Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Keeping a conversation going?  (Read 1779 times)

SnakeFart

Keeping a conversation going?
« on: 06 Apr 2003, 05:16:21 »
i have set up everything how i want it but i cant seem to figure out how to keep 2 people in the same spot and have them talking back and forth without moving each character. plz help..any help will be used.. thx

???

toadeater

Re:Keeping a conversation going?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Apr 2003, 07:38:03 »
What exactly is your question? What do you mean by "without moving each character"???

SnakeFart

« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 2003, 08:07:44 »
the only way i found out to keep getting text on the screen is to keep giving each person a new waypoint and then writing new text in the effects option. i need to know if there is a way to keep each person stationary and have them still talking?

Flapje

« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2003, 10:08:01 »
open up notepad and write down titletext ["hey moron",PLAIN DOWN]
then choose save and click on Text documents. Change that to All documents and call the filename chat.sqs

now, ingame type [] exec "chat.sqs"  when you want this to happen. I.e. in a trigger activated by west, at on activation.

if you want them to say more an wait 3 secs between each line, type
titletext ["hey moron",PLAIN DOWN]
~3
titletext ["hey monkey",PLAIN DOWN]
~3

so, if you want them to wait a whole minute you type ~60

got the picture?

SnakeFart

« Reply #4 on: 06 Apr 2003, 10:27:57 »
ok im new to all of this so if you could type what a conversation would look like that would be great...

i.e... hi.
how are you.
good you?

and where do i save the document at?

Flapje

« Reply #5 on: 06 Apr 2003, 10:51:44 »
wait, I'll write it for you in a .sqs, hold on

EDIT: okay, I got it. the PLAIN DOWN in there means that the text will come at the bottom of the screen. Read above (in my previous post) how I made it a .sqs file. put this in the folder of the mission you make and in the mission type [] exec "chat.sqs" in i.e. a trigger or a waypoint
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2003, 10:55:48 by Flapje »

SnakeFart

« Reply #6 on: 06 Apr 2003, 11:25:38 »
i didnt have a folder for my mission so i made one and i placed the pbo in it and then saved the sqs into the folder.then i go to the mission adn when the player hits the trigger it says

Script chat.sqs not found

any idea why?

Flapje

« Reply #7 on: 06 Apr 2003, 11:33:43 »
no, I dont... is it exactly my script you've placed in there? coz if it isn't it may be that it's not chat.sqs but chat.sqs.txt. if it IS mine, you'll just have to wait for someone else to come by :-\

EDIT: okay, the script isn't right, my apologies :-[ I forgot the "'s at the PLAIN DOWN thing. However, if the error just says can't find script "chat.sqs"I don't know what's wrong
included is the improved script
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2003, 11:42:01 by Flapje »

SnakeFart

« Reply #8 on: 06 Apr 2003, 11:36:36 »
ok i have to save them as chat.sqs.txt instead of chat.sqs?

Flapje

« Reply #9 on: 06 Apr 2003, 11:45:23 »
ok i have to save them as chat.sqs.txt instead of chat.sqs?

no, sorry for the bad explanation. I'll do it again: first, you insert the script into notepad. Then, you choose Save as... then you'll come at a screen where you can choose the name. Down under you can see text documents (.txt) click on that and choose All files. Then name your file chat.sqs and it will be a .sqs file. Also read my EDIT from the above message.

included a screenshot, you'll probably have to zoom in ;)
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2003, 11:47:40 by Flapje »

SnakeFart

« Reply #10 on: 06 Apr 2003, 11:51:39 »
i noticed also that b4 u told me it was
titletext
 and on your chat.sqs file it was  titlecut

which is it?

Flapje

« Reply #11 on: 06 Apr 2003, 11:56:30 »
mayb it works both ;) titlecut works anyway, but I saw somewhere else that a guy used an other command, mayb I still had that in mind while I wrote my reply

SnakeFart

« Reply #12 on: 06 Apr 2003, 19:09:38 »
ok and i type  [] exec "chat.sqs"  in the On Activation field of the trigger correct?

Flapje

« Reply #13 on: 06 Apr 2003, 20:50:56 »
correct.

SnakeFart

« Reply #14 on: 06 Apr 2003, 20:59:18 »
ok i do that and i get this...

Flapje

« Reply #15 on: 06 Apr 2003, 21:00:50 »
hmm.. okay, we'll just make a little example mission on desert island, consisting of a trigger and one west soldier. hang on, I'll make a pic of what to do

EDIT: okay, it's here.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2003, 21:03:23 by Flapje »

Flapje

« Reply #16 on: 06 Apr 2003, 21:07:02 »
here's a pic of what the trigger looks like
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2003, 21:07:34 by Flapje »

Flapje

« Reply #17 on: 06 Apr 2003, 21:10:09 »
and this is what your mission folder looks like

EDIT: okay, those were all my screenies ;D I think the problem is anyway, that the chat.sqs isn't in your mission folder
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2003, 21:13:10 by Flapje »

Flapje

« Reply #18 on: 06 Apr 2003, 21:29:31 »
I got it snake

the chat.sqs in your folder is a text document. okay, follow this step by step: first, write down all those things in a notepad document. Then, go to 'save as'. Now, the important part. Look at where you can enter the name of your file. Under it says: Save as: Text document (.txt). Click on that thing and choose All documents. Then completely remove the name you had for the file and write this down exactly: chat.sqs

now you won't have a text document but an sqs file. you can recognize an .sqs file like this: it's blue with white around it. Not a notepad with some lines on it, then you did something wrong.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2003, 21:30:07 by Flapje »

SnakeFart

« Reply #19 on: 06 Apr 2003, 21:42:21 »
ok i did that but it switched the pics on me now my mission sqm file has the notepad pic and the chat has what the mission.sqm had...:( help ;)

sent u an email with the pic i have now

Flapje

« Reply #20 on: 06 Apr 2003, 21:50:44 »
okay, you did something really weird, but the mission is still an sqm file (which means that it is the mission) so that should be good... and chat.sqs is a shortcut ???

I really don't know what you've done, I suggest you try to make your own chat.sqs from the ground off and see what happens.

aww, I'm gonna go to bed now, I need rest after this thread :P good luck and I'll look if this is solved tomorrow
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2003, 21:52:02 by Flapje »

SnakeFart

« Reply #21 on: 06 Apr 2003, 21:58:49 »
i started a new one and i get the same thing...does encoding have anything to do with what it saves as?

SnakeFart

« Reply #22 on: 06 Apr 2003, 23:26:49 »
i switched something (cant remember) and now i get an error at the top of the screen that says operator DOWN unknown..is there suppose dto be a space between PLAIN and DOWN?

this is how it looks right now

"blah blah", PLAIN DOWN     ...now is it supposed to look like this or like this

"blah blah",PLAINDOWN      ...with no space between the comma and no space between PLAIN and DOWN?

Flapje

« Reply #23 on: 07 Apr 2003, 07:58:32 »
ok, quick answer before I go to school ;) you should write plain down like this:
"PLAIN DOWN"

that space doesn't really mather I think. but plain down must be between " 's

SnakeFart

« Reply #24 on: 08 Apr 2003, 22:09:32 »
Quotation marks around PLAIN DOWN worked WOOHOO!!!!

THANKS FLAPJE!!!

SOLVE!
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2003, 22:10:52 by SnakeFart »