Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Drag Script  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
Drag Script
« on: 07 Mar 2003, 02:27:16 »
Hallo,

as promised in the Scpriting Ideas Forum, i have done a Script to drag wounded or dead people. An example mission is attached. Make a Folder Drag.intro under user missions and copy the Zip content into it.

How does it work:

For Players:
I have made up mind about draging in real life, therefore i have come to this conclusion (and programmed it):

- You "target" the wounded (also works for dead) you want to drag from a distance and a far place. To do so target the body with your crosshair / weapon sights or just look in direction of the body
- Select Drag in the action menu. (Now you and the wounded will drop their weapons to pepare to be draged. Also the wounded faces towards you.)
- Then you run toward the body. If you are close enough a  "Got him" message appears and you can not move for about one sec.
- Move Backwards (S-Key) to drag the body
- To unlink the body move forward

For editors:
- Place the name of the possible targets for draging in the VICTIMS array in the init.sqs (i tried to make all persons dragable but this is very performance hungry and normally you only want  to drag your friends, no enemies)

Known issues:
None

Planned improvements:
-More Animation for the wounded and the dragging person.
- AI Draging (at the moment only the player can drag)
- Clean up of the code (contains a lot of german at the moment and is rather unstructured)
- Improvement proposal from the community

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
  • Llama, softest natural fibre in the world.
Re:Drag Script
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2003, 05:35:58 »
Hi Kuro,
I had a wee play with your script I hope you dont mind--its got real promise ;D  very cool.

If you dont like what Ive done feel free to remove the attached script from my post ;)

Ive made a few changes and added some animations for you to have a look at. So when the guy thats doing the dragging reaches the injured he turns around and can then drag him moving forwards rather than backwards.

Correct me if im wrong but I think that way you'd have more strength to drag another object like a person--wouldnt you?

Also made it so u can run while dragging the guy--if you were under fire u certainly wouldnt be walking trying to get your mates outta harms way ;)

So now u can drop the guy via action menu. :)

These are all just suggestions for you to ponder on mate

Anyways have a look

Zay out

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2003, 06:35:05 »
Hello,

thanks for your script. I think the improvements are good. I must admit i have never (thanks god) dragged someone in a real combat situation. It is just the way i learned in the german army 10 years ago. (because first i used my script in going prone before start dragging)  I think this is a good topic for a discussion.

As you have seen, the script is able to do both with small changes. I mainly did it to make you move slower when dragging a body. And the move backwards made it more dramatic. I sometimes run against a wall, while i was trying to remember where i am. Personally i think my script is based on movies like BHD. Where you only have to drag someone a few meters.  In the open when you need to cover distance your method is better.  I think we can include both options in the script and the mission maker/player can decide whichone to use.

May i must test it in a combat mission. If you always get shot, because you are to slow in my way, it is clear, which way to go.

Every comment is welcome, let's make it the best dragging script available.

With best Regards
Kuro

P.S. May thanks for the animations, i planned to look for them on my on, but it was to late last evening (*hopes that this friday ends soon*)

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
  • Llama, softest natural fibre in the world.
« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2003, 06:54:55 »
Hey your welcome Kuro,

like I said I think your script has GREAT potential ;D

Well I am no soldier  and since you were trained that way then I cant argue with lol :)

However I think the main reason I suggested forwards was simply due to the hardcoding of the soldiers in the game. That being that when u have a gun u can run faster than when you dont have a gun lol it should be the other way round--dont u think?

So if you follow my train of thought--it goes like this

If we say then the max speed a guy can run is that of a player with a gun and then compare that to the max speed the player can run without a gun then I suggest that the speed is considerably slower and (for this purpose) probably simulates , more accurately, the speed the player could run if he were dragging a man.  :o

didi that make sense? I hope so.

IMHO If you could run backwards without a gun at the same speed that you can forwards without a gun then it would be perfect.

BUT like u say at the end of the day it all boils down to what is practical in the game.

nuff said

great work mate. like to see it when its finished ;D

Zay out

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #4 on: 07 Mar 2003, 13:36:08 »
da thing is prety kool ;D but dere is 1 prob

in both of scripts i can use da action drag wen im not close 2 da man i wanna drag - shouldnt b so  :P - only wen im close 2 him (bout 2 Ms me thinks) da action should apear

on zayfods 1

i can use drop man b4 im holding man - and i can stil use da drag option wen i have man on me - need changin dis

da anim loop is way 2 fast - da man looks like he is flashing  :o

LCD OUT
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2003, 13:39:40 by LCD »
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Josef

« Reply #5 on: 07 Mar 2003, 18:46:06 »
Can you use fists or weaponstroke in OPF?

And it would be quite cool if you could knock down a target and take him prisoner, and limber him up to take him to a chopper....

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2003, 00:00:06 »
Hello,

about knock down, sure not the first intention of the drag script, but a great idea and i already see great missions (*Kuro dreaming  ::)*). Therefore i will do my best to include it in the script.

About the distance: You are correct and wrong. First i had the drag action only very close to the target. But then the problem is you can not rush, grab your mate and pull him out from the firezone. Also you drop your  weapon in the Fire zone (but i think i should rename the action "select drag target").

With the drop command you are correct (should appear after you have him), i will change it.

Greetings Kuro
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2003, 00:01:25 by Kuro »

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 08 Mar 2003, 09:35:50 »
Hallo,

Newest Version of the Drag Script (Version 3). Biggest improvent you are able to drag together with a group member. If you have two people you drag in "Zayfod" style (Foward).  If you are alone you drag in "Kuro" style (backwards). Got that idea from another BHD session. (They drag always with two people).

Known issues:
None

Further improvements:
Knock down with fists. (but maybe i make a special script for that)
Adding some effects like Dust, flies, Blood trail etc.

Greatings
Kuro

P.S. Any Improvements and comments are welcome

red devil

« Reply #8 on: 08 Mar 2003, 13:07:51 »
Hey like every1 has said this script could be great. I have tryed it and it is indead very good but I also have a few things that could make it better (I think) I think that when you let go of them they get healed a bit cos u kill them when u drag them and u dont realy want to risk ur loife only to kill some1, or do you  ;D ? another thing is the hurt guy could say something to make it more realistic just something like help or medic im hit? 1 more thing is it possible to use the pickup animation the 1 where they bend over and put both hands on the floor not only would It look more relistic but would look perfect. So what do u think do it 4 the community.

C ya the Red Guy

red devil

« Reply #9 on: 08 Mar 2003, 13:11:59 »
oh and if u want to do the blood trail i can find a script 4 u cos i have seen 1 on another forum it would be cool tho I think that flies might be going a bit far and what would the dust do i dont get it.

Sorry to post again but cunt the guy dragin just put his gun on his back???? and why do you have to select your target from so far away cant you just do it when you get realy close cos u run 4 ages with no gun be4 u get 2 ur man.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2003, 13:17:01 by red devil »

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 08 Mar 2003, 13:53:37 »
Hallo Red Devil,

thanks for your ideas, about the healing. I will make it in another script (already under preperation). It is more or less an automatic corpsman.  Drag your wounded to him and he will make a diagnosis and even "resurrect" them. Or do you mean the dragged guy takes damage because of dragging ? At the moment the script alone makes no sense because just to drag someone somewhere makes gets you no benefit.
About sound, thats a good idea, i will implement that. Animation changes are quite difficult because i must take what BIS provided, but if someone finds a good switchmove animation (i am more than happy to include it, please send me the animation name; i played around a bit but there are so many of them).  I think flies for the dead and dust while carring are to extreme, but i will surely make bloodtrails (it is easy).
The far away target selection, is just a nice thing, it should also work close up the same (but i think i had to improve the near target detection)
With the gun on the back, well first in must say normally you drop your weapon if you have to drag one guy alone (it is hard work even without the weight of the gun). And if you go prone (yes this script allows you to go prone and drag the guy when you are draging alone) it looks just perfect (but is awful slow).
My intension was a city fight, go as close as you can under cover. Drop your gun run to the guy. Drag him to your gun and the cover.

Greetings Kuro

red devil

« Reply #11 on: 08 Mar 2003, 16:28:06 »
Ok that sounds cool I was just thinking that maby the man could drop his gun just b4 he graps the dead guy not all that way away if that makes sence, blood trails would be cool so please do it u will be using the blood pools from resistance wont u? Also I think I no of animation would be quite good but i cant find it at the mo I will look later.

Thanks alot Red D

p.s once you have started dragin the guy (in v3) try lying down its quite funny  ;)

Iso_Marvel

« Reply #12 on: 09 Mar 2003, 19:04:32 »
Hi.

I havenÂ't test script yet (soorry, I do it after this writing - and maybe give more feedback then), but it soundÂ's really cool. I read that there is no benefit for dragging woundedÂ's and I have idea (IÂ'm not scripting guru - so I havent give any thought that is this hard thing to do or not).

Anyway. I been wonder even before that it would be nice script if seriously wounded soldier randomly have black outÂ's and getÂ's stunned, maybe even have change to bleed to death. So itÂ's better to drag unconsious soldier away from enemy fire. You donÂ't actually need benefit for dragging - you only need more realistic wounded system.  ;)

What say u m8Â's?
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2003, 21:15:17 by Iso Marvel »

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2003, 10:34:20 »
Hello,

i have finished Version Beta 4 of the Drag script.
New Features:

- Drag the wounded to a Doc who heals them automatically
- Drag the dead and the wounded to a heli for evac
- Several small bugs fixed

Known issues
- The resurrection of the dead for the heli evac works sometimes, sometimes it did not work, do to BIS code problem, will search a work around.

Further Imporvements
- Make a 1.46 Version
- Add Custom Sound
- Add Blood (only together with Keg Editor AddOn :(

Josef

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2003, 18:04:24 »
Just tested it ;D

was sweet, but there should be some more stuff for MP, like, "Help dragging" and the action should be added when ure close to a dammaged friend, not be added in INIT...

I think there is a knock animation...

You could select the target, then you took you rifle in a firm grip, and knocked him down once within 1 meter, then you could select drag, the enemy(for MP) could also drag, to safety...

If this was a Blackop mission, you would bring the captive to a chopper, and take off...
Using this for hostage resque could be nice too, two persons walking by the side of the hostage, with gun in hand, the hostage would be moving at combatcrouch...

This would make MP hostage resqua better...