Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: East Air suv18 won't sit still!  (Read 4431 times)

Namo

East Air suv18 won't sit still!
« on: 03 Apr 2003, 16:56:46 »
I place it on the tarmac select "none" in special and it still keeps on moving away, I want it to sit still dammit!

Is this a bug or am I just stupid? I got $50 riding on me being stupid.

Namo

Re:East Air suv18 won't sit still!
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2003, 17:24:45 »
shit sorry I didn't say it proply man, I fixed the previous problem and they go where I want em, the problem now, is that the planes (not choppers) won't sit still they dont have a waypoint yet and they go to their right when I never told em to.

Namo

« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr 2003, 17:26:26 »
Sorry for not making myself clearer, I am just frustrated and I didn't re read what I wrote.

I just want the damn plane to sit still now that I got it where I want, the placement is fine, it's just now it moves without me telling it too and turns to the right.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr 2003, 17:32:49 »
Apologies Namo, I've deleted my post.

Are they kind of sliding, or are they moving like they are supposed to (I mean when you tell them to)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr 2003, 17:38:34 »
The problem is propably that you've got them planes on a group and the group leader automaticly 'tells' them to fall back in formation.

I can't think of any way to get it fixed other than you
unitname setfuel 0
on them with a script or a trigger or better yet on their init fields.
then when you want them to start moving again (take off) you put
unitname setfuel 1
to the trigger or waypoint or whatever which your using to tell them to take of.

get it?  ;D
Not all is lost.

Namo

« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2003, 17:47:17 »
Nah firstly I had just one dude in a A10 and me watching him not connected to a groupo and he doesnt have anything like waypoints and such, just the 2 of us, and he starts moving bunny hopping like and goes to his right.

even in group they do the same thing

Namo

« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2003, 17:49:51 »
Also, With choppers I have no problem, I have made choopers as reinforcements and they work perfectly, it's just with planes they are fuxored.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2003, 17:50:12 »
hmm.. do the setfuel thing even still. I think it will help.
Not all is lost.

Namo

« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2003, 17:58:04 »
Ok I will try that setfuel thing.

So   this jack setfuel 0 in init? then jack setfuel 1 on a waypoint?

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:00:44 »
Yes that'll do it.. but make sure the waypoint isn't jack's because if jack has no fuel he'll never make it to his waypoint and thus can never get no fuel to get to his waypoint and thus..... :D
Not all is lost.

Namo

« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:03:26 »
hmmm it won't let me do it..  It says unknown operater jack

Namo

« Reply #11 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:04:13 »
I am confused now, if the plane starts with no fuel then how can it reach it's waypoint?

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #12 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:08:53 »
It can't. You need to give him fuel when you want him to start flying.

hmm..  :hmm:

you put in jack setfuel 0 in jack's init field
- Jack has no fuel and stays where he is

you make a trigger (activated by radio alpha for example) and in it's on activation field you put jack setfuel 1
- Jack realises he has fuel and starts up his engines and off he goes to his waypoints
Not all is lost.

Namo

« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:20:06 »
lol

Jack sounds like a dumbarse :D

Ok, I will try what you said and let you know how I went.

Namo

« Reply #14 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:24:52 »
well it wont let me name him jack and I tried it without namming him and he just sits there..

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #15 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:28:06 »
if you can't name the plane, then you've got some serious problems.

without naming the unit you obviously can't make it work.. so you should try to name the bastard something else then or something.. dunno.. I'm speechless at the moment
Not all is lost.

Namo

« Reply #16 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:44:54 »
nonononono sorry I CAN name the plane, just not put his name in init field.

I call the plane jack, but what exactly do I put in his init field?

Namo

« Reply #17 on: 03 Apr 2003, 18:47:20 »
It says unkown opererator jack.. his init field looks like this exactly when I try to type it..

this jack setFuel 0

When I do that without putting "jack" it ok's it. but doesn't work.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #18 on: 03 Apr 2003, 19:42:24 »
uhm..

either have this, which refers to the unit which init field is in question, or jack, which refers to jack.

so you must either have

this setfuel 0

or

jack setfuel 0

you cant have this jack setfuel 0.. it's just the way it is  ;)
Not all is lost.

Namo

« Reply #19 on: 03 Apr 2003, 19:48:34 »
cool, I will try it now man thanks alot for your help I apreciate it :)

Namo

« Reply #20 on: 03 Apr 2003, 19:52:23 »
It worked, once I radiod he started up...BUT he still acts like a fucken idiot and goes to his right crashing into the hangar....

My aim is this..

by radioing 0-0-1 i call air support to bomb the shit out of the enemy...but it aint working :/

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 03 Apr 2003, 21:30:06 »
Since initial placement at the airfield is not crucial (which it would be in a cutscene, for example) move them somewhere well away from the hangers.    Give them a move waypoint on the taxiway, synchroed to the radio trigger.     In the waypoint, select formation column since that is how they will have to take off.   And then just leave them to it.

Namo

« Reply #22 on: 03 Apr 2003, 21:51:53 »
Ok mate I'll try that, for now it's off to sleep... I will report back later guys thanks alot for your help :)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #23 on: 03 Apr 2003, 21:56:47 »
Well one thing I never do is group aircrafts. Choppers or planes. I always make separate untis and for them separate waypoints.

There's something about the Flying AI of OFP which is just simply unusable with groups. They tend to go to the same place all at once and collide and crash. There should be some way to make the leader of the group not call them into formation or something..
Not all is lost.

Namo

« Reply #24 on: 04 Apr 2003, 04:25:14 »
I tried moving it and it still does the same shit regardless....

Do you guys have a working mission you could send me of nogove on top north island airfield that has a suv18 on run way that sits still and by radio alpha takes off and flys to a seek n destroy point then when emptied all ammo goes back and lands?

MadFred

« Reply #25 on: 04 Apr 2003, 06:19:38 »
Hello,

If you want to use the planes as your reinforcement then you could also do the following:

place the pilot on the tarmac
place the plane as Empty/Air/PlaneName

Give the pilot a Move trigger, close to the plane, followed by a Getin Wp
(on the plane) and then the waypoints where he should go to do his attack etc.

Now place a trigger, Activated by (P.e. Radio alpha), Type switch, And synchronize it with the first (move) waypoint.
(To synchronize (F5) draw the line from the trigger to the waypoint)

Now I have only done this with one plane but you can also synch the same trigger with the WP's on other pilots/planes you want to be in the first guys group and then give the other guys a JOIN waypoint to the first guy after their getin waypoints.
(correct me if I am wrong, anyone)

I have made you an example mission for one plane, However it is on the bigger airfield in the west, and I  think the Northern airfield is not suited for AI planes as there is only one airfield that is coded to be used by AI on each Island. I tried that one before but the planes just turned left or right at the start and they drove straight off into the sea.

Anyway I hope this helps,

MadFred

« Reply #26 on: 04 Apr 2003, 06:38:46 »
Hmm Yes indeed, the northern airfield cannot be used for AI planes,

I took my example, and placed it on that on and the A10 just drives into the hangar!

So you will be resricted to use the main airfield I'm afraid. and if that is not convenient for your mission, then you are restricted to helos there.

MadFred

bmgarcangel

« Reply #27 on: 04 Apr 2003, 06:43:49 »
An A-10 won't drive into the hangar in the northern airfield unless you doing something wrong .  I have a mission were an A-10 taxi's out of the hangar and turns to face the east and then it powers up.  Quite simple to do too.  No triggers needed.  Only init string needed was a face this direction thing till it was airborne.  If you want the init string you have to give me a little while.  I don't have the mission anymore because I scrapped it for space so I have to find it at @war.

MadFred

« Reply #28 on: 04 Apr 2003, 06:55:41 »
ah yes,

the A10 turns right because the main AF's have north to south bearing

ok that init string would be nice ;)

But then the plane still wouldnt be able to land there I think, as the Autoland mode for AI is coded for the main AF only????

bmgarcangel

« Reply #29 on: 04 Apr 2003, 07:01:28 »
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........you can get scripts for that job man.  Very easy to do.  Plus if you want it to land there is other ways to do so.  Using markers and waypoints and other things.  You could use the look that direction thing as soon as I find it and also use a lower altitude script that would lower the altitude slowly in seconds, make the plane angled to 30 degrees, and at a certian height and point near the airfield make it so that no more fuel is in the plane till it lands. ;D

MadFred

« Reply #30 on: 04 Apr 2003, 07:19:22 »
Roger that,

Well so far I havent really used those smaller airfields yet (Nog. and Mal.)

I never needed them for my missions, and I am not yet experienced enough with editing to know those things like making a plane land in other then normal way.
Just taking it one step at a time with this and whenever I make a mission and something comes up I dont know, I dig into it. (=I come here)  ;D

Namo

« Reply #31 on: 04 Apr 2003, 16:11:24 »
Hey guys thanks for your help :)

This is the thing, I made my first mission based on that north island on nogova and end up capturing it for my first mission, so the second is to have planes and heli's based on that airport. I have used heli's there and they work perfectly cept the planes. What I will try is getting 2 in the hangars and trying it like that if not I will just use helis there till I capture the other airfield then try planes there.

If not I will use a script but I got no idea of how to do one..

For now I'm gonna see if anyone is online so I can play a bit then when people leave I will get back to my mission ediditing.

If any of you guys are interested in giving me opinions on my first mission I will post it up here and you can give me some feedback I would really like that :)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #32 on: 04 Apr 2003, 16:15:03 »
Namo, if you have a nearly completed mission not post it in the beta testing board ... that's what its there for :)

Namo

« Reply #33 on: 04 Apr 2003, 18:32:24 »
ahhhh cool man! :)

*goes off to try new ideas for planes*

Offline goki

• Members
« Reply #34 on: 04 Apr 2003, 18:38:36 »
I sent this same message to forum but maybe I can reach the answer in this way quicker :)

Listen I got a simple problem:(it sounds simple but it is not actually)

I want to have an empty helicopter stays on ground and some soldiers around waiting for example 5 soldiers and I want after 60 seconds they getin helicopter and move to a waypoint.

I did achieved to make them get in after 60m seconds by writing assignascargo commands into captain's waypoint. but although I put a second waypoint as move, they are just rising and waiting in air,not going to 2 waypoint!

how can I solve this?

should I add any trigger?

please help me ?

Namo

« Reply #35 on: 04 Apr 2003, 20:07:51 »
When I put the suv-21 on other airfield follows waypoints but at minimum speed and just goes and doesn't take off...

Also, For my other mission, I have a heli with trigger waypoint to attack airfield, thing is it is waiting to be called and is in air wasting fuel, how do I make it stay on the ground and go straight to attack with trigger? Should I put a seek n destroy and synch with triiger radio?