Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: modern USMC weapons  (Read 11771 times)

Liquid_Silence

Modern USMC weapons
« Reply #15 on: 02 Feb 2003, 16:22:47 »
"The ground board chose the M-16A4 over the M-4 because it had a lesser frequency of malfunctions," said Marine Corps officials from Headquarters Marine Corps in a prepared statement. "The initial units will be fielded to Ground Combat Elements."
"Though the number was very low for each weapon, the M-4 was found to have three times the number of weapons malfunctions as the M-16A4," the statement read. There was no significant difference in accuracy between the two rifles.

Several Marine units already use the M-4, including Force Reconnaissance platoons, Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security teams and Military Police Special Response teams. Those units will continue to use the M-4, and the Marines still may purchase more in the future after corrections are made to reduce malfunctions, said the Marine Corps statement.

PunkerSXDX

Re:modern USMC weapons
« Reply #16 on: 02 Feb 2003, 18:58:29 »
earl. make the M16a4, it's fine, I'm not argueing, I know it'll be great  :D I've never heard of an M16a4 but there are LOTS of stuff I've never heard of!

earl_laamanen

« Reply #17 on: 02 Feb 2003, 20:58:21 »
Here's the M16A4s that we'll be giving to Suchey's marines:

More to be seen at: http://www.baconbomb.com/modworks

I still have to work out the quadrant sight on the carrying handle, but otherwise it's going pretty smooth.  Poly counts are under control:

M16A4+M203 - 1323 triangles
M16A4+Reflex - 1015 triangles
M16A4+ACOG - 1406 triangles

And I have to mention that these are 'hybrid' models because they have details from both 1st person and nearest 3rd person LODs.  I'll be deleting out the non-visible portions from the 1st person models (dropping poly count by 200-300 triangles) and removed some of the itty bitty details for the nearest 3rd person models, such as the indentation of the eyepiece on the ACOG 4x.  That means all game models will be somewhat lower than these "full detail" models.

STEELE

« Reply #18 on: 02 Feb 2003, 21:21:12 »
Great work earl! about time OFP had some decent replacements for the M16. Pay no mind to the pureist's amoung us, personaly I'd prefer to use ur M16A4's instead of M4's.
These along with Suchey's Marines will be the next BIG thing so far as addons go ;D

Mr_Shady

« Reply #19 on: 02 Feb 2003, 23:21:25 »
Personally, I hate carbines like the M4, so I'm with the USMC- give me a full rifle any day! And on the topic of different organisations using different designations: USAF usually change an "M" designation weapon (eg. M4A1) to a "GAU" designation.  For example, USAF helicopters don't mount M2 machine guns, they mount GAU-16 machine guns.... which is basically the same sodding weapon. I'll never get my head around the US designations, considering they have M1 tanks, M1 rifles, M2 IFVs and M2 machine guns... I'd carry on but I'm not going to   ;)

If these guns are a fraction of the brilliance of the SR47 and SR74, they'll rock  ;D

NoRSu

« Reply #20 on: 03 Feb 2003, 00:13:02 »
Looking great, with these weapons and Suchey's Marines we can make some nice near future missions 8).

Tigershark

« Reply #21 on: 03 Feb 2003, 03:24:59 »
Earl.......I'm a great fan or your work.

It was your thread about the SR-47 that made me go out and find out about them.

VERY nice looking models....my only comment would be they look a little high poly though...what poly do they run at out of curiousity?

earl_laamanen

« Reply #22 on: 03 Feb 2003, 03:40:09 »
I'm kinda sensitive about poly counts - I've always been a proponent of low poly.  So I guess I'm a hypocrite.  :-\

But since I knew the question was coming, I already posted the triangle counts in this thread:

I still have to work out the quadrant sight on the carrying handle, but otherwise it's going pretty smooth.  Poly counts are under control:

M16A4+M203 - 1323 triangles
M16A4+Reflex - 1015 triangles
M16A4+ACOG - 1406 triangles

And I have to mention that these are 'hybrid' models because they have details from both 1st person and nearest 3rd person LODs.  I'll be deleting out the non-visible portions from the 1st person models (dropping poly count by 200-300 triangles) and removed some of the itty bitty details for the nearest 3rd person models, such as the indentation of the eyepiece on the ACOG 4x.  That means all game models will be somewhat lower than these "full detail" models.

So, it's high, but I think it's still reasonable for most people.  And I'm very careful with LODs - if your teammate is carrying one, it'll be more like 600-700 polys at regular formation distances.  I found with the SR47 I was able to drop counts really fast at short distances without losing visual quality (I think I ended up going 2m, 5m, 10m and it was already at 380 triangles for the 10-20m LOD).

I think I'm pretty good at getting the most out of a certain poly count too - I don't waste anything.

Anyway, speaking of poly limits, here's one that ended up higher than I had intended:

I can't link url's to thumbnails here, so you'll have to visit http://www.baconbomb.com/modworks

It's at 1440, but as I explained elsewhere, I got lazy with the bipod, there's probably too much detail in there, so my estimate for final FPP is about 1150-1200, and nearest TPP 1350 (2m).

This is all triangle counts in 3dsmax5, not Oxygen's stupid counter - nobody should use that, becuase as far as I know, video cards handle triangles, not squares.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2003, 03:41:33 by earl. »

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #23 on: 03 Feb 2003, 06:11:51 »
You know, I have a practical way of looking at high-poly weapons... In the case of SR-47/74's I would only arm a handfull of troops with this weapon, at most. I mean, it's a special purpose weapon for use by special operations troops in enemy territory. I don't think I've experienced any slow down using six to twelve of these in game. I'm sure you get my point.
As for the M-40, how many of these would you see in a single game? There's probably not any more than a handfull of these in an entire armory, anyway.

earl_laamanen

« Reply #24 on: 03 Feb 2003, 06:44:56 »
I'm not worried about the 3rd person models - at regular distances, the poly counts become very reasonable.  The only thing I would be worried about is the FPP getting over 1200 triangles.  I don't think that's too bad for most people, and I think most of my FPP models will be lower, like 950-1100.

The nearest TPP is probably the least rendered LOD - because you really have to get up close to see it.  At least, that's the case with my SR47.

I think it's going to be difficult to keep the M240 and M249 at a consistent level of detail without breakin' the bank.

registered_fugitiv

« Reply #25 on: 03 Feb 2003, 09:16:36 »
dude these rock that m40a3 is awesome
same with teh rest of teh guns but i like the m40 the best  ;D

STGN

« Reply #26 on: 03 Feb 2003, 12:00:22 »
Your models look great but:

This is the real M16A4 and as you can see the is some things that don't
match, your rail in the 3 and 9 o'clock posisons is to long the cover plate is also to long.
and this time make your rifle in the right size 1 meter your SR47 was over one meter long ingame.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #27 on: 03 Feb 2003, 18:49:22 »
I've got that exact same picture on my hard drive right now, and it's saved with the filename from the site: m16a2attach.jpg

Perhaps the US government is trying to confuse their enemies so they're too busy arguing over whether it's an A2, A3 or A4 to realise they've just got a 5.56mm body piercing...  ???

Eviscerator

« Reply #28 on: 03 Feb 2003, 20:24:22 »
its definately an A3/A4 as its got a flat top receiver, i think the A3/A4 are the same apart from the single/burst/auto settings

Bomberman

« Reply #29 on: 03 Feb 2003, 21:21:53 »
who really cares?! as long as it looks cool and has good textures, and ingame soon... 8)