Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Now this, this is a good idea...  (Read 3122 times)

Desdichado

Now this, this is a good idea...
« on: 28 Aug 2002, 09:36:17 »
Hi there...

This is a simple yet very interesting idea (at least I think so)

How bout somebody (since I don't know how), ripped a few songs from, let's say Full Metal Jacket, converted them into Ofp - resistance format and then in a little readme file told us how to make it appear under music ?

Think how cool it would be to have a couple of troops walk down a trail in vietnam (SEB Ia Trang Valley) with the music "These boots were made for walking" pumping out of the speakers, or your AirCav is inbound for a hot LZ with some good ol' Chuck Berry rock n' roll music pumping ?

Now this, this is a good idea...  ::)

Of course there would be this question about how legit this is, but could that be so harmfull ?

Best regards
Jan Fredrik Lund
Norway

Duff

Re:Now this, this is a good idea...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2002, 10:03:19 »
if the web site was up you'd be able to read how to do that for yourself. it's been done. there are a few missions out there that include songs.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2002, 10:17:22 »
And of course, this violates pretty much every known copyright law there is ;)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Phantom

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2002, 10:25:58 »
what makes you think that this is such a good idea? i think most people have thought of or have ripped songs at one time or another, and like it was said before, people have been able to put them in the music section for ages, there's a manul somewheres on the OFPEC. Why don't you just download the songs off the net instead of going through the process of getting them from the movie?

Phantom

Desdichado

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2002, 10:56:44 »
First of all, this is a good idea since it would bring a whole new aspect to the game.

Second, since Ofpec is currently down I have not been able to find this info anywhere. Nor have I heard about it beeing done. This is probably due to the fact that when I first bought OfP I put it away after only 7-8 missions of the original campaign. Didn't even bother to look at sites like this. Didn't like it when I was supposed to be a tank commander. All I wanted was to be a grunt on the ground.

Then I got Resistance, new terrain and all, nice, then I found SEB Nam Pack and SEB Ia Trang Valley, in short, SEB gave me a new game and I love it.

Third, The point is not to rip from the movie, but to rip it from my own music cd from the movie. And since I already own the cd, converting a song and using it in OfP is not against the law.

Besides that, I am sorry if this question/Idea sounds stupid to some, but we are not all "Live and Die for grunts" for OfP, therefore we do not know everything, hence the forum of Ofpec.com

Best regards
Jan Fredrik Lund
Norway

Phantom

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2002, 11:03:03 »
I think KTotte mean that it's illegal if you distribute it, which is what i think your talking about

Desdichado

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2002, 11:26:46 »
You are right, if distributed one are breaking the law, but that was not my intention. I probably said this the wrong way, what I meant was that how can it be done, in an easy way?

And if so, what programs do I need ?

This question has probably been asked before, but since the old forum is gone I have no where to look.

Best regards
Jan Fredrik Lund
Norway

CrashnBurn

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2002, 11:34:33 »

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Davies1

• Members
  • Bugger this for a game of soldiers!
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2002, 13:21:19 »
my thats nice of you crash !

and phantom, let him do his own thing....
Beer is the fuel for the Heavy Metal Engine.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2002, 13:41:46 »
I say it adds to the atmosphere of the mission, and personally I have no objections.
But it is illegal to use copyrighted material (not just music, could be sound FX, pictures or such things) in a production of your own.
So ripping the songs from a CD is still illegal, even if you own it. There are only three scenarios in which you may rip the songs:

1. You have written, express permission from the author of the material that you may use it in some way.

2. The material is copyright free. There are some music CD's like that, mainly for use as free soundtracks in movies. I know, because I own some of them.

3. You're the author of the material.

That was my point. I still say: Go for it.
Will the record company ever find out?
Not likely, no.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2002, 14:08:21 »
some additions to that...

if i ripped a moby song - and the guy who played my mission had the same cd that song came from (the same cd as i got the music from) then that is legit - that is why we can makes missions using ofp and ofp music, since everyone technically owns a paid for copy

the record company are very inlikely to find out

and try and ask - i emailed mute records to ask for permission to use one of mobys insrumentals on my mission which i had edited, shortened and changed to suit and they were quite happy for me to use it - mainly because it couldnt be ripped from my mission since it wasnt the whole track and everyone likes some advertisement - of course i had to add all the credits etc they wanted me to add to the readme.

but sefe is the lawyer - maybe ask him - but this is illegal, and of course ofpec doesnt want anything to do with illegal things (great way to get a site closed down)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2002, 14:13:28 »
Yeah, like I said written express permission.
Then it's ok.
But it's not ok in the "we both have the CD" scenario.
Legally, it doesn't matter where the ripped track ends up.
All they (lawyers, courts, record companies and so on) care about is the ripping part of the process.
You cannot rip a song from a CD without permission.
Believe me, I've been in a huge fight over copyright with my school for the past year, and I know these things by heart now.

Cedaie

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2002, 14:55:30 »
I always thought you can only get your butt whooped by copyrights if you got Payed to rip, if its just for casual stuff, it shouldn't be to bad...? I unno

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2002, 14:59:53 »
No, you'll get ass-whooped for ripping, no matter what ;)
You may make one (1) backup copy of a CD you own. Both music CD's and CD-ROM may be backup copied.
But that's as far as it goes. You can't distribute that CD.
And if you sell the original CD the backup must be destroyed. You can't let that backup tag along with the original, because that is illegal. So if the person that buys it off of you wants a backup as well he has to burn his own.
Weird, I  know. But rules are rules.

Cedaie

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2002, 15:24:14 »
and then there's that phrase "rules are made to be broken"

followed by "I work for uncle sam!"