Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: .ogg Music File compression?  (Read 530 times)

Mr.BoDean

.ogg Music File compression?
« on: 27 Jun 2003, 11:28:18 »
So I looked at the tute again, but didn't see it.  I converted and edited an mp3 file to a .ogg file using GoldWave . I used the standard 44100/128 stereo setting, but the new file is almost as big as the original. Granted, it worked and played very nicely in my mission  ;D , but as it is a MP mission, I'd like to reduce the overall size of the mission to decrease Up/Download time.
  Any thoughts? And should any compression be done while the file is still an mp3 or what?  ???

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
Re:.ogg Music File compression?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2003, 23:56:34 »
.mp3 and .ogg files are usually about the same size so what you can do is either drop the Khz a bit tp say 22,000 or you can edit out the sound you don't use, so if you only play 30 seconds of music remove it from the file ( I'm not sure if goldweave can do that) and only have the 30 seconds you actualy play in the mission.

Mr.BoDean

Re:.ogg Music File compression?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2003, 10:20:05 »
.mp3 and .ogg files are usually about the same size so what you can do is either drop the Khz a bit tp say 22,000 or you can edit out the sound you don't use, so if you only play 30 seconds of music remove it from the file ( I'm not sure if goldweave can do that) and only have the 30 seconds you actualy play in the mission.

Okay, thanx, man. I'll try dropping it down to lower quality ......sounded so goooood with choppers paradropping overhead, though!  ;D   And I actually already had edited the song down to 2/3rds its original length .... took 1.2 MB off but was still big. And Goldwave does that very nicely , indeed,  8)  once you figure out how to use it and until you do too many clicks and it prompts you to register/buy it  ::) or you just save and reboot it.   :o   :P    ;D   But it's freeee, right?  :D