Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 963 times)

Nobby

Time Travel
« on: 17 Feb 2003, 13:14:51 »
Here's an interesting one for you to tackle...
How can you time travel in game a la "Back to the Future"?
I know you can use skiptime...but how would you be able to skipdates? If you know what I mean...remebering to fit all these functions into a car.
The 88mph thing would be cool as well.
Is all this possible?
Cheers
Nobby

bn880

Re:Time Travel
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2003, 01:00:11 »
Skip dates?  You can skip days or months by simply increasing the skipTime hour count.  ie 48 will skip 2 days ahead.   You can try skipping more than a year, I'm not sure if it takes you back to 1985 start or into 1986.

Deadman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2003, 15:08:42 »
i had this idea the other week but my comp bust and i have nt tried it yet so i will  now and let you know

Deadman

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2003, 16:32:25 »
you could try this

_Unit = _this select 0

_Vehicle = _this select 1

#Update
;check unit in the vehicle and speed of the vehicle. you could just use the speed part
? (_Unit in _Vehicle and speed _Vehicle > 88):goto "back"
~3
goto "Update"

#back
;skiptime minus 365 days
skiptime -365
exit

the only thing is you will need to change the type of units in the mission depending on how long you travel

ideas. you could go back to ww2 times and with deletevehicle you could get rid of all uptodate units and with  createunit you could replace them with ww2 units.

the script will need working on if you want specific timetravel settings. but this should start you off

Deadman

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2003, 18:03:56 »
i just realised that - 365 would only be -365 hour

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2003, 12:33:13 »
_Unit = _this select 0

_Vehicle = _this select 1

#Update
;check unit in the vehicle and speed of the vehicle. you could just use the speed part
? (_Unit in _Vehicle and speed _Vehicle > 88):goto "back"
~3
goto "Update"

#back
;skiptime minus 365 days
skiptime -8760
exit

-----

There, that's how many hours you'll need to skip to make it a full year (365 days, leap years not accounted for).

TheCaptain did some experimenting, and by using the Time and dayTime commands he was able to extract the full date and time of day. If you do some sort of hint, showing the dayTime in all it's glory, you could see if the game actually took you to -84 (or wherever you jump) or if it stays in -85.

Oh, idearz!!!
You could do a dialog interface, where the player could select how far back to jump. And then you'd calculate how far back it was in hours and skiptime there, and have preset eras.
Like, 1900 to 1925, WW1 time and units. 1935-1945 WW2 time and units and so on.
Dunno if that would work or not, with a bit of scripting (and the appropriate addons) I think it could work well.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Nobby

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2003, 17:54:37 »
Cheers guys, looking good
all we need now is a delorean (with all the attachments)
and a way of choosing which date to travel whilst in game. Is this possible?
You know, getting in car then typing in the date you want then when you hit 88mph the script works out how many hours it is till that date then transports you to that time.
Sounds tricky I know, but this is the advanced section, I'm sure we can work it out.
Please keep me posted.
Cheers
Nobby

Nobby

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2003, 18:12:56 »
Just tried out the script and it works like a charm.
All we need now is what I've said previously and something I missed...
The special effects as time travel is initiated, you know where the wheels and bumper light up and little sparks appear, and of course the big white lights just before you travel(could this be done using the "drop" partlicle), also, just to complicate things, how can you apply skiptime to only one unit?
As it stands now the skiptime applies to all units so every unit goes back or forward in time... Would be quite cool if you were watchin the car going along and then it suddenly vanished with the fire tyre tracks, and then it reappeared again in  5 minutes.
Cheers again guys