Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP]Resistance: The Invasion  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Rytuklis

• Members
[SP]Resistance: The Invasion
« on: 31 Aug 2014, 14:51:03 »
Author: Rytuklis
Version: 1.0
Required Addons: N/A
Mission Description: This mission is part of my upcoming campaign that follows its own plot and timeline and disregards the main campaign events.
CSAT Coalition have invaded their neighbouring Altian Island. Sergeant Eugene Kostas finds himself in the middle of the CSAT invasion.
Features: Partial voice acting (Intro), Music from ARMA: Resistance and ARMA III.
Known Bugs: N/A
ChangeLog: Currently none
Download link: (15MB) https://www.mediafire.com/?zfgric8gaqbs38d
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014, 10:44:59 by Rytuklis »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: [SP]Resistance: The Invasion
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2014, 10:51:09 »
Sorry, I suck at reviewing so not the ususal quality..

Just noting that you should use the -showScriptErrors startup parameter when launching the game, otherwise you don't see the sripting errors on screen :)
Such as:
Error in expression <titleCut ["",BLACK FADED",9]>
  Error position: <FADED",9]>
  Error Missing ]

Error in expression <civguer1 setdir getdir "tpciv">
  Error position: <getdir "tpciv">
  Error getdir: Type String, expected Object

Error in expression <grd1 lookat civguer>
  Error position: <civguer>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: civguer

As for the mission itself (NOTE this is tested on devbranch, 'regular' set up like 'Veteran' except having multiple saves):
- Briefing shows nothing but some dates, supposed to have some here?
- There's some switchMove scripting error shown which appears to cause the Animation Viewer to start up if you restart the mission (by pressing 'Restart'). Might be some devbranch thingy though. But the scripting error is valid anyway.
- some other scripting errors popping up
- killing singular guards doesn't seem to interest any other CSAT nearby, not the gunfire nor the dead comrade (not much "penalty" if you happen to come by one and a firefight ensues)

+ I don't really have anything to complain about the mission itself, I mean it's solid, I like these sneaky missions. Wasn't that hard, even though tanks can be a pain with their superior vision.
+ Didn't come by any apparent bugs apart from those mentioned scripting errors popping up.
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Rytuklis

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2014, 10:18:11 »
Thanks for the review, even though not as much in debt :D
Regarding the first errors, I don't know why they show up as errors because the code actually serves its purpose and works.
Regarding the Briefing, it's supposed to pop up only after you get a task assigned. I'll look into it though.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2014, 16:14:47 »
The errors about the fades are because they have slight typos, missing " for example.
Undefined variable errors are caused by the variable not existing at all, and such.

Can't give exact examples because currently AFK..

Offline Rytuklis

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2014, 10:43:30 »
It's kinda shame to see this mission just lay here with only h- making a very short review of it, I worked hard on it and yet :/

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2014, 07:40:54 »
ID personally would like to see those scripting errors corrected because they're just simple typos. :scratch:

Like in cintro.sqs line 424 there's titleCut ["",BLACK FADED",9], should be titleCut ["","BLACK FADED",9].
Same in intro3.sqs on line 109.

Also there's a folder spawn_exampleV2.utes in there too which seems to be some A2 sample mission.. :hmmm:

The Error Undefined variable in expression: civguer is because there's no-one named civguer in the mission, there's however civguer1 though..

Unless of course you already have fixed them.

Offline Rytuklis

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:09:04 »
I haven't got to them yet and ofcourse I'll fix them as soon as I will, but these typos aren't a dealbreaker now are they?  :D

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2014, 12:28:24 »
As a scripter they are for me :D :D

But really, no, of course they don't break the mission.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:36:57 »
Since you asked so humbly :dry:, I gave it a quick go today. I do mean quick.

Jumping straight in. I was a bit surprised to be presented with any sort of cinematic. Much of today's community just doesn't bother anymore. I'm sure it doesn't help that BIS cares more for MP elements than SP experience and does not give editors the tools needed to produce a proper story. Enough of my rant though.

The intro began with some tension but the timing of camera angles and printed text removed from that promptly. So, a bit more attention to those areas would help fuel the tension better and keep the player leaning in rather than wandering his eyes around the screen, waiting for something to happen. Some of those angles were very good while others, primarily the ones that seemed to pivot on certain individuals, were slightly off target. I like the computer voice you used for the news cast as it seemed less robotic than some I have heard.

After the initial shot was fired, it became clear who certain units were until you drew the camera back to the establishing shot to view the fire fight. At this point, I couldn't tell who was who(partly because I don't play this title very often) and it seemed to me that one side was shooting each other(Blue on Blue) until toward the end of that establishing shot, I thought I saw some of the invaders within the city. But then that only confused me more. How did they roll those vehicles into the city without the others knowing about it? Why would they hinge the whole engagement on the lone brave guy with large testicles at the front gate? Why would that guy even approach the gate in the first place if he was waiting for the other fella to take the initial shot anyhow? I know, I'm being critical, but it was just confusing to me. Some of that text was also vanishing quite quickly before I could read and "comprehend" it. If you plan to introduce audio for those lines, it may help when the player can hear the words as he reads that small text.

Once the mission starts, I'm on the ground, supposedly dazed and out of my wits. I wasn't sure at first. I can say that I did not enjoy having control of my guy while you had a forced animation on it. A slow stupid one at that. That's nearly(but not quite)as bad as the Arma2 injured animation where the player rocks on his back like a turtle while he awaits the undependable AI to arrive and heal him. In any case, you go further and remove my gear from me. Why? Did you think removing the players gear would help him feel dazed? I didn't get that at all.

After spending some valuable time getting gear from a dead enemy, I am able to move out. The current waypoint was the obvious direction and so I pointed my guy toward it and started running. The other subordinate was weaving behind me with his current behavior setting and I didn't feel like wasting more time trying to set him to aware to keep a straight line. Before I could move out though, he was reporting armor everywhere. The direction I was pointed in was away from it so I presumed it was a race to flee the area. I was able to get up the road and around the bend before the tank unleashed his guns on my AI guy, who was still weaving and lagging far behind. To be honest here, I was still trying to re-adjust to Arma 3 controls over Arma 2.

It became apparent fast that my guy was super AI. He was drawing fire from the big gun from that armor and still running around. I know he wasn't dodging because the AI in this title are crack shots. In any case, I ordered him into a building and he made it there safely. I was in the front and he was in the rear. The armor would run up the road and back again, while infantry poured fire onto the windows whenever I attempted to peek out. It was a stalemate for me. I could not see them but they could see me with their scripted vision. The armor was too much for me to combat with a rifle and grenade.

At this point, I aborted. Without looking at it in the editor, I suspect that there is a lane that you want the player to navigate too but with that armor hulk lumbering on my heels, I didn't want to chance seeking it out. Being in that house, provided "some" cover and would allow me to play the waiting game while I slowly ticked off infantry and eluded that armor but after play testing so many missions in Arma 3 that are just like this one, I just was not in the mood to waste 4 more hours of my time, combating the Arma 3 engine rather than seeing what "you" put together.

That's what it boils down to, ultimately. Anyone can throw units and triggers on a map and let the AI do its work, but creative editors must build the experience around the player. Once I became pinned down, I couldn't see your work any longer, just the engine AI.

TIP: At mission start, have the subordinate urging the player to hurry and warn him of approaching armor or groups. Don't be afraid to offer some helpful tips to guide the player toward the safest lane(he was dazed after all). Have the mate ask things like.."Are you okay?" "You got hit pretty good" "Can you navigate okay?" "Maybe we should go this way sir?" "This way sir!" "There's gunfire on that hill ahead, maybe we should go down this gully?" "You feel that sir? That armors getting close!"

Also, add some flares in the sky on that hill. It will display that the AI don't all have NVG, they are looking for enemy in that direction and also allow the player to get a good look at opposition numbers. Even with night vision, it's difficult to distinguish units from shrubs when they are prone. Especially when they see you just fine through a small crack in the door.
Anything that would tip the player off to nearby enemy.

I appreciate your efforts. Perhaps later this week, I'll sit down with more patience and approach your mission with different tactics to see if responds differently.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2014, 06:04:26 by savedbygrace »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2014, 09:19:57 »
Once I became pinned down, I couldn't see your work any longer, just the engine AI.
One tip btw, keep low and out of sight. :P
I managed that mission firing like 10 shots or something (had to kill two AI infantry).

The way you should control your AI is to set him to Hold fire, Stealth (so that he'll holds fire longer than in danger mode when enemy is spotted), formation diamond (so that he follows you instead of just shouting blatant lies like "GO! I COVER!", "ENGAGING!", "COVERING FIRE!") and 'keep low' (stay crouched, whatever)
Then move fast from building to building (as in go inside them), once the armor appears just wait it out. Once they have passed and gone behind the hill, move.
Tanks are deadly so keep out of their sight (they have IR, thermals etc so they will spot you very easily).

I did the same mistakes as you first though realising that the only way to get out is to sneak.
Then it came relatively easy.

Ditto on the cinematics, forgot to mention them before, they're a bit erradic.
Also I think coding wise there's a slight miss-use of the camera scripting (all the 'prepare' commands are meant to prepare a scene unseen (pre-stream if you will to avoid the LOD-poping when viewing the cutscene) and the normal 'old' commands are for showing that prepared scene. That's how I always understood it anyway, I might be wrong of course).

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2014, 20:21:03 »
Here's my take on the mission:

Overview

I like the picture and the text is short and to the point.

Briefing

The briefing does not work, as there is no text displayed, and I do not recall any markers on the map.

Intro

Pretty generic "firefight from above" type, but like how you establish a character with personal story. Plus I really like the voice-overs. Obviously still robotic ones, but pretty good in that department!

Mission

I was confused at first as I could not control my character, but unlike SBG, I the long anim conveys the feeling of dizzyness for me, and missing most of my gear - well, I was a captive just a few seconds before.  :whistle:
As there were tanks all over the place in no time, I hugged the coastline and avoided them - there are so many of them I would see no chance of slipping through over the hills. This way the mission was kind of boring, and I did not fire a single shot, but otherwise I would have given up in frustration.

Outro

Missing on this one.

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2014, 20:28:03 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline Rytuklis

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2014, 21:38:46 »
Hello, sorry that I was away, life and stuff, you know  :D

Anyways:
How did they roll those vehicles into the city without the others knowing about it?
These vehicles belonged to the OPFOR, not the resistance, and they were always in the city to begin with.

Once the mission starts, I'm on the ground, supposedly dazed and out of my wits.
There must be something missing.. The intro wasn't supposed to end that way and there was a cutscene explaining what happened. I'll take a look at the code, perhaps I forgot to execute the second part.

In any case, you go further and remove my gear from me. Why? Did you think removing the players gear would help him feel dazed? I didn't get that at all.
The primary gear was removed and you were left with a pistol, to make the whole situation look more realistic. Anyways, there were two dead guys infront of you so it shouldn't have been to difficult getting a gun.

That's what it boils down to, ultimately. Anyone can throw units and triggers on a map and let the AI do its work
Well, I spent quite some time trying to make the enemy patrols and tanks to be as less trouble as possible and also possible to avoid without sacrificing the difficulty, because I'm all against missions that are easy and pointless. However, I'll see what I can do to move/remove some of the patrols to make the mission more playable.

It became apparent fast that my guy was super AI. He was drawing fire from the big gun from that armor and still running around.
That's because the character is important to the story, therefore I set him invincible.

Anyways, thank you guys for your reviews. After reading them, this is what I'm gonna do for the version 1.1:
*Fix the coding errors in the intro.
*Fix the briefing
*Make sure the intro executes the second part, because from what I've been able to read, most of you didn't see it.
*Make the mission playable difficulty wise.
*Perhaps a voice over, if I won't be too lazy :P

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2014, 23:04:55 »
Had I known to sneak out, the difficulty would not have been an issue. I just presumed the incoming armor had accompanying infantry and knew where we were anyways.
Well, I spent quite some time trying to make the enemy patrols and tanks to be as less trouble as possible and also possible to avoid without sacrificing the difficulty
Don't misinterpret what I wrote. I'd rather you not think me some arrogant snot who thinks little of mission makers efforts. I know what goes into mission making in all facets of the game and when I reach a point where it becomes a stand off between myself and the engine AI, I know it is no longer the editors' design but rather me against the engine AI features. I've encountered it many times before. I'm not saying your efforts weren't there, but once I got to that point, I could no longer see them(being pinned down)
These vehicles belonged to the OPFOR, not the resistance, and they were always in the city to begin with.
This was confusion on how the story was conveyed then. It could have been your use of chosen angles or just the scenes didn't create a timeline effect or my lack of familiarity with Arma 3 factions, but when I viewed the overall shot of the city and the battle breaking out, I "Assumed" that the resistance was already inside the city. My misinterpretation, sorry.

Anyways, there were two dead guys in front of you so it shouldn't have been to difficult getting a gun.
It certainly wasn't. I was only whining on about how much time it took to do it, thinking that I was suppose to be fleeing fast. I would like to make a suggestion though, give the guy all the gear he had to start with and just place his rifle on the ground close by and maybe his helmet which could have been knocked off.

Offline Rytuklis

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2015, 10:10:17 »
Okay, thank you for your response.

Just so you know, I haven't stopped working on this yet. I'll resume progress some time soon.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2015, 20:18:48 »
That's always good to read. I dislike when folks submit a mission and rarely return, if ever.

My failing GPU prevented me from playing Arma3 recently, but now my whole system is down for at least another week or so. I'll return to the beta boards once I have everything operating again. Keep plugging away at it.