Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] City of the Dead (BAS D/R)  (Read 17320 times)

asmodeus

(Review Completed) [SP] City of the Dead (BAS D/R)
« on: 19 Feb 2003, 13:40:43 »
Greetings all!   ;D

*****Mission is Categorized "Asmo insta-action"*********
**(look at bottom :moon: (of the page)   ::)for explanation)**

Asmo here with a mission I made a while ago and never released officially for some reason...  (Mebbe I was waiting for the release of these Delta's...   ::))  

The reason I need it tested again is that when I added the Delta team into the mission, it made it way too easy!  These guys are tough mofo's!!  So, I had to alter the mission by removing almost all backup and a couple other things..  I need to make sure this didn't negatively affect gameplay as I got some really good responses last time on this mission.  :D  (it was quite a while ago now)   ;)

Here's the overview:

You are part of an elite Delta Team chosen to enter a Militia base on Kolgujev after we pound it with artillery.  You are to find and destroy 2 computers used for their HAWK Rocket Guidance System. Enemy presence is expected to be minimal. We expect that the computers may well be destroyed, if so, you just have to confirm it.  Good luck!

Addons Required:

OFP 1.90 (I think.. . or is it 1.85??)   ::)
BAS's Ranger/Delta Pack  (Simply the best!)
KEG Editor Update (I use this almost always!  In this mission I couldn't have made a great bombed out city without it!)

Mission includes:

Intro (I didn't know camera scripting at the time I made this, I might redo it...)   ::)
Overview
Briefing w/lots of help from LCD (tanks  ::)   ;D)
Mission w/puzzles, optional objectives, unexpected events, indoor combat, flares that provide "mood" lighting  ::), enemies around every corner and a lot more!
Outro
Custom Music featuring Prodigy and Fear Factory that can be played at any time using the radio menu during the game.
Extra Savegames  (you might just need em...)   ::)   :P
Purple jumping llamas!   ::)   :P   ;D
and much more!   8)

Ok Ok... on with it... You can get it here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jehning1/COD.zip (5.6 MB)

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available, with required addons, from the Missions Depot.

I look forward to your feedback!   ;D

Asmo

**P.S>  "Asmo Insta-action"  ie:  you don't have to run far or wait long to be shooting away.   ;)   lol   :P
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2009, 02:31:51 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
Re:City of the Dead (w/BAS's Delta/Ranger addon!)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2003, 14:07:04 »
HAWK Rocket Guidance System

:P :P :P :P

;D

I'll test this out right away. If this is as good as it was the first time, then now it'll be even better! ;D

P.S Be on the lookout for Tincan ;D

Hawki

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2003, 19:44:33 »
I'll write this as I go along .....

Intro:  the shot under the last lot of text isn't really of anything.       Nothing much else to say except I would make it shorter and have the music fade out towards the end.

First page of Briefing you refer to Everon rather than Kolgujev.

:( :( :( my decrepit computer (PII 400  384M RAM  Voodoo4) can't really cope ... which is a great disappointment.     Sorry Asmo.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2003, 19:58:48 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

asmodeus

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2003, 22:00:32 »
lol, thanks Hawk!   ;D

... Tincan??   ::)

@ Macguba

Thanks for the info!    ;D  That really sucks that it didn't work too well on your comp.  It works on mine (barely).  

I assume you know the trick of changing your settings to low for terrain detail and texture detail and such?   (it's easy to change them and can make a huge difference in gameplay on missions like this where I use almost 200 AI units)   ;)

I even set the viewdistance lower to help with that prob!   ;)

Bah!  Oh well.. Sucks you can't play it.  YOu always give such great feedback!   8)

Thnks!

Asmo

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2003, 22:21:48 »
Yeah, I turned it all down .... the fact is my machine barely copes with OFP at all.   1.46 wasn't too bad but 1.75 chews up more CPU time and it struggles a bit ... I'm sometimes tempted to go back to being a 1.46 jockey.      It gets a bit boring pausing the mission, hiking the viewdistance up, having a look across the valley, pausing the mission again and putting it back down so that you can move on.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

asmodeus

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2003, 23:10:39 »
That sux!  :(

Ok, now we need to start a "new comp" fund for Macguba and Wolf!   :o  (I'll be leaving that club soon... I Gotta upgrade!)

Asmo

Skaven

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2003, 00:02:23 »
ok Asmo I tried your mission, withouht wanting to spoil the fun for future players here goes a breif commentary  ;D

Overview:
Nice pic, pretty explanatory (fast and accurate).

Briefing:
Very, very explanatory  ;D no errors in English (for a Portuguese that is  ;D ) nice links with markers, all perfect, you shouldn't change the briefing  more, like it is,it  works and is perfect, really nothing to point or to sugest.

INTRO:
Nice music, I've already made a mission using that same song once ;D
The intro is very well done the explosions give a  nice effect and packed with the nice cameras you've choosen makes it all really beatifull, specially that kind of flash light effect is really something that I have to say gives impact and feeling to the mission, no bugs to report all worked well and no lag here.
Thanks for including BAS's name in the intro ;D I'm glad you liked them mate  ;)

MISSION:
As soon as I started the mission, it laged a bit,and my computer is fast and as 1024 DDR Memory so you should be carefull with the amount of units your using.
From the start I could say that this mission was hard, I've managed to die a couple of  times and also to have all my squad dead a lot of times.  ;D
When I managed to don't die and reached a place near  the computers I had a first bug, I got a radio message saying well done now proceed to next waypoint...,
well I didn't even see the computers, nevertheless the place was hot like s*** so I just went out of there fast.
I went to the second city, and than a waypoint appeared saying wait for the others and than some *****  ;) appeared and noting more happened, so this is possibly a second bug but I'm gonna try it again just to be sure I didn't make anything wrong,I was the only one, all my squad was dead so maybe that was the problem??? Nevertheless I have to say my gameplay was a disater, I hope to make it better next time  ;D
I will report you back with more details as soon as I figure if it was just a bad luck bug, however I think you should check the consistency of this mission.

One Sugestion for now:
Instead of having so many enemys, maybe putting a couple of soldiers inside some buildings, and than some in some selected places would make it as hard as it is, and could make you reduce some of the soldiers patroling the area, it gives a nice panic effect, but it also lags the game a bit.

asmodeus

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2003, 00:24:35 »
Skaven M8!  Thanks for the great feedback!  

I'll respond to you in more detail soon (gotta go do some stuff), but I wanted to point out one key thing (or more  ::))really quick:

Do not pay attention to the waypoints!  They are only there to make the chopper extraction work correctly!   ;)

When the computers are destroyed you'll get the message "The apple is eaten" and the objective will check off.   ;)

Once you do this, HQ approves your evac and you can then call them using radio 4 (it shows up after you destroy the comps)   ;)   ;)

I'll be back soon!    ;D

Thanks for testing it and the feedback!   ;D   ;D

Asmo
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2003, 00:27:49 by Asmodeus »

SilentEcho

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2003, 05:28:46 »
Great mission asmo.  I didn't have to much of a lag prob (but that might be due to the fact im packing pIV 2.4 with all the bling bling).  Couple of suggestions to make this great mission even greater; might think about giving the player all the BAS weapons in the gear tab, I noticed you had some other guns available to select, but no BAS m4's, so i had to kill a teammate  :( .  One other thing i would like to see is it available in COOP.  Thats about it, really superb work m8!

echo

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2003, 09:22:08 »
OK since you were so nice as to try out LoJack, and since I absolutely LOVE those damn BAS units, ;D I'm downloading it right now and will give it a major smackdown for ya.

I'll check back tommorow or so.... :)
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

asmodeus

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2003, 11:42:37 »
@ SilentEcho

Thanks a lot!   ;D  

I totally agree w/ you about the weapons selection.  I just didn't add it because I lost the readme to my Rangers pack...   :-[  Anyone have one to spare??   ;)  (don't wanna re-download it just for that)  :o

Also... I have it available in co-op!   ;D  I just have to put the BAS soldiers in there and make a couple adjustments to some other things.   ;)  (that version is without the music, and is less than 200 kb)   ;)  I'll put that version on this thread when it's ready.   :D

@ Toadlife

Thanks man!   ;D  I love the Rangers/Deltas too!  (I'm addicted to command view now..)   ::)   :P  Goggles go up.... goggles go down....  up.... down...  "Sir, get on with it."   :P

@ Skaven

Glad you liked it!  

Briefing:

Thanks!   :D  Lot's of credit goes out to LCD..  He helped me put that mass of html in a nice neat pile awhile ago!  (seems like way back in the day now)   ::)

Intro:

Thanks a lot!   :o   ;D  Guess I shouldn't re-do it then?   ;D  (good, I've got enough work to do)   :P   I might be forced to add a more "glorified" shot of some of the key explosions...    8)  (I just love loud, bright sparkly things...)   ::)  BTW, "no lag"  You're lucky!!  (I'm upgrading my comp soon tho...)   ;D

Mission

Strange that it lagged on the mission for you.  I even took out a lot of guys that were on your side because the Deltas are so tough.  

Anyway, as you noticed, this is before I learned how to work with the AI to use troops more effectively.  With what I've learned recently of troop placement and waypoint/trigger usage, I should be able to reduce the number of enemy troops by a little less than half while they still defend the same area's just as well.   ;)  (I'll work on that some more, next version will be a surprise!)   ;)

Like you said, one good side effect from how I did it is the number of random troops you run into everywhere...  Some of them just run around the city like chickens w/ their heads cut off the whole time!   :o   ;)  Makes the player kinda off-guard.   ;)

About the comps, like I said, that's weird...  Mebbe in the heat of the battle you somehow destroyed them?  (which is really strange because they're in a very fortified bunker that I can shoot with 6 rpgs or more and not even scratch the comps)   :o   ;)   ;)

I'm glad you had fun  so far and look forward to what happens next!   ;D

Thanks again everyone!    8)

Asmo

kris

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2003, 11:57:49 »
I totally agree w/ you about the weapons selection.  I just didn't add it because I lost the readme to my Rangers pack...    Anyone have one to spare??    (don't wanna re-download it just for that)

you got mail..hopefully :)

asmodeus

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2003, 12:14:36 »
Yep!  Got it!   :)

Thanks!!   ;D  (That was quick!)   8)

Huge weapon selection will be in next version.   ;D

Asmo

Skaven

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2003, 12:42:12 »
Thanks for te RE-FeedBack Asmo  ;)
Today I'll try to test your mission again,I'm going in vacation soon, so...  :-\

As for including a selection of weapons in the editor, seems like a very nice idea, I didn't have to kill a team menber cause I've managed to have them all killed very fast, so I just had to take an M4 Reflex from a dead body  ;D
But the idea of killing a team mate, runned threw my head I have to say  ;D

In this kind of missions the M4 Reflex seems to be the best option since it as a better hit dammaged value than the MP5 and it seems a little bit more stable to use in Close Combat scenarios. At least that's how we designed it for  ;D

I forgot to tell you one thing, at Bas we'll be hosting Missions from the community that use our units and vehicles,we won't host anyhitng, we'll be hosting the ones we think that will feature BAS's Standarts, I think Nagual is leading the Project not sure to be honest  :P
This mission seems to pass with distinction in all aspects so as soon as you have it 100% working it would be nice hosting it in our website.
If your interested tell me  ;)

« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2003, 12:43:29 by Skaven »

asmodeus

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2003, 13:03:56 »
 :D   ;D

Today I'll try to test your mission again,I'm going in vacation soon, so...  :-\

lol... You should say it more like this:

"I'm going on vacation soon so wooooo hoooo and screw you!!!"    ;)   ;D   :P  lol

Hope you have fun on vacation!   8)  Thanks for testing it!   ;D  (how long are you gonna be gone for?)

Yes, the M4 reflex is definately a better choice for this!   ;)  (I hadn't had enough time to check out all the weapons in detail yesterday when I was packing it up to post here)   ;)  Good advice!  Thanks!   ;)

This mission seems to pass with distinction in all aspects so as soon as you have it 100% working it would be nice hosting it in our website.
If your interested tell me   ;)

:o  Sweet!   ;D  I'd be honored.   8)  (In other words... YESSSSSS!!!!)   :P  Thanks!   ;D

I was just thinking I'm gonna hide a couple of those cool dirtbikes from your addon pack in the city... For that lone survivor that needs to get out quick and happens to find it!   ;)   ;D  (It's a well-done bike, btw)   :thumbsup:

Time for lights out now.  Ba-bye.   :-*

Asmo
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2003, 13:09:07 by Asmodeus »