Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Kill zones/Borders  (Read 1310 times)

ukajtec

Kill zones/Borders
« on: 15 May 2003, 18:41:14 »
Ive made a CTF with almost everything working apart from my kills zones (well they work but dont work right) basically i have set 4 rectangle borders around the parimeter of my ctf.  They are slightly angled due to the map not being a direct south to north (more south-west to north-east) i have this line in the on activation "_x setdammage 1" forEach thislist; titleText[format["%1  You crossed the border",name (thisList select 0)],"Plain down"]  Which basically kills and tells whoever it kills that they have crossed the border, its set for anybody and works fine on preview in the editor.  I then send it to my mpfolder and host it on my server and as soon as we get halfway in the map it kills you for crossin a border that aint even there.  Could someone plz tell us what im doing wrong or is it a bug BIS never ironed out because ive tried numourous other kill scripts on rectangle borders and it seems to still kill you when you aint even near the kill border area.

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
Re:Kill zones/Borders
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2003, 19:16:24 »
That's because there's an issue when it comes to rectangle
triggers and multiplayer. For some reason rectangle triggers
aren't working propperly in mp.

Anyway, you could do it different aswell by the other way around:

you need 5 triggers for that:

Let's say we make a limited area of 1000/1000
(everyone outside this area shall be killed
instantly)

Trigger1:

:note - this trigger may not be required, if you
are using an init.sqs file. In case of the init.sqs you can run the following commands from
there.

size: 0/0
activation: none/once

condition: true
onActivation: inner = true; outer = false

Trigger2:

size: 1000/1000
activation: anybody/present/once

name: triggerA

condition: this

Trigger3:

size: 1200/1200
activation: anybody/present/once

name: triggerB

condition: this

Trigger4:

activation: none/repeatedly

timeout: 0.5/0.5/0.5

condition: inner
onActivation: killthem = list triggerB - list triggerA; inner = false; outer = true

Trigger5:

activation: none/repeatedly

timeout: 0.5/0.5/0.5

condition: outer
onActivation: "_x setdammage 1" foreach killthem; outer = false; inner = true

hope this helps

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

ukajtec

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2003, 19:38:21 »
Cheers for that Chris D but the only problem is that my map is rectangle shaped  :-\ i will keep that trigger for a later map i will make.  Ill just fence the area in for now unless someone has a sure way of getting round the rectangle problem and helping us out with the killzones.  Ive noticed maps like mokra and the EFL maps have rectangled borders and they seem to work fine but after copying the border script from them it still dont work lol.  It s a strange editor or im the strange one  ::)

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2003, 00:51:47 »
For the rectangle triggers not working correctly, i fear that
nobody will be able to help you.

There's already a thread (started by Terox) somewhere here
in the multiplayer editing section, where we could figure out
that there is an issue with rectangle triggers.

However if you still want to use rectangle triggers, then why
don't you try my suggestion and have a look if it works.

The rectangle triggers seem to go crap when it comes to
stuff like (xxx present). If you are just refering to the trigger's
list (like i do) it shouldn't matter.

The difference between your version and mine is:

You are checking wether a unit is entering one of the triggers
around the area, while i am instantly setting damage of everyone outside the limited area to 1 = kill him.

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

ukajtec

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2003, 03:34:28 »
Oh sorry m8 ya didnt say wether to use rectangle or circle triggers  :o I will give em a try.  It seems to me with the rectangles that once you turn your mission into a pbo file it gets confused and moves your rectangle triggers to a possition that isnt where it should be giving you the pain of getting killed by border zones whcih aint suppose to be there.  Cheers again for your help  ;)

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2003, 11:26:36 »
hehe - i know what you mean about the trigger positions
when it comes to pbo format

Once i was trying to simulate a mine field which could
blow even tanks (laseguidedbomb).
In multiplayer me and my buddies were flying thru the air
miles away from that triggers  ;D

~S~ CD

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2003, 22:57:16 »
Dont use rectangle triggers if your mission is for mplayer. They migrate for no apparent reason and can be unpredictable

With careful sizing and positioning, you can create very long thin borders almost a straight line with ellipse ones!

Dont forget to put an outer warning zone to warn players when they are approaching it. There is nothing more annoying than walking into a killzone and not knowing about it

Another tip, just have the outer warning trigger send a message to the player that triggered it, not global, this way, if he is trying to flank, his position isnt given away.
To do this use the following line

On Activation :  if (Player in thisList) then { Titletext[format["%1 \n You are near a West Safezone \nHead south or die!",name(thisList select 0)],"Plain down"]};
« Last Edit: 16 May 2003, 23:03:47 by Terox »
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123

ukajtec

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2003, 02:26:22 »
Thx for all your help it has solved my main problems and its now rdy for a beta test   :o If ya ever have some time, come to UKA server and look for the map called [UKA] Up In Ruins im sure it will be a classic  ;D