Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: NTW-20 Anti-Materiel Rifle:The king of HTI  (Read 5501 times)

Grendel

NTW-20 Anti-Materiel Rifle:The king of HTI
« on: 07 Apr 2004, 00:01:45 »
Screw the Barrett, the AW-50, the KSKV, and yes...screw even the Cheytac  :)  In looking for an HTI rifle for my upcomming Sniper/Spotter MOD, I found a new king in town...

Theres an Anti-Materiel rifle out there that makes the others look like pea shooters.  The NTW-20 is a 20mm (along with barrel/bolt groups for 14.5 and 12.7mm) bolt action rifle designed to deal out punisment in the extreme.  

To do it right, one would have to do up a model for the complete gun, as well as seperate models of the gun broken down into barrel/reciever groups for travel.  The separate components could be configured as "LAW"'s so they could be "slung" on the back, and the actual rifle could be configured as a fixed MG (this is not a gun you can just run around with or fire standing). I can use scripting trickery to make it all work (from assembly down to adjusting the direction of the gun when emplaced and special effects).  

Here is a link to a site with specs:
http://www.club.guns.ru/eng/ntw20.html

If anyone is willing to undertake this daunting rifle let me know...

-Grendel
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2004, 00:04:41 by Grendel »

Homefry31464

Re:NTW-20 Anti-Materiel Rifle:The king of HTI
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2004, 00:23:34 »
That thing's a beast!  This would be awesome to see in OFP.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2004, 10:05:11 »
Very possible, I think
Just need to do lot's of addweapon, removeweapon etc.
With a few models etc.

For a start, I would suggest making the weapon on the bipod, and get an anim for the operater (who would be prone)

Then make the LAW-configed disasembled object.
Then work on the scripts :)

Good luck.
If you want, I could have a go at part of the model.. I couldn't texture it tough.
And I'm not 100% brilliant of models either.. But am willing to give it a go ;)

I would love to see this weapon in game!!!!
- Ben

Grendel

« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2004, 00:57:57 »
Hey Homefry and Ben!

Yeah, this would be an outstanding addition!  

I wish I knew how to do any of the non-scripting stuff...I could definitely script all the add/remove weapon stuff but I have never tried modelling, textureing, or config editing :(  

For a start, I would suggest making the weapon on the bipod, and get an anim for the operater (who would be prone)

Then make the LAW-configed disasembled object.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Once the complete rifle was modelled, you could just separate the barrel from the reciever and make them two different "LAWs", so you would'nt be starting from scratch or anything.  

I've seen custom animations on VIT's KORD and such, so it seems pretty possible to do a prone animation.

Anything you could do on this would help make it a reality, Ben.  Maybe I should post something in the recruitmnet depot to find some texturers and such.

-Grendel

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2004, 18:23:29 »
Sorry about the delays etc.
My OFP wasn't working, thats fixed now, now my computer is being really unstable, and I can't open O2 or buldozer.
Other games won't work, programs, like Internet Explorer crash a lot..
Time for a reformat soon.. But I'm getting Windows 2k soon, so I'll wait for that to reformat.

Thats basicly why it's taking so long ;)
Does anyone have any good side views of the weapon?
It'll make making the weapons soo much easier ;)
- Ben

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2004, 21:31:04 »
Cheers mate :)
Allthough I would love a strait on side view for modeling the out lines, they'se should be not too bad as reference :)

Thanks a lot :)
- Ben

HuNtA

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2004, 10:22:12 »
that is 1 f***ing massive gun, but do you really think it would be practical in OFP? Dont U think it would make the game a bit too easy?

jus my opinion

bigdog632

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2004, 22:35:53 »
isnt that a 2 man gun
it like requires two guys to carry it
due to the weight

Kaliyuga

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2004, 22:58:13 »
according to the stats it only weighs  26-29 kilos so I wouldnt see it needing two men to carry neccesarily

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2004, 17:51:16 »
Is it not more that is is quite big, and also as a sniper/spotter team...?
I'll get O2 working soon :'(
- Ben

bigdog632

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2004, 22:37:46 »
im not good at weight conversion but thats about 50-65 pounds i think
add that to the other gear and include long foot marches through varying weather and climate conditions id say it would be 2 man carry
because that would wear out the sniper and a tired sniper cant shoot as well

but tis is OFPland and things are different

Grendel

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:09:54 »
This most definitely needs to be set up as a two man system, assembled at the shooting location!!!  

First of all this is realistic..."only" 26-29 kilos...  :o ::)  Those of you who feel this is an insignifigant amount have never rucked a full combat load!!!
Also, if configured as a normal rifle, a unit would be able to fire while standing...I'd like to meet someone who could pull that off with this beast.

Second, it solves the "too easy" aspect of play balancing: It will take a lot more deliberation and planning to employ this way:  You would have to have both the sniper and spotter alive naturaly, and not only would you have to take time to assemble the rifle, you would also have to spend a decent amount of time breaking it back down again (I have a script that will allow the sniper to drag the rifle small distances in a pinch).  Also consider that the relatively small magazine capacity helps keep this thing from being some kind of uber weapon.

Thanks to those who are taking an interest in this rifle! I can't wait untill it becomes an OFP reality!

-Grendel

bigdog632

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:44:02 »
i read about this rifle a long time ago in a book i bought i wish i could find the book though lol
it had another sniper rifle in it that was a 15.2mm that fired a tungsten alloy projectile at terrific velocity and had great penetration

also the M2HB can mount a scope and be used as a "sniper" rifle it isnt as accurate as todays 50 cals but it can be accurized that would make an interesting addon and all you would need is a way to mount a scope and make it more accurate

Grendel

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2004, 20:30:13 »
The 15.2mm rifle is the Steyr IWS 2000.  It is still in the advanced development stage, and you can find the specs here:

http://www.steyr-aug.com/amr.htm

Another interesting HTI/Anti-Material weapon is the 25mm Payload Rifle, developed by Barrett to fire a "dumb" impact detonating version of the OCSW 25mm Airbusting projectile.  It is based closely off of their .50 cal series of rifles, and all one would need to do is use a pre-existing barret O2 model (of which there are several) shorten the barrel (yes, it is signifigantly shorter than the .50 cals) and modify the muzzle brake.  Here is a rather in-depth article with several photos (including a close up of the new muzzle brake).  Recoil is said to be similar to a 12 guage 3.5inch mag.  Very zesty rifle indeed. :)

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/payload.pdf

Another topic of discussion I would like people to think about is round damage.  In addition to configuring the bullet's properties in the cpp file, I have a script that can do some nifty things with projectiles.  It uses a hit EH on the target end to produce some new terminal effects.  The problem is, that in order for the "hit" EH to function properly, the round has to do a percentage of damage to the target.  Soooo, the bullet should be configured to do enough damage to Tanks and APC's to activate the EH, but not outright destroy them with one shot (although it should be powerful enough to disable a turret in 2-3 direct hits). The script adds particle effects for steel on steel sparks, as well as neat bit that can simulate projectile/spall ricochet inside the vehicle randomly injuring crew members :) ! Anti-Vehicle Sniping is finaly here for more than light wheeled vehicles!  Just think of the added tactical possibilities.  A squad is set up in a hasty ambush with HTI sniper support.  The HTI snipers see a column of APC's and tanks approacing...While the AT squaddies use thier limited supply of rockets  to engage the heavy armor, the snipers begin engaging the APCs going first for the turrets to silence thier weapons, and in the process wound/kill several crew and mech infantry while they are still inside.  The remaining survivors are eliminated as the exit their stricken APCs.  Also, the script can activate special effects based on the type of vehicle: shooting a chopper will give an excellent chance to induce a tail rotor malfunction script for instance.

-Grendel
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2004, 20:54:32 by Grendel »