Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Hands  (Read 1006 times)

Crassus

Hands
« on: 21 Feb 2003, 12:37:22 »
Is it possible to raise the level of detail with respect to the modelling of the soldiers' hands? Perhpas I'm the only schmoe here who's been a bit bothered by the "bear claws" that OFP's soldiers have, and the way they seem to "melt" into the weapon at times.

What if the weapon and soldier's arms/hands were modeled together, thus you would have the weapon "welded" to the hand. This would of course require animating the hand and arm movements that are part of the weapon reloading sequence.....And then we run into "what happens when the soldiers throws a grenade?" And this would require weapons add-on makers to model/animate the hands and arms with their weapons.

When the final release of AnimX and tutorials occur, then this may be possible.

Your thoughts and comments on this will be appreciated.

DeadMeatXM2

Re:Hands
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2003, 12:53:35 »
A good idea... but not workable with the current game engine...

the soldiers hands are very much part of his body, and therefore the model selections that go into it...

The hands are fixed into set poses (hence the "bear claw" look to them) which is why it looks odd when the weapon is on the back and so on...

Also, using this method, what happens when the weapon is dropped? or slung on the back? there will be hands everywhere...

With the current game engine, we are limited to keeping the hands how they are now, and careful modelling and placement to prevent the hands from "slipping" into the weapons

Using the anim tool, yes we can create new animations for each weapon, but that just goes to increase the workload on the modders, and the filesize for the users... The amount of coding and the number of .rtm (animation files) for 1 new weapon is unbelievably large... there are at least 30 animations to do (Walking/Running/Crawling/standing/crouching and so on...) and the cpp file would run into 100's of kb's in size (no problems for downloading, but a nightmare to code

as a final point, depending what lod you are in, the face count on the hands (highest detail lod) is 500 faces (for both hands - 250 each...) adding more faces to increase the detail will simply increase the lag  :-\ its a "stuck between a rock and a hard place" situation
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2003, 12:59:36 by DeadMeatXM2 »

DeLiltMon

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2003, 13:24:54 »
I've got this mental image of a gun on the ground with a pair of hands attatched to it.  ::)

Crassus

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2003, 22:15:08 »
Yes, that is a funny sight to imagine. Thanks for your thoughts.

O Neil

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2003, 22:17:10 »
Hayhahahahaahhaha !!!!!!!

I know what you mean, but I recon they need to do something about the reloading stuff. I mean, he doesn't even switch mags or anything ???

O Neil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------