Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Darkness Before Dawn  (Read 12440 times)

Mandible

Re:Darkness Before Dawn
« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2003, 20:36:18 »
downloaded,

reply tomorrow evening probably. Black op missions rock!

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
  • The night is my friend.
    • DarkAngels Missions
« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2003, 23:41:29 »
was there tanks at comm center? I avoid things best when I dont know of them ;D

There were supposed to be, and believe me, you should have known about them, that was the problem! I kinda forgot that tanks don't drive up mountains too well  ;)
If you've downloaded the second beta it should be more of a challenge. That's all I'm saying...

Cheers everyone for coming back to this thing. Intro/outro version should be ready soon.
Darkangel
"Moondark" in Beta Testing

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2003, 08:16:43 »
IÂ'll wait to beta test untill da intro/outro versions comes. ;)

Mandible

« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2003, 19:38:06 »
mission don't start
any idea about a "mad_sa80" addon?

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
    • DarkAngels Missions
« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2003, 13:17:01 »
Nope! OFP doing strange things to me again I reckon. Didn't happen to anyone in the first version. I've got that addon somewhere but it's definitely not used... ::) I'll look into it and get back to you.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #20 on: 02 Mar 2003, 17:54:38 »
check dis out angel!

open notepad and oper yer mission.sqm and thereÂ's the addons yer using, if any1 doesnÂ't belong, just remove it and c what happens.

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
    • DarkAngels Missions
« Reply #21 on: 03 Mar 2003, 02:04:10 »
Cheers Armstrong.

Right, this should work, with no addons included whatsoever. I've also added an Intro and Outro-Win, so this mission is pretty much nearing completion and this is hopefully the final beta.

I've acted on a lot of the earlier beta-test comments - there's an expanded briefing with some background about the mission; you now have an insertion point with the whole squad and a buddy to back you up; there's a scripted response to the Shilka attack and so on.

Known issues
- still no overview pic, coming soon!
- sometimes Alpha's first radio message doesn't appear, no idea why this happens  ???

Hope you enjoy this, look forward to your comments!
Dark

Kaliyuga

« Reply #22 on: 04 Mar 2003, 22:40:28 »
 Got it...
 gonna play it...
 get back to you soon ;)

Kaliyuga

Mandible

« Reply #23 on: 05 Mar 2003, 11:03:54 »
got it,

reply this evening or tomorrow during the day.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #24 on: 05 Mar 2003, 21:34:32 »
 Well....  I beat it last night.....  ;)

so here's some feedback...

The intro and briefing were fine..... although I noticed you put AAA instead of AA in one place ;) and perhaps the boat should be on stealth when leaving to go drop your guys off .... so the light isnt on

Mission:   First off..  It's nice that there is a weapon selection in the briefing, cause the UZI you start with by default just doesn't do the trick. I took the HK instead, a much more accurate and reliable weapon
Ditched one of the satchels for two more clips as well.....
Having the  glock as a sidearm is a nice touch too.. but how about using the silenced version instead? ;)

So I started out..... told #2 to go with the others and hide in a bush somewhere..... which is pretty much where they stayed for the mission ;)

made my way alone down the beach.... took out two patrolling soldiers along the fence line.. and continued down the waterline to the end of the peninsula... crawled up the hill.... placed my satchel under the Shilka and set the timer for a few minutes ... then scoped out the area real quick....

ended up crawling to the ammo truck nearby and hopping in....
I ran down about 5 or 6 guys on my way out of the base before hopping out and crawling away through the small town nearby.....  

Headed up to meet with the rest of the squad.... and when they rejoined.. I sent them up one side of the hill as a diversion and circled around the other side myself....  took out the sniper..... and a well placed grenade took out a few guys that were in the tent still.......  ran in... placed a couple more satchels... and got out of there...  the chopper was a nice touch... but I was a little too quick to get out of there for it to really have any impact on me......

told the rest of my squad, minus one, to head on towards the extraction point... got there.. mission over... ;)

attached is my screenshot of score.....

I may go back and try to beat it without firing a shot.. cause I think it's possible ;)

It was a fun mission overall.. just lose the UZI, and maybe at team of three would be enough instead of four......  I think #2 would just get in the way if you were trying to sneak into destroy the shilka  
(Just my opinion.. I hate AI team mates, or walking ammo crates as i call them)

Also .. when the alarm goes off... nobody goes to investigate the beach area at all.....  I felt rather unimpeded to the shilka.....   I think I could have snuck away from that first peninsula after only killing the two patrolling guys, without setting the alarm off whatsoever... but I hopped in the ammo truck because its just more fun to run guys down with a 5t truck... I just love the way they bounce off the grill.... kinda sucks you don't get credit for guys you run over as kills.... ::)

P.S.  I'm assuming you're going to remove the radio option to make yourself a captive whenever you want? ;D
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2003, 21:35:32 by Kaliyuga »

Offline Arctic

• Members
  • In Utero
« Reply #25 on: 05 Mar 2003, 22:08:14 »
AA stands for Anti-aircraft and was used in WW2. When SAMs came out, they changed 'AA' to 'AAA' to mean: "Anti Aircraft Artillery" so that they can differ the missiles from the shells.

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
    • DarkAngels Missions
« Reply #26 on: 06 Mar 2003, 01:27:46 »
Cheers Kaliyuga.

I'm going to revert back to my original plan and send the player in to deal with the Shilka alone. During my recent playtesting it's just been irritating having someone else along, they always get spotted!

I think generally I'm going to beef up the enemy presence. At the moment they're a bit too easy to avoid and/or slot entire patrols, which seems a little unrealistic, no matter how elite you are. A couple more patrols should do the business. I'm also going to add a couple more guys at the fence.

Nice touch with the ammo truck, I've tended to use the UAZ rather more myself, but I'm glad you thought of something different  ;)

The scripting at the Shilka area is still in progress, in v0.95 a squad will probably come and check out the beach as your primary means of ingress. I'm also using a flare script so that, once the alarm goes up, the bad guys will be able to see you.

I hope you do try to go back and do it with no kills, it is possible! I'd like to be able to add in a bonus score (a la GoldenEye on the N64) for completing the mission without killing anyone or being detected. Anyone got any idea how I can do this?

I may cut down the chopper's response time a little. Don't want to make things too easy now, do we?

Arctic, cheers for the post about AA/AAA. I thought I was right about that (too many flight sims when I was younger  :))

Cheers to both of ya
Dark

Mandible

« Reply #27 on: 07 Mar 2003, 11:33:55 »
re,

beat it also a few mins ago:
Kaliyuga has said most of the thigs that bothered me too

- the peninsula is well covered, but could do with more, also check the road east of town and the beach opposite of the shilka.     I took a law in weapons selction and after "two" go shot a few times I decied togo to the beach south of the town (there is no living soul out there) set my view to 3000m, saved, and lawed that shilka (what a satisfaction  8) ;D ).
there was still no reaction from whatever unexisting enemy.  :(

So I moved up the hill and fell upon the patrol (bad luck for them) moved in killed the spetz (the alarm went off somehow) and shot the comps (that didn't coplete the objective so I satcheld them but still no objective, guess yu should make it clear yu hve to satchel them). After that I went to the boat, lost a guy to the bad ones and mission complete.

-remove the radiocommands in final version

- remove "two", he's just annoying

- script some response to setting off the alarm ("two" was spotted and shot, a that moment there was a squad 20 m from me (at the harbor), they went on combat an I thougt "this is it", after 2 secs they went back to safe and everthing was ok.)

- place patrol on the road going east of Modrava

- place a patrol to the beach south of Modrava

- add some more infantry to the radar and better response (the spetz didn't shoot too well if at all)

- a sniper on a tower that you can see from two miles away is not very clever (but the only way to have one I guess), he seems just to be there to get shot and trigger the alarm that way.

A very nice mission, challenging thoughnot complete. I like black op missions.

Nice Intro (check music and sound fadeout) , Outro could use some more real fighting.
Briefing, very nice (check for minor errors), good old Gastovski  :)

Kaliyuga

« Reply #28 on: 07 Mar 2003, 21:13:45 »
Thought of one more thing that slipped my mind when I last posted..

the text that states "Bower Field"  you use for your onloadintro should be changed to something more universal.... as  whatever you designate as your "onloadintro" is also used by default  as the "onloadoutro"

Offline DarkAngel

• Members
    • DarkAngels Missions
« Reply #29 on: 09 Mar 2003, 19:16:28 »
Hey guys, thanks for all your comments so far!

Attached is v0.95, with the following modifications:-

- Default weapons are now the HK and silenced Glock. This means you need the BIS Weaponpack addon (included with Resistance I think) to play.
- Added patrols to the east and south of Modrava to stop clever tricks like Kaliyugas  ;D
- Flares now go off when you get detected around the Shilka; the scripting's been tightened up a little too.
- You're on your own for objective 1, no annoying squad members.
- Comm centre has more security
- Quicker response times for the chopper
- Waypoints added for cadet mode.

I'm still having problems getting a decent overview pic, probably due to not having a good graphics package! Anyone got any idea what I might be able to do? (I have Paint and Microsoft Photo Editor, and that's it  :-\)

Cheers.
Dark