Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Chemical Warfare (BAS D/R)  (Read 28417 times)

Wolf

Re:Chemical Warfare (BAS Desert Delta/Ranger) SP
« Reply #30 on: 09 Apr 2003, 18:59:39 »
Well, had a chance to play it some.

intro was good, but at one point, just after the apache hovering and saying it was clear, it showed four hummers driving along, and the music started getting freaky, the intro froze up, and the music, at the most annoying spot, went into a loop.

I had to shut off the comp and reboot.

Tryed the mission a few times, now, either the enemy is on too high a skill level, or BAS made these Delta units and Rangers with 0 stealth rating, as I would always get spotted at long distances where I could barely see the enemy.
Played it a couple different way, now, I don't know what to do about this officer, I couldn't find him this time, and under such a strict time limit before the large reinforcements come, and needing to blow up the tanks and scud launchers, I just can't find him unless I get lucky.
I was able to beat the mission, minus the officer, as the only reason I found him the first time was luck, I finnished with two men, it would have been six, but the rest were picked off by some enemy squad coming from the other side of the complex at almost 200m. One member of Puma squad made it out alive.
Its a great mission, but I don't see it working well for me, seeing as I believe I have the lowest benchmark here with 400 or something :-\ . Plus the general fact, I suck at anythign but sniper and black op missions. ;)
With the amount of lag, and the only way of fixing said lag is to setviewdistance to so small that the AI see me before I ever have a chance of seeing them. As I find that setviewdistance seems to have no affect on them, but maybe I just had some bad luck.
I really wish I could get a better computer. :-\

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #31 on: 09 Apr 2003, 19:21:49 »
I had no lag but yeah the officier is hard to find now I havent find him I destroyed the 2 BMP's and was about to bomb the chemical pods after I did that mission ended you failed said it ???
And for the intro it would be nice if you make the Bike disembark the CH-47 too it looks now weird 4 humwees getting out and than you think where the hell did the bikes come from ::)

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #32 on: 09 Apr 2003, 19:26:11 »
Oh and intro looks for other parts really good I did not get freezing it looked cool I had no lag but hey I just am a lucky bastard with a 2.8 AMD Xp pro and 2048 DDR Ram with a powerfull G-Force 4 4600Ti 128MB and a 350 Gig HDD :P ;D
Wolf hope you get a better PC m8 400 benchmark  :-\

asmodeus

« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2003, 00:18:01 »
@ Wolf

Thanks for trying it!   :)  

Intro problem- chalk that one up to your comp I'd say.. Unless it happens every time?  It's just a camera scripted custcene w/ music...  Nothing special and it doesn't have a lot of units.   ::)

As far as the mission goes..  There's a very important thing to note:

setviewdistance affects everything in the game!  AI, player, you name it!  Did you use the radio to set your viewdistance back to 900?  Otherwise it was automatically set to whatever your benchmark can handle, which would be quite low...  Then it would just become a matter of the enemy seeing and shooting you before you do them when they come out of the "viewdistance cloud"..   ;)   :P

I dunno what to do about that..  You'll probably just have to put up with it and/or try different tactics...   :-\

Yeah, the Officer can become a real pain in the :moon:, but I've gotta have something in this mission to give it that extra little "Asmo" touch.   ;)  (like making you frantically search for the docs while a bunch of reinforcements are breathing down your neck!)   :D

Well, like you said.. It might just not be doable for your comp.. Which really sucks cause I thought these new scripts would solve all lag problems.   :-[   :(

@ BoneCollector

I did not use the BAS MH47E because it's not released!   :o   ;)  It was for a short time, and then they recalled it..   :P  I was saying I wish I could use them!   :)

...but yeah the officier is hard to find now I havent find him I destroyed the 2 BMP's and was about to bomb the chemical pods after I did that mission ended you failed said it

Hmmm....    That should be completely impossible... but you never know..  I'll look into it!  Thnx!   ;)

I'm glad you don't have any lag!  For those w/higher benchmarks it should run like a dream.   ;)

About the 4 Hmmw's...  I was going to explain that in the intro, but didn't due to technical difficulties...  Mebbe I'll add it to the next version..  

The dirtbikes are hidden in the desert!  

They were paradropped in right before your mission..  The reason I had to do this was that I couldn't get 4 dirtbikes to drive out of the back of a CH-47..   :-[  It only works w/2 vehicles.   :-X  

I'll explain that part more next time.  Thnx!   :)

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!  I'm off to look for a job and then work on the outro's!   :)

Asmo

Wolf

« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2003, 00:54:45 »
Yes, Its likely just my computer, like the last freeze up, happens from time to time.

About the officer, yea, it does add that extra rush.
Just for me though, as I say constantly, I suck as assault missions, now, personally find it really hard to keep any of my squad mates alive. They tend to act quite stupid. As I imagine everyone here knows. ;)

Oh yes, and I did use the radio command to change the fog distance, but the first couple of times, I left it close in so I could play with less lag, I finally used the radio command to take it back out because I consitantly was spotted, and shot, by AI I couldn't see. I knew who it was when the death camera went in on them. Maybe just something on my computer though.

I still say its a great mission. I'm just not to good at it. ;D

asmodeus

« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2003, 01:46:59 »
That's quite a problem w/ the whole viewdistance thing.  At least this way you have a choice!?   ::)  

It's a pretty cool command..  For those with very high benchmarks, if the weather happens to be clear enough, you can see 2000 meters or more!   :o  (It works great on my comp, since I added the "deleteeverything" script.   ;)

Speaking of which, I will give all credit where it's due in the readme for the addons and scripts I've used.. Not to mention you great beta testers!   ;D

How can you suck at assault missions Wolfo?   :o  Practice makes perfect...  If you ever get the weather REALLLY foggy, it makes it easier kinda..  I had that and just ran straight into the base like a mad chicken!   :o  (and I don't know where the guys are going to be, it's always different in one way or another!)   :)

Anyhow, this mission does kinda limit your options if you don't like to charge into battle.  

I still say its a great mission. I'm just not to good at it.

Thanks! Since you're able to beat it you're good enough!   ;)

Oh yeah, the documents aren't as important as the spuds and chem pods... (I'll work on addrating) If you get those you did good enough to save a lot of lives!  ;)  (just not the POW's from COD!)   :o

There'll be more on the outro's.   ;)

Asmo

Wolf

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2003, 02:32:23 »
Yes, normally I do get the Spud(lol) lauchers, and the chem tanks no problem, with normally only 2 cassaulties, its just the time it takes me to try to find that officer tends to end up leaving me with only two men when I get back to extration point. And I only ever found them once, because I got shot by the officer crawling along the ground. Fortunatly I had a save point just a minute before that. So I was able to find, and shoot him first.

And the fog, for my computer, it came up almost as close as it possible could. I never had it easy, but maybe it was just bad luck on my part or something.

Thanks! Since you're able to beat it you're good enough!

lol, well I do still have a few tricks up my sleve.  ;D

Nazul

« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2003, 10:03:47 »
woah, this is so much harder now with the fog. i couldnt camp on the hill and take them out. i didnt see the counter attack until they were right in close, bit too close i think for that many enemies.
lost all of my squad this time, but made it to the evac point. tried to find docs but gave up. could you put them on a Guba faced officer or something?

asmodeus

« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2003, 14:01:45 »
Thanks Wolf!

@ Nazul

Yeah, it can be a bit difficult sometimes with the fog.  I've found it helps to keep moving!   ;)  

That's a great idea about assiging the face for that Officer!  I'll certainly do that!   ;D  

Asmo

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2003, 15:33:42 »
Yes the face is a good idea. Just remember to put a pic in the briefing showing the officer. ;) ;D

Hawkins

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #40 on: 10 Apr 2003, 16:59:03 »
Played again. This time with better succes: I finished it! ;D ;D :P Got a bit of lag there but it was due to my own settings. :P
I think I killed everyone one the map. :-\ I was destroying the scuds when the counter-attack came so I pulled out after I got the scuds. I went to pumas evac point and re-grouped. Then there was at least 4 (!!) squads coming. Wasted them all. :o With the help of my excelent team mates which got some beers on me after the mission. ;D
There was one thing that cought my attention. When I shot the chemical tanks with a sabot (I loaned the BMP in the base :P ) the tanks didn't blow up. :o The AT rocket didn't do the job either. It's ok though, since I took the pods out from a distance with RPG's ;D
I really liked the intro. :) Nice music. Listened to it all the time in the mission. ;D It really gave me some energy. :P löl ;D
Also one more thing about those pods. I was supposed to kill them all right? Well I killed all expcept one and even then the radio message told me to get out and gave me a job well done. :P I killed the last pod too though.
That's about all. :) I'll be waiting for the new version. ;)
And here's my statics and a pic of the brave resistance fighters. ;D
http://ofptf.ofprc.net/users/Hawkins/CWpics.zip

Hawkins

asmodeus

« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2003, 05:54:00 »
 ;D

Thanks Hawk!

That's a cool pic!   ;D  (thanks for the stats too)   :)

I've experienced the same thing with the chem tanks and the sabots...  Guess you're just meant to use some other means?   ;)  (if you run into one with a bmp it'll blow up!)   :o  

I'm glad you liked the intro!   ;D  Yeah, AC/DC is a classic.   :)  That's what helped you beat it this time!   ;)

Thanks for checkin it out!    ;D

Asmo  

P.S. I'll be gone for the weekend, so no updates from me until I get back!   :P

deaddog

« Reply #42 on: 11 Apr 2003, 15:52:06 »
I ran into a similar problem trying to blow up a radio tower.  It took three satchel charges to get it.   >:(

I solved that problem by using this in a script:

@getdammage tower > .05
tower setdammage 1

One satchel charge would get it but it still took several grenades to down it.   :)

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #43 on: 13 Apr 2003, 19:52:34 »
Any new versions m8 ;)

Poet

« Reply #44 on: 14 Apr 2003, 16:31:26 »
Nice Work Asmodeus.  :)

Completed the mission after several annoying and bizarre attempts, and enjoyed it lots.

Never knew ACDC sounded that YOUNG! Sounded like a 12 year old girl with a cold, guess Im too used to the aged and more refined ACDC of later years.   :P ( only heard TNT on the Live album )

Got a couple of errors on the Intro, first time I played it, it went to a black screen after the music and stayed that way for at least 20 seconds, was ok the other times after that.
Though twice the Chinook on the left crashed and flipped on its landing ( 2/6 or so attempts ), but the cars managed to make it out, looked odd though.  :o

I ran it under 1.90 cause my fave server is still 1.90, and kept getting "Requires 1.91" error message, though that didnt seem to effect the mission, though not sure.

I did get frustrated having to wait for the AI to catch me up on the bikes, even slightly over 40kph and they were screaming "Where are you?" at me. I know they're not the best drivers in the world, but it sucked having to keep stopping.

Couple of times, when I called in Puma, nothing happened, whether they all got killed elsewhere or something, I dont know, but they just didnt show.  :'(  Slaughter ensued.

Didnt have any Lag issues ( OFP Bench - 3409 ) except when I played it once with no fog on the map, and objects in the base kept appearing and disappearing, I'd be lining a shot up on some grunt in the base, and all of a sudden there'd be a wall between me and him.

Never saw any of the Tank Reinforcements people mentioned, guess Im just too fast and slick.   :P

Nice mission, MORE!