Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Desert Storm SKYS! DO IT!  (Read 598 times)

Pandoz

Desert Storm SKYS! DO IT!
« on: 07 Feb 2003, 21:09:47 »
I do not know how many of u remember/have seen the skys during Desert storm. They always showed the skys with NightVision and u could see 1000's of tracers flying into the air...but is there a way to camcreate bullets? or is there a way to create a "bullet" object that attaches a tracer and then use setvelocity...if there is a way to do it radomly all over the sky using that 1-10 thing...it would be AWESOME!!!!

thanx

Pandoz

Pandoz

Re:Desert Storm SKYS! DO IT!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2003, 04:12:16 »
ummm...any1 can/want to do this? if u tell me how or get me started i am more than willing to do it myself

Fishion

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2003, 18:21:03 »
how to start, create a tracer (a 7_62 bullet) and set their velocity with the SetVelocity...and do alot of it, that would be my first try...

-Fishion

Pandoz

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2003, 03:39:17 »
alright thanx...i tried to do some things with flares so u could see it from a fairly far away distance...that whole thing went up in flames after i scripted about 30 of them...lots o' lag on the video card end with random flares flying up every few hundreths of a second...thanx for the suggestion ill try it.

Pandoz

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2003, 04:08:43 »
Hmmm i got the camcreate going well and the velocity works PERFECT speed wise...lots of testing and refiguring lol i hate only being 16 and not having high level math to help with any of this...anyway!

The bullets go straight down once camcreated...do i need to make them with vehiclecreate or use getdir/setdir? or is there a variable i can place in the setvelocity problem to make them go up and at an angle? thanx for any help in advance.

Fishion

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2003, 08:34:21 »
SetVelocity needs an array [x,y,z]
which are the x, y, and z Components of the speed
in other word [0,0,100] would fly streight up with a speed of 100

-Fishion

Pandoz

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2003, 21:59:26 »
thanx man...but whenever i cam create a bullet i used
.3,.3, and 1...but i thought the order for velocity was x,z,y? like it says in the comref

as the velocity settings just so they were slow enough...and i thought that those #'s would make the bullet go up and at an angle...but whenever i try any number at all it goes straight down perpindicular to the ground...can u help?
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2003, 22:03:03 by Pandoz »

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2003, 23:54:18 »
Each number in the setvelocity array represents a linear speed in metres/second. So what that means is:
  • [ 1 , 0 , 0]  -  It'll move East at 1 m/s
  • [0 , 1 , 0]  -  It'll move North at 1 m/s
  • [0 , 0 , 1]  -  It'll move up at 1 m/s
Bear in mind that bullets generally move very quickly (200-300m/s), and that gravity will effect anything you try to throw up. ;)

A coulpe of names you might find useful:
- "Bullet7_6"
- "Bullet12_7"
- "Cannon30HE"  

Those all leave a visible trail in the sky, provided to don't move them too fast.

Also bear in mind that if you add too many bullets/flares etc. you're going to get a lot of CPU slowdown (not lag. Lag is what you get due to a bad net connection... ie. Latency ;D). And those with lower end computers (such as poor people like myself) won't be able to run it.

Just some things to keep in mind... good Luck ;)

Pandoz

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2003, 01:38:36 »
thanx alot guys i think that will help me get it going...yes sui i have relised this many a time while making other high performance comp scripts...pretty crazy sometimes.

In this script though only about 50 bullets will fly at a time but they will be destroyed after flying about 100 feet and another will be created near it so it looks like continous tracers flying through the air....hopefully...thanx again for ur help guys