Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sinews of War v1.0 released  (Read 1713 times)

Offline CrashDome

• Members
Sinews of War v1.0 released
« on: 29 Mar 2003, 10:16:31 »
SOW is a set of scripts that exploit the object.sav file. It allows an inventory of weapons (buy and sell) and saves character information such as kills and score (client side) for use between MP missions. Thats right... I said MP missions....  
It's a kind of campaign type idea for Multiplayer. here's where you can get it:

http://home.wi.rr.com/sow/

note: be sure to read the documentation... its extensive and probably answers alot of questions

I need bug reports to get to version 2 (ultimately) which I hope will include functions and other refinements to make it smoother
my mail:
crashdome@wi.rr.com

WolfFlight

Re:Sinews of War v1.0 released
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2003, 02:07:18 »
downloaded... will check them out and let you know what I thought

is this based on a similar concept as the conquer the island money scripting??

so basically the server would run set missions that included this scripting??

I will read the documentation... I am sure more information is there...

irregardless it sounds like a good idea.

Offline CrashDome

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2003, 09:02:27 »
I am unaware of the "Conquer the Island" scripting... so to the best of my knowledge ...this I believe is original. Although, I could be wrong.

It is designed so the server runs missions created with SOW included to maintain the inventory and economy. There is no set order and I believe that players can even jump sides (East to West to Resistance etc...) between missions while maintaining their own personal equipment and their score/kills. Among other things....

WolfFlight

« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2003, 03:18:35 »
so far so good

I need to sort thru the sqs files so I figure out how to make a set of storage containers for EAST side or WEST side

I want to make a simple two (three sided mission)

want to try something with one of my coworkers

I want side 3 (yes I know I said two...the third is a mutual enemy...) to be located in various locations on the map in various concentrations...

Sides 1 and 2 would start out with a bare minimum of money... and no weapons

The leaders of 1 and 2 (myself and my coworker) would attempt to take on different locations of the mutual enemy in an attempt to capture 'land' and supplies...  building up finances and trying to outdo the other player...

this would I believe test a few phases of your SOW scripts

think you can help me out with this??

all of my testing so far has been ok...

the only 'bug' so far... I tried 'selling' vehicles before ending the mission the first time and actually getting them into my inventory... (wouldn't it be possible to log vehicles into the inventory without ending mission if they are in the 'hold' locations???)  the result... I accidentally sold 4 bmps... I had none in my inventory... one was parked next to me but that didn't count... the end result... I had tons of money... and my qty was -4

shouldn't it have given me an error message about not having any in my inventory to sell???

still working on the testing... have ran the mission 5 times... buying and selling various weapons... but I need bookoo bucks for some of them...

found out that putting a HIND in Hangar 1 instead of one one of the pads... it bounces around inside until it finally settles down... (does it start slightly off the ground? perhaps collision with one of the walls on insertion???)

will let you know more...

please tell me if you can whip up two sides (I can always insert enemy soldiers myself)

tried just copying and pasting some of your locations but when I purchased stuff it put it in the original boxes cuz of the name HOLD_1 of your original ammo box...)

Offline CrashDome

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2003, 06:51:57 »
ah yes the selling bug....

found it a day ago and it's been fixed (You can fix it yourself too - open the SOW folder and open the file "SOWVLSell.sqs" - search for variable "_cuVQTY" and change it to "_curVQTY" by adding the "r" then re-export the mission)

I made up the price list based on value of weapon in the game versus an "actual" price... it was only to show what could be done - you can certainly set your own prices!

Locations you can pull any vehicle you want anywhere - It is designed that way to provide maximum flexibility for the mission designers. You can script your own way of keeping helicoptors on the pad and such if needed, but if you pull a helicoptor into a hanger you may not get it out - in result - no one pulls helicoptors to hangers!  ;D

The storage container set up is explained in the documentation I believe but you can email me if you have more problems - I am happy to help.

It IS possible to log vehicles into locations without ending the mission, however, it would take an extreme amount of time for the server to grab all the vehicles and in turn transmit the data to the clients right now. Hence, why it is at the end of the mission - only the server does it because only the server saves the data! I will keep this idea of yours in mind because I plan on streamlining the vehicle "grabbing" code and eventually it might be able to be done on an individual location basis.

A fellow by the handle TREKKIE I met in the official forums has started making a Team v. Team v. Team version of this. His idea was to put locations at several bases and any team could take over the bases and gain ownership of the location AND whatever vehicles were stashed there - is a bit different but along the same lines as your idea! here is his website (its all in German though): www.ofp-zone.de maybe you can swap some ideas?

any more questions let me know!
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2003, 07:05:18 by CrashDome »