is a great idea. I was wondering if there was a way to make a bridge so that part of it collapses when destroyed.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2003, 23:05:30 »
I think that you could achieve if the bridge model changed when the bridge has taken something like 90% damage, to stop it crumpling over.

Gah, that's the thing that annoys me about OFP. Trying to root out snipers with my tank usually ends up in the entire town looking like a modern art exhibition.

calm_terror

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2003, 00:43:59 »
yeah why doesn't the buildings and stuff look more liek real blown down buildings when destoried?
like have them actual  fall down and not just warp all weird looking.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2003, 01:43:14 »
Even if the textures just changed to make them look busted up, it'd be better. I was quite impressed at first when I shot a truck up and watched the windows get broke after a while, but when it curled up and started smoking for no reason I was kind of put off.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2003, 01:44:40 »
Its easier to distort a building model like they currently do, than it is to simulate the actual collapse of a building.

You would have to model the different parts seperately (floors, walls, roof, ceiling, etc) and then calculate how they would react in falling inwards and interacting with each other.

So instead of the engine just dealing with one model distorting in a pre-defined path, the engine then has to do a lot more calculation and has to deal with each part individually as well.

Even if they followed pre-defined paths to their end point (walls falling in, etc), the numbers game still adds up to a lot more wrk for the engine.

Take a small town of 10 single-story, two-room, 1 doorway, 2 window houses for example...

Current reaction = 10 models, easily handled if someone bombs/rocket strafes the town en masse.

Proper reaction = At least 70 wall models (per house is 3 plain external walls, 1 door wall, 2 window walls, 1 internal wall), 10 roof models & 10 floor models.
So even with predefined distortions, if someone bombs/rocket strafes the town the engine suddenly has to cope with 90 models instead of 10.

And thats only for single story. Up that total to include the two-story houses, apartment complexes, churches, hangars, etc and you would have far more models again.

So personally, I'm not a great fan of the building just twisting either, but I can see why they've done it that way.

On the upside:
One way I could see to create a better building destruction would be to have the distortions move down and in towards the middle oif the floor (instead of random direction) so that the walls and such fall inwards and the roof distorted and is lowered into the rubble.

For those that have tinkered with it, is it possible to alter the way building's distort upon destruction, or is it hard-coded into the engine?
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2003, 01:45:59 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Mr_Shady

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2003, 02:08:02 »
*Applauds*

Wow, Noon has brains and..... uh...... brains. Yeah!  ;D

No offence Noon, don't set Cookie Monster on me or something bad like that.

Eviscerator

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2003, 02:20:02 »
Has anyone worked out how to replace a destroyed (warped) model with a premade destroyed model? So, for example, if an MT-LB is blown up in the explosion/smoke it is swapped with the destroyed model (and the crew ejected), so if a bridge is hit with a 500lb bomb, you would see the BIS model warp, smoke go off and then it can be replaced with a proper collapsed/severely damaged bridge model, it would be very good if someone could do this.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2003, 02:25:42 »
I'm sure you could do it by using the object ID. But I know less than nowt about scripting, so don't quote me on that.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2003, 02:29:40 »
*Applauds*

Wow, Noon has brains and..... uh...... brains. Yeah!  ;D

No offence Noon, don't set Cookie Monster on me or something bad like that.

lol, I don't know how to take that ... as sarcasm or fun, so I'll take it as fun. ;)

I'd simply had the thought that if you can change to distortion paths for the buildings, you could set a more realistic collapse while using the current system in the engine.
That way, you get a better collapse with no slowdown.

The key is that if it can be done, then you can do the same for the bridges, collapsing them down below the waterline, and maybe leaving some supports jutting above the waterline. :D

I have the horrible feeling though that the distortions are hard-coded into the engine. :(
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2003, 03:34:53 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

bigdog632

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2003, 02:44:38 »
well i know you can respawn stuff and remove stuff can you have a crumpled bridge respawn as a destroyed bridge section?

p00_p00

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2003, 03:13:49 »
Yeap, bombed out buildings will put a lot of fun into OFP.

Think BF:1942 and MOH:AA, with all those German Snipers in those bombed out buildings..........

Heheheheh a nice bombed out bridge will b nice 2: like if theirs a tank on the bridge, a copter blows it up and then theirs a hole in the bridge and the tank falls down to its death - classic stuff!