Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Modern MARPAT Marines  (Read 2951 times)

suchey

Modern MARPAT Marines
« on: 23 Feb 2003, 19:33:29 »
Earl and I are working on a Modern USMC pack which will include Marines wearing the new MARPAT cammo, new issue boots, a variety of soldier classes, and a host of new weapons created by Earl.  Now that the project is in full swing Ill be doing my best to keep this thread updated with info in regard to our progress, as well as updates on the screenshots.  Rather than post a ton of screens, the main shot (posted below) will change when the pic is updated.  Please note that the face on the pictures is simply the face I use as my own custom face.  The Marines use any custom face which has been set up in your own game, however, the faces shown in the pictures are available for download at http://www.digitalgrenade.com
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2003, 19:35:15 by suchey »

contraz0rz

Re:Modern MARPAT Marines
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2003, 19:50:06 »
those are VERY good.

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2003, 20:00:26 »
Great Models, Great Textures, I don't understand why the Marines are swiching to MARPAT, but eh, not your Problem right?  ;) Great work!  :D

Bronski

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2003, 20:13:50 »
MARPAT works a lot better than what they were using.  The new boots don't show up as much as the old ones.  

On the History Channel show Mail Call they did a whole segment about it.  The MARPAT camo is computer designed.

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2003, 20:16:58 »
Makes scence, i just think the old pattern is prettier  ;D

Bronski

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2003, 20:27:03 »
Oh, i thought of another thing on the MARPAT uniforms that are different.  They moved around some of the pockets.  On the old style many of the pockets would be covered up with the webbing and such.  

I think they added pockets to the upper sleeves.

Cpt. FrostBite

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2003, 20:51:47 »
And one of the most important reasons why they changed to MARPAT is because the Marines wanted a camo-pattern different from the rest, since half the world wears their old camo (us woodland). Marines wanted to stand out, because they are/consider themselfes elite.

Tracer

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2003, 21:35:49 »
They are looking great... nice work!

SpclFrcsSnpr

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2003, 23:26:11 »
One Word! WOW :wave:

Raptor-Man

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2003, 02:54:25 »
 :o And that's all I've got to say about that.

viper172

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2003, 03:00:19 »
great work suchey i can't wait to have those guys on my hard drive also hats up to earl on his weapons work ;)

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2003, 07:30:35 »
Are there any ghillie-suited Marine Corps Scout/Snipers? Please say "yes..." We need a new set of ghillie-suited snipers sooooo bad! Why hasn't anyone done this? Seems as if there would be as many of these as any other sniper addon.... If you haven't done it yet, please, please, please, make one- and set the frigging new standard!

ofpeditor

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2003, 23:08:19 »
My first post in a looooong time, but some information I'm sure many of you know already.

The subtle differences in MARine PATtern Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniforms lie in the a) the pattern (obviously) and b) the construction.

The pattern was developed digitally and "pixeled." While some consider this ridiculous, and others call this "ugly," camo is designed to blend it's user into the environment. At 200 meters, the MARPAT is 40% less likely to be spotted than standard OD uniforms. And as mentioned previously, the Marines wanted something they could call their own.

The construction is similar to Special Operations BDUs. Cutting the lower pockets off and moving them to the sleeves has been something we've done for some time, as access to the pockets in their standard position is limited. The Marine Corp realized this and with the issuing of the MARPAT, has made them "user-friendly." Chest pockets are slanted at an angle as to accomodate the reaching across of an arm to get inside the pocket, the lower pockets are eliminated and moved to the upper sleeve for use as "map-pockets."
Not so important is the collar modification as well.

Looks like some excellent work there mate, can't wait to get a hold of them.

Cheers
ofpeditor

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2003, 23:17:05 »
The pattern was developed digitally and "pixeled." While some consider this ridiculous, and others call this "ugly,"

ahmen to that, but I heard some where that in a few years MARPAT is supposed to eventualy be replaced by a Completely computerized Camo that acts almost Cammelion Like and will Change color depending on the Environment the Marine is in

suchey

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2003, 02:15:01 »
Ive been doing some work on the first person perspective and Ive been able to get the hands to actually hold the weapon rather than clip into it and look like a hamhock glued to the rifle.  Its not perfect on every weapon, but for most of them its a bit of an improvement.  I tried to fix up the holding of the LAW as well, but was only able to get it fixed to a minor degree...the wrist completely disconnects when the soldier holds the law (as can be seen on the default soldier models)...so there isnt a whole lot I can do about that...but at least part of it is fixed!  

Wires

« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2003, 08:08:54 »
You could merge the hand to the arm either straight merge or make a connecting peice that may look ok

suchey

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2003, 15:50:21 »
I tried to merge the arms and wrist, but the wrist rotates too far it seems in the LAW position.  It actually rolls over 90 degrees from its normal position, so merging the arms makes it flat when the wrist rolls.  the problem area is at the bottom right of the wrist so merging only that area doesnt do much good either as it just pulls the sleeve too far under the launcher.  Im quickly coming to the conclusion that this is just an issue with the soldiers that is going to be there regardless.  Ill keep playing around with it and see if I can come up with something.  I really appreciate the suggestions and was hoping it would work.  Thanks.  

In regard to the rest of the progress, things are going well with the project.  I will be working on getting the sniper moving along soon.  I actually had a sniper ready to go, but Im not satisfied with the look at all so Im restarting from scratch with him.  Earls weapons are on the move as well...Im having alot of fun with those in game and cant wait to be able to use them online with others.  So far I only have the betas of the M16a4 and its various scopes...these bad boys deffinately make the M16 a worth while weapon again as opposed to the default OFP M16.  

A couple of side notes...as I will personally be using these units primarily in adversarial multiplayer, I will be keeping that in mind as progress continues.  Blood textures are also coming along nicely...I went in a bit of a different dirrection with these so I hope folks like it.  Ill probably post some pics of those in the near future.  In the meantime, I welcome any suggestions or comments folks may have.  I really appreciate the response from the community thus far!  Ill continue to do my best in keeping the community up to date on our progress with these.  Please also feel free to contact us or post addtional feedback in the forums at my site www.digitalgrenade.com.  More to come!  

suchey

« Reply #17 on: 03 Mar 2003, 04:23:11 »
I updated the screen shit...this pic is for Ferret Fangs who was asking about the scout sniper.  The basics are based on the ghost recon sniper but as you can see its got a different look to it completely.  The remainder of the set up was based on pictures from the net.

suchey

« Reply #18 on: 06 Mar 2003, 08:17:11 »
updated shot..changed the ghille colors to be more OFP environment friendly...added a longer coat and foliage to the suit.