Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Trains???  (Read 1971 times)

RT

Trains???
« on: 03 Sep 2002, 14:50:51 »
Is it possible for someone to design a map with a train tracks in it, and then to have trains that we can addon, ie the russian armoured train would be a sweet addon to have but it is all down to if thrain tracks could be made on a new map?
 ???

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Re:Trains???
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2002, 14:55:03 »
i think kegetys tried to get that idea to work - i think he found it either too complicated to work and would need some serious scripting to get the trains to follow the tracks, or just completely impossible.  :-\
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

RT

« Reply #2 on: 03 Sep 2002, 15:20:41 »
Well how about this, when u program the computer to do a convoy just program the train to do the same and travel in one direction just stopping at stops every so often so u can get on and off, although saying that it would wreck the fun of playing with the train.... must be a way?

mikeb

« Reply #3 on: 03 Sep 2002, 21:16:28 »
Should be more possible with Res now I would think?

For example, in the first campaign mission you can find your motorcycle to get to Lipany (or whatever) or you could catch the bus.

Maybe a train can be made using the bus model (enough passengers, arranged in the right way, etc) and then a new road system could be made that's exactly like normal road segments but textured like tracks.  Then you use the busstop system in REs for you train station stops.  If you make the tracks realistically straight and on flat land, there shouldn't be too many problems.

Finally you could make the tracks actual objects to ensure the effect that one portion of track is destroyed for one reason or another, the train will spin out of control when it nears.  (could do a domove random position type command) and then it could explode, or at least crumple after it derails for a few seconds.

Wouldn't look entirely realistic but it may work.

If I knew how to do all this I would and maybe you addon people know why such an idea may not be possible.  Just thought I throw a few ideas into the arena...

M

tai mai shu

« Reply #4 on: 03 Sep 2002, 22:33:12 »
i dunno.  unless your doing a terrorist mission or sumthiin, military trains are pretty impracticle in modern day warfare.  rarely does the US use trains to transport troops during combat (last time was in ww2 i believe), the russians probly do, cuz they dont have anything better to do, but trains just arent used on the front line.

and i do agree, a bus moving along railroad tracks woul look really stupid.  remember in Delta Force??  that mission where you jump out of a blackhawk onto a train? now that was a cool mission.

how come ofp cant be more like delta force lol.

BlinkDog

« Reply #5 on: 04 Sep 2002, 06:17:39 »
The trains previously mentioned were during WWII I am assumeing, like the one in Enemy at the Gates. Actually the last time the U.S used trains was during the gulf war. How else are you going to get all those M1's to the harbour without using a shit load of JP4 (enough to end the war due to budget overruns). I remember seeing a segment on CNN.

MAK90

« Reply #6 on: 05 Sep 2002, 01:00:23 »
I work for  Union Pacific RR and I see a couple military trains a month come through the yard.Where Im at Im sure they are going to San Diego or 1 of the many bases on the West Coast.

Like was mentioned before why drive a convoy cross country when you can just load it up and know it will be somewhere on time.

I think it is a good idea.

Bosniarat

« Reply #7 on: 05 Sep 2002, 05:39:50 »
We Call it "Rail Heading" And its a hard job to get M1A1s and M2A2 BFVs to get on the Cars just right, We (TF 1-41) rail headed our Tracks to Hungry in 1997 and it about 5 hours to get all 101 to 104 Vehicles on the Cars.

BlinkDog

« Reply #8 on: 05 Sep 2002, 08:27:47 »
I keep forgetting the U.S military is so big. I can see it using the rail system alot. Here in Canada we don't have nearly as many tanks, something like 140 leopard C1's. We obviously do not use the rail system as much.

My Brother in Law (he works for petro can) was also telling me how in the U.S they have a refinery on standby that will process fuel and lubricants exclusively for military use in time of war. Goes to show how extensive the logistics are for a modern army.

LimeCordial

« Reply #9 on: 06 Sep 2002, 00:04:44 »
if the train tracks were made like roads, then road prefering vehicles would follow them too i would have thought.

i know why the british army doesnt use trains.....

1) country's not really big enough.

2) by the time they got to the port or whatever the war would be over.  :)

blath

« Reply #10 on: 06 Sep 2002, 13:17:58 »
and also if i was in charge, i wudnt risk puttin my army on a train, they're jus 2 damn unlucky recently

with the thing about cars following roads, they dont follow the road closely and accurately enough 2 immitate a train on tracks

Robbo

« Reply #11 on: 06 Sep 2002, 16:48:08 »
I do want trains in OFP but it does seem very difficult if not impossible.
With the road idea, it could work, but as many people have been frustrated with the cars/trucks constantly do un-needed
turns and start stops which would look really screwed if a train was on it
Robbo