Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] City of the Dead (BAS D/R)  (Read 17323 times)

The Avon Lady

Re:City of the Dead (w/BAS's Delta/Ranger addon!)
« Reply #30 on: 10 Mar 2003, 12:01:41 »
PBO is 2,818K, dated February 27 12:34AM.

The Avon Lady

« Reply #31 on: 10 Mar 2003, 17:47:11 »
Two more suggestions:

1. Sprinkle lots of dead enemies (minus all weapons) and destroyed armor in and around town. Remember what the intro showed happening there?

2. Convert most of the enemy AT soldiers to standard ones. It's too easy to pick up RPGs in the mission. Make us hunt for them, if we want them.

asmodeus

« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2003, 21:33:16 »
Thanks!   ;D

1.  LOL, originally I had tons of dead bodies everywhere, but got complaints about lag.  I'll probably add some back and just benchmark em.  Thnx

2.  Thanks for pointing this out, but that's not a problem at all!  I want you to have AT capability by the end of the mission, and it takes up lots of room in your weapons loadout anyways!  (I personally prefer more clips for this mission to kill all the guys with)   ;)  So grab all the AT gear you want!   ;D  (They have a lot cause it's cheaper than buying lots of tanks)   ;)

A couple q's:

Did you see the gear choice since you do have the correct version?  ::)

How far have you gotten so far?

Thanks for the feedback!   :D

Asmo

The Avon Lady

« Reply #33 on: 11 Mar 2003, 08:27:20 »
Thanks!   ;D

1.  LOL, originally I had tons of dead bodies everywhere, but got complaints about lag.
Then make it a half a ton but some should be lying around.
A couple q's:

Did you see the gear choice since you do have the correct version?
Now I see them. My point being, the satchels should be pre-assigned in the MISSION.SQM to one of the AI. The player shouldn't have to go and look for them.
Restarting. ::)

The Avon Lady

« Reply #34 on: 11 Mar 2003, 09:46:51 »
Just took a hit from another well-placed PK'er. :P Fortunately, I believe in saving game positions. ;D

I started at that hill to the east, heading into town and clearing out the first row of houses. After taking some casualties and a wounded AI, I retreated back to the hill, healed the AI, went back towards the forest and came up over the hill prone near the road that enters the town center from the north.

Saw several enemies eastward and took them out, hit a nearby PK'er and crawled in. Made a mistake of ordering 7 to target the remaining T55. A shot rang out from closeby. Sure enough - a gunner in the doorway 2 meters away. After getting rid of him, I ran across the street and got my RPG ready to take out the tank. Then the PK'er 20 meters behind me filled me full of lead. :gunman:

I'll restart back at the save point, which was when we regrouped outside the forrest to head into the center of town. But later............... this mission is taking up a lotta my time. ;)

asmodeus

« Reply #35 on: 11 Mar 2003, 10:57:18 »
heh

A half ton it is.   ;D

I could give a satchel to one of the guys, or change the briefing.  After all, it really only takes 2 shots each w/ a glock now.   ;)  (a hard drive shouldn't really require too much more I think)

Just took a hit from another well-placed PK'er. :P

Thanks!  Yes, the savegames on this mission are priceless!  (there is a little bonus for you in this regard when you destroy the comps)   ;)   ;)

Yeah, this mission is full of lead surpises delivered to you at a much greater than cheetah-like velocity!   ;D  Just wait until you destroy the comps!  Then it really gets crazy!   ;D   ;D

Oh yeah, as pointed out by LCD, I'm fixing the chopper evac, so for now the best way is to call them when you are at the pickup area and ready.   (for now it is wp dependent for you to be at the area marked on the map, will be fixed on the next version)  

I know what you mean about it taking a long time to beat it!   Let me know if it's too difficult to locate the comps...  (should be obvious I hope)

Thanks for spending your time on this!  Helps a lot!   :D   :)

Asmo

The Avon Lady

« Reply #36 on: 15 Mar 2003, 18:48:52 »
Located the comps. Wow! Great mission.

If possible, make sure that all the enemies in the comps building are positioned away from the edges of the walls because some of them warp through either side of the wall when they turn around in prone position.

After taking them out I proceeded to extraction. What do you mean by "Just wait until you destroy the comps!  Then it really gets crazy!"? Maybe I missed it because of the exit route I took out of town. Other than one shooter south of the city, I encountered nothing else on the way to the EZ.

I reached extraction area, cleared what I had to clear and called for extraction. Now my chopper is just hovering over the area, not picking me up. :'( Is that the bug you were referring to?

When are you going to post an updated/final version?

Some general thoughts about AI behavior.

I lost all of my AI mainly because the AI don't have the brains to look left and right before crossing the street. ;D I had 5 of them with me till we got into the area of the target building. Then they would jsut crawl along as if siteseeing.

While I could have given the order to stop, that would have left me doing 100% of the dirty work.

I wish BIS could make the AI just a little more intelligent.

Skaven

« Reply #37 on: 15 Mar 2003, 21:31:07 »
Don't worry Avon Lady, I lost all my squad too, they just don't know what the word "Stealth" means  ;D .

Asmodeus, when will you release an update version mate ?

The Avon Lady

« Reply #38 on: 15 Mar 2003, 21:36:04 »
Don't worry Avon Lady, I lost all my squad too
Now I feel better. :P

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #39 on: 15 Mar 2003, 22:13:15 »
I lost all my squad too, they just don't know what the word "Stealth" means  ;D

Me three.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #40 on: 15 Mar 2003, 22:37:56 »
i lost only 2 :P (but i dont let em fight ;D - just put  em somwere nd do da fightin myself ;D)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

asmodeus

« Reply #41 on: 16 Mar 2003, 00:08:43 »
lol   8)

@ Avon Lady

Thanks a lot!   ;D

Well, I guess you got real lucky or killed almost everyone before you destroyed the comps!   8)

That's weird about the chopper, the existing prob was that it wouldn't wait for the whole squad to board before taking off.  I have no idea why it would do that to you, but I am going to completely re-do the chopper extraction so it should be much better in the next version.   ;)

Speaking of which, the next/final? version will be posted by tomorrow, barring any strange events.   ;)

Yeah, I know how you feel about the AI...  When I play I usually send at least half my squad to the edge of town to wait for me while I take care of things.  Maybe BIS is just training us to be super "rambo" type soldiers??   ::)   ;)  Or to be in a war next to a complete mental reject?   ;D

@ Skaven

Thanks for the interest!  By tomorrow I hope.   ;D  (I'm working on the chopper evac now)

@ Everyone else

Thanks!   ;D

Asmo

P.S.   The sequel is very close to beta stage also!  It'll be here when this one's finished!   ;D
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2003, 00:10:51 by Asmodeus »

The Avon Lady

« Reply #42 on: 16 Mar 2003, 10:17:43 »
That's weird about the chopper, the existing prob was that it wouldn't wait for the whole squad to board before taking off.  I have no idea why it would do that to you, but I am going to completely re-do the chopper extraction so it should be much better in the next version.
I restarted from my save location after destroying the comps.

I went down to the EZ, eliminated the enemies, called air support to take out the tank and then called in the UH60 for extraction. Once again, it hovered in place. However, I ran around the exact spot where the EZ map marker is and sure enough the UH60 touched down and I flew off into the night. :)

A comment about your outro: I found the outro's ongoing storyline very confusing. Too much going on too fast. Text messages not narrarative enough of who's involved and what's taking place. I would recommend either making it longer, more explanative and lessen the pace of the storyline text to read, or make it shorter and simpler.

asmodeus

« Reply #43 on: 16 Mar 2003, 12:15:15 »
Ahhhh!

Thnx for trying it again, so the culprit on the extraction was a waypoint eh?   ;)  (choppers can be such a pain in OFP)   ::)

No problem, I fixed that tonight.   :)   (Thanks to snYpir for his excellent quick chopper landing scripts!)

THanks for the info about the outro!  I'm glad I saw this cause I was about to post the new version!  I'll fix that up and post the new version soon!   ;D

Thanks again!

:cheers:

Asmo

asmodeus

« Reply #44 on: 16 Mar 2003, 15:23:50 »
Ok, here's the new version!!

I'm tired so I'll just get right to it.  (I feel like I've said that before)  ::)  :P

Changes/Fixes

• Gave Commander Binocs
  • Dead bodies everywhere!  (also set up temporary "morgues" where the Militia group started putting the dead bodies from the arty)  
  • Chopper evac should work perfectly now!  *crosses fingers*
  • Enemies are no longer on a leisurely walk by the forest (now they're expecting you)   ;)
  • Changed briefing a bit (most important thing to note is that it does not say a satchel charge is required for the comps now)
  • Overview pic fixed up, words changed a bit
  • Outro fixed (should be better now, thanks Avon)
  • Other stuff I'm too tired to remember right now   ;)

You can find it at the same link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jehning1/COD.zip

Thanks to all you great Beta testers!    :)

Whatever pleasure this mission will bring to others, you've had a big part in making that possible and that much better!   ;D

Asmo

P.S.  Has anyone tried shooting at the comps with an RPG from the street yet?   ::)  (I tried to make the comp area very well protected from such things, I want to make sure the player can't think of some sneaky way to take a shortcut like that.)   ;)