Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Long Tan  (Read 1406 times)

PathFinder

Long Tan
« on: 04 May 2003, 14:29:26 »
Hi

Long Tan, now that was a battle! 11 platoon surrounded by the 274 and 275 and Guerilla Regiment being attacked by every direction. A platoon went in and only 11 people made it back with the VC and NVA taking more then 600 dead and more casualties. This battle was more intense then Mogadishu's "black Hawk Down" incident and would be alot easier to make plus if made right would be one of the best missions in OFP.

This people would make an excellent mission.

If you need more info PM me and i will tell you everything.

Phantom

Re:Long Tan
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2003, 15:31:15 »
lol, we need to have a section of this site listing issues already discussed for newbies.
the numbers are just too large for ofp

Iwesshome

« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2003, 14:37:04 »
I agree with Phantom but if PathFinder used some scripts for respawning to deleting dead units maybe he could pull it off.

PathFinder - can you tell us more about the mission?

IW

PathFinder

« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2003, 06:54:32 »
hi

Yeah ok.

The newly arrived 1st Australian Task Force established its Phuoc Tuy operations base in 1966 at Nui Dat, a piece of high ground surrounded by rubber plantations.

The Viet Cong had achieved dominion in the province  and decided to inflict a politically unacceptable defeat on the Australians. Their plan was to lure the Australians from their base by firing recoilless rifle and mortar shells into it. They theorised that the Australians would sweep the area around the base in an attempt to stop the attacks, and the Viet Cong would ambush the sweeping forces.

On the night of 16/17 August 1966, the Viet Cong fired a barrage of shells into Nui Dat, wounding 24 Australians. Prior to this event, the Australians had become aware, from radio intercepts and sightings, that a large enemy force was operating close to the base. Australian patrols sent out specifically to find the Viet Cong had not encountered the force.

On 18 August 1966 D Company of 6RAR was patrolling in the area of the Long Tan rubber plantation when, at about 3.15pm, the lead platoon (11 Platoon, commanded by 2Lt Gordon Sharp, a national serviceman) encountered a small group of Viet Cong who fled leaving one of their number killed by the Australians. The aggressive patrolling continued until, at about 4.08pm, the main body of the Viet Cong 275 Regiment was encountered. The Viet Cong attacked vigorously with mortars, rifle and machine gun fire.

In pouring rain, the Australians returned fire with platoon weapons and artillery which was firing from the Nui Dat base, a few kilometres to the west. Close air support was also called for but couldn't be used because the target couldn't be identified accurately enough in the conditions.

At 5pm D Company's commander, Major Harry Smith, radioed for ammunition resupply. Two RAAF Iroquois helicopters which happened to be at Nui Dat to transport a concert party were tasked and flew at tree top level into the battle area where they successfully delivered the sorely needed boxes of ammunition.

The combination of aggressive fire from D Company soldiers plus devastating artillery fire from Nui Dat had swung the battle in the Australians' favour but the Viet Cong continued to manoeuvre to gain the upper hand. Meanwhile, B Company of 6RAR had been ordered to move to the support of the beleaguered D Company.

They did so mounted in armoured personnel carriers from 1st APC Squadron which forded a flooded stream and then shortly afterward encountered a substantial enemy force. 2 Platoon of B Company dismounted and advanced on the enemy who fled.

Although the Viet Cong could still be seen massing in failing light at 6.55pm as the relief force arrived in the D Company area, the enemy force melted away as darkness descended. The battle of Long Tan was over.

The Australians consolidated their position for the night and then commenced evacuation of their wounded using the lights from APCs to guide in helicopters. During the night the Viet Cong cleared many of their wounded and dead from the battle field. A number of the wounded Australians lay there all through the long terrifying night, as the Viet Cong moved around them.

Morning revealed that the Viet Cong force, estimated at 2,500, had been badly mauled. 245 Viet Cong bodies were found in the battle area. It was apparent that the Viet Cong commanders had failed to appreciate the effectiveness of artillery fire and had paid dearly as a result.

The Australians had lost 18 killed, 17 from D Company (including the young platoon commander of 11 platoon) and one from 1st APC Squadron, and 24 wounded.

So I was thinking as i said before you play one of the diggers from D company 11platoon. But you need the aussie soldiers and a new island to be made.

Cya
Pathfinder

P.S Phantom i did a search and i couldn't find anything that had been posted about Long Tan in the mission ideas forum thats why i posted this one.

Phantom

« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2003, 09:29:05 »
sorry man, i got confused with this and ia drang. i'd love to see long tan out there, i'll host it for ya too!
but you don't need a new island, just use jungle everon or jungle malden or something, jungle malden is damn nice :)

PathFinder

« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2003, 12:13:50 »
Hi

Hey no probs phantom, I don't think i would be able to make it, well i'm sorta mediocre but i don't think i could make it so i was hoping someone with a bit more skill then me could. But i'm willing to try if someone makes the addons.

Cya

Pathfinder

Phantom

« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2003, 13:57:19 »
we're doing a REALLY large scale assault mission in the Task Force Timor campaign at www.r-s-p.org there'll be air support, artillery support, even though it's not Long Tan, it's in the woods, just at a different time i guess.