Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Chemical Warfare (BAS D/R)  (Read 28413 times)

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
Re:Chemical Warfare (BAS Desert Delta/Ranger) SP
« Reply #15 on: 08 Apr 2003, 14:48:06 »
Last night at 12pm I was strolling around the beta pages and saw this. ;D Deciced to give it a quick go before I went to bed.
:o ::) ;D Another good mission from you Asmo! :D Didn't finish it. Puma was late. :P Got overrun by the reinforcements. I quickly positioned my troops in good arch of fire and went ahead to check where the enemy was. Got pretty spooked when a BMP was looking at me... :o Started running back in zick-zack. Only lost my legs. ;D He shot me with a sabot and I "flied" a bit... You know what happens when a tank shoots you but you don't die? ;D :P
Got back to my sqauad and got healed. Then some enemy troops came (My AT guy took out the BMP) and me and some other troops were shooting in all directions. ;D Puma was late :( because I forgot about them at the start. ;D My attack on the base went very well. Only 1 of my guys got injured. :) :P The music effect from the predator was cool. ;D Spotted that sniper in the tower and it played. :P Also the same happened when a PK soldier was like 2m from me. :D
Didn't finish it yet. I'll have another go on it. :) I'll have more detailed info then but here's some;

• I like the bikes at the start. I like veeeery fast cars, bikes... You name it. ;D AI on the other hand isn't too good with bikes... :-\ One bike got fliped ;D when the driver was trying to make a stunt. I guess... :P Well they got a bit injured so I went back for them and healed them. Ordered them to walk though. That's what you get.... :P
  • There was a smallspelling thingy in the secret files... It was "used" or sth like that. Can't remember. Might just have been me reading it wrong though. ;D

That's the small few things I got so far. I'll play it again today or tomorrow and get back to you. ;D ;) :)

Hawkins

asmodeus

« Reply #16 on: 08 Apr 2003, 15:11:22 »
Thanks Hawk!   ;D

Glad you liked it!   :)  

I love it (kinda) when I get shot by a sabot and go flying but still survive!  Makes you glad that all the Delta's are trained as field medics.   ;D  

I'm glad you liked the predator music!  I think it adds to the atmosphere a lot.   :)  (There's also a bit of Platoon in there too..)

I like the bikes too!  It's fun to go hauling across the desert at 185 kph/mph (not sure what it is!?)   ::)

The secret docs will be fixed in the next version thanks to the great LCD!  Tanks LCD!   ;D

I've been working on the intro and it will have lots of explosions (you'll see how that fits in  :)) and glorified shots of the choppers landing and the Hmmw's and KLR's ride out of the CH-47's into the desert!   8)  (gotta work out a few bugs with the scripts, but it looks like it's going to work fine)   ;)

Thanks again for testing it and I look forward to hearing what happens when you get farther!   ;D

Asmo

deaddog

« Reply #17 on: 08 Apr 2003, 16:14:22 »
Now this is an intense mission!!  :o

It has that Delta Force (the game) kind of feel, only much better.

No problems with all the downloads (why haven't I downloaded the BAS stuff yet?????  What a mistake )  :)

I had an issue with choosing weapons (not a problem with the mission).  To speed things up a bit, I need to carry the satchel charges.  It takes too long to order my guys to place charges.  Have to go through several pages to get to the "put satchel charges" option.  But I also want to carry an AT4.  That way, I can take out that first BMP from a longer range than my guys are willing to shoot.  Oh well. Decisions, Decisions....  ???  I agree with the other comments about the briefing.  Very well done with the right amount of info.

Placing those ammo crates inside that building was cool.  Took me a while to find them.

I personally thought the reinforcements come a little too early but that's just me.  Too long and you could lose that sense of urgency which would spoil the effect.

I've played the mission twice now and managed to lose my squad both times.   I was able to finish after a couple of retrys.  Escaping along the beach with a tank and a bunch of infantry after you is heart pounding. :)

I had no lag what so ever. My benchmark is 4300.

The music was a little too loud but I generally disable background music in any game.  Good choice of tunes. ;)  It would be nice if the music would stay disabled.  I had to turn it off several times.

I also got the "This is taking too long... Let's get this done" message after I was already halfway back to the evac point.  Maybe have that trigger off time and distance.

Overall, I give this mission an A.  I can't wait until the final version comes out.  It's a keeper.  ;D

PS

I forgot to write down my scores, kills and time.  Guess I'll just have to play it again.  :D

Wolf

« Reply #18 on: 08 Apr 2003, 16:58:55 »
well, asmo, I'm sorry to, the lag was noticible, it wasn't really bad, but enough to make it hard to aim. I've been playing it all morning, and I'm kinda getting fed up, I just cannot find that officer with the documents. I've looked everywhere. And everytime I got in the base and was lokking for it, the Back up would always get there first, and that T72 would simply massacre my team. Just a few minutes ago I was again all by myself, and I had to try and lead a one man army against them, armed with only a silenced M4 and some stachels. I did what I could, but never had much chance when they were looking for me and with the lag. Is the officer in a building or something?

But then again, I suck at assault missions. :)
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2003, 17:01:45 by Wolf »

deaddog

« Reply #19 on: 08 Apr 2003, 18:00:36 »
OK, my third time to play yielded this:

31 minutes playing time
score  = 5200
24 kills, including vehicles.

Do all of the enemy have to converge on my position???? Can't some be dumb or lost?? ;D

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #20 on: 08 Apr 2003, 18:59:11 »
I notice the lag too. :-\ I really have to upgrade my comp. Jesus this is getting on me...:P The comp I mean. ;D
The lag started to appear after the first counter-attack. The second wave must have been too much. ;D
Do you use createUnit? With big missions such as this it might be a good idea. It's up to you actually, and I think it's a bit complicated to use it. :o ::) Also you could make a small "script" to remove bodies. ;D It's not that hard to make. IMO. ;D
I didn't notice anything wrong here. Just that the lag got to me. :-\ You can blame my comp for it. ;D

Hawkins

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #21 on: 08 Apr 2003, 23:17:07 »
Cool I finished it the difficulty is good I have at least completed it hehehehe :P
Man that was some action I stormed the base with help of Puma I have lost 2 guys of my squad but got killed alot enemy's  ;D
Can't wait for the new version  ;)
Asmodues I hope you make some other cool missions with the BAS Delta and Rangers ;)

asmodeus

« Reply #22 on: 08 Apr 2003, 23:18:06 »
@ deaddog

I'm real glad you liked it!   ;D  

(why haven't I downloaded the BAS stuff yet?????  What a mistake )

lol!  I don't know how you survived this long without getting the BAS stuff!  The Ranger/Delta pack is great work isn't it?  ;)

That's funny about the weapons dilema...  I always do it with the default loadout!  (I love that masterkey!)   :)

That's cool that you like the briefing!  I must confess that I used the same format as the BAS demo missions' briefings...   ;)

About the reinforcements coming too early.. Is it 1 squad, 4 squads and 2 tanks, or a whole lot of squads and a whole bunch of tanks that comes too early? (there's 3 waves of reinforcements)   ;)

Escaping along the beach with a tank and a bunch of infantry after you is heart pounding

It certainly is!  And the guys on your team never run close enough to the water and almost always get picked off!  (at least in my experience)   ::)

Glad you had no lag, you're one of the few people it seems!   ;)

About the music, if you want it to be off for the whole mission I suggest going into your options and turning it off there...  I might make the next version where that turn music off trigger affects all the music though..  (but some people just want to hear everything but the Slayer at first...  ugh)   :-\

Good point about the "taking too long" message, I'll fix that up, thanks!

Again I'm real glad you liked it and thanks!  

oh yeah thanks for the score and:

Do all of the enemy have to converge on my position???? Can't some be dumb or lost??

Not in my missions!   ;)   :D  I gotta use every guy to his fullest extent to cut down on the total to cut down on the lag.   :)

@ Wolf

NP!  I'm just gonna make a few more changes and it should hopefully be better next version!  This will be playable for all comps!    8)

For this version the docs shouldn't be too hard to find, all you have to do is kill the officer that holds them and you're done.   ;)  The officer is in the area somewhere, he's on allowfleeing 0 so he will not leave that facility...  He shouldn't be in a building.. but ya never know!  (I didn't put him in one on purpose or anything)

Also, sometimes this mission is more difficult than others because I used probability of presence on a few things..   ;)

Thanks for testing it!

@ Hawk

Lag for you too?!  What's your benchmark again?   ::)

After the first counter-attack?  The one with the tanks right?  Hmm......

I don't use createunit yet in this mission because I didn't think it would be necessary..  Believe it or not, this is somewhat of a "small scale" mission compared to my other missions..   ::)  

The idea is to get out of there before you really have to fight the reinforcements.. I just put so many cause my friend was beta testing it over here and he kept staying at the facility!  I didn't want that!!!   :P

Anyways, I should be able to correct any and all lag problems thanks to you beta testers feedback!  (just need to know benchmarks too, if you haven't told me already)   ;)

Thanks to all of you!   ;D   :)

Asmo

deaddog

« Reply #23 on: 09 Apr 2003, 00:25:10 »
I think it's the last wave that gets me.  The four tanks are murder!!  :)  The first two waves are managable.  But it drives home the point that I shouldn't be sticking around.  After all, spec ops aren't supposed to take on large forces.

I tried to hunker down in the town and defend. Thought I could ride out the reinforcements.  Didn't work  :'(

That island is sweet.  I checked it out in a chopper (in the mission editor).  I'll have to come up with a mission for that.   :D

Wolf

« Reply #24 on: 09 Apr 2003, 03:04:21 »
ok, well I decided to try this some more. This time however I decided to try to and sneak into it this time.
However, I was consistantly spotted by one LAW solier at 160m. Even not moving he saw me way more then he should have been able to.

I finally found the officer, don't know how, he was just there. Lost a bunch of men to the well trained enemy.
I also think the enemy forces come rather quickly, but then, maybe if they were delayded one more minute, just a thought. But then like I said, not to good at assault missions.

Managed to beat it with 2 men left, but then I was being chaced by a T72 who shot two men at WAY farther then it should have been able to even see us.

Got to the end, heard the ending stuff, but the mission did not end. Put it on X4 for a few minutes it still did not end.

Good mission, fun and really hard.

Nazul

« Reply #25 on: 09 Apr 2003, 07:18:13 »
Asmo, jsut a sugestion, instead of the 4x T72's in the final wave, how about 2 or 3 T72s and 1 self propelled mobile artillery. the mob arty could sit on the hill in the distance the tanks comeover from and pound the base it would still be visable from back there. i cant recall ever seeing any mob arty in a mission and theres a few good ones about. it would have to be set as private so it wasnt too accurate, just hitting close enuff to put the wind up yr tail :)
 you should post yr mission in this thread http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-binn/ikonboard301/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e93a68b0853ffff;act=ST;f=4;t=28827
its a thread about the industrial pack, you will be a star!! :P

you guys having trouble attacking the objective, set up camp on the hill to the east. i didnt lose any guys at all and cleared the base.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2003, 07:51:12 by Nazul »

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #26 on: 09 Apr 2003, 13:49:07 »
My benchmark is 1802. ;D Maybe I should turn down the detail and other  things... ::) Might be that too. ;D I'll try it.
The lag started when the V-80's attack wave came around. It had atleast 4 tanks. :P

Hawkins

asmodeus

« Reply #27 on: 09 Apr 2003, 16:36:40 »
@ deaddog

Thanks!   :)

@ Wolf

Thanks!   ;D  Not sure why it didn't end, but I fixed the endings for any circumstances (I hope)   ;)

@ Nazul

Thanks!  I'll check it out.   ;)

@ Hawk

Thanks, this new version should be better for you!   ;)

Speaking of which...

NEW VERSION!!    ;D

• Intro added w/more custom music!  (AC/DC)   ;)
  • More Benchmarking!
  • Multiple endings depending on how many of the objectives you complete
  • Dynamic weather script used that toadlife made to make random weather every time you play this!   :D
  • Used script to delete all enemies not close to you.. Reduces lag greatly!!   ;D
  • Used a new thing setviewdistance (benchmark)  It effectively checks your benchmark and adjusts the viewdistance accordingly.  If this messes with your style, just use the radio to set it back to 900.   ;)
  • Take documents now fixed thanks to LCD!   ;D  (you have to actually pick them up now)
  • The enemy surrenders if they feel greatly outgunned.   :)
  • Other stuff that I forgot about cause I'm too tired!   ::)

I also checked the .sqm and made sure the addons for the intro and mission match and such.   ;)

So..  I hope I didn't forget anything, and I hope you like it!   :D

get it here:

http://www.everoncartel.com/CW.zip (3.9 MB)

Asmo   :)

P.S.  I still plan on doing an outro-win, lose, and custom voices!   8)

P.P.S  On rare occasions, the intro won't go as planned.. If that happens, try it again and it should work fine!  (there's a part that's a little tricky)   ::)   ;)

Oh yeah.. The pics in the briefing should be better also, and the radio message about taking too long should be fixed as well.   ;D
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2003, 16:42:50 by Asmodeus »

Wolf

« Reply #28 on: 09 Apr 2003, 17:24:12 »
Hey Asmo, got the new version, got all day off, so I'm going to go test it. Be back later.

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #29 on: 09 Apr 2003, 18:38:35 »
You work fast so now I go to play and see how the intro is ;D
I think you forgot 1 thing you said I will use BAS MH-47E in intro so you used it if yes than let people know  ;)