Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Tank main Gun Shock dust  (Read 4322 times)

Fishion

Tank main Gun Shock dust
« on: 01 Feb 2003, 14:30:41 »
Well,
you guys know how the dust pop up around a artillery piece of a tank, when they fire their main gun...well
here's script for it   ;D

This is currently in Beta stadium, please take a look
and give me some feedback

-Fishion

Pandoz

Re:Tank main Gun Shock dust
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2003, 19:37:09 »
wow man thats pretty cool

Fishion

« Reply #2 on: 01 Feb 2003, 21:00:19 »
There is one thing however that I'm not totally clear on:
What happens when the tank (in Real Life) is moving?
I mean will you still be able to see that shock effect, if
yes at what speeds? Or not? Does it look different when the tank is moving?

Questions over Questions...

-Fishion

vektorboson

« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2003, 21:03:52 »
I can't answer your questions, but I can tell you, that this effect is just lovely  :)

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2003, 00:16:30 »
Whoa! Looking good Fishion! :o

How have you done the dust (particle) movement? Have you got it heavy enough so the wind picks it up?

I was thinking that while moving, if the particles were heavy enough to 'drift' off the back of the tank as it moved forward...

Having said that I've never seen a tank fire while on the move, so I haven't the faintest of what it actually looks like in real life ;)

Fishion

« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2003, 09:09:20 »
How I made the particles drift?
I defined myself a Wind, and did set the velocity of the particles accordingly...  ;D

-Fishion

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 02 Feb 2003, 12:20:21 »
Ahh... the good old velocity clause in the array ;)

Hmm... when the tank is moving the particles would have velocity relative to that of the tank. However they would also have velocity due to the recoil of the weapon... I guess you'd have to come up with a go between, incorporating the velocity of the tank and the recoil of the gun...

???

Anyone else scratching their heads? ;D

captain caffeine

« Reply #7 on: 02 Feb 2003, 17:13:45 »
LOOKS GREAT , now if you could convince addon makers to incorporate your script into thier confir cpp files ,  ;D

at least for big guns and larger style rocketlaunchers such as the  ADATS , MLRS , fieldguns and Self propelled Artillery

Fishion

« Reply #8 on: 02 Feb 2003, 19:29:03 »
now if you could convince addon makers to incorporate your script into thier confir cpp files

I hope they won't do this for 2 reasons:
1) this can create quite a bit of CPU Usage (there 500 droplets being spawned)
2) It is also color dependend, see if you place the units
in the Grassland, it all looks different.

It is however important to incorporate this into missions

In the end incorporating them into the CPP files would
give quite alot of flexibility we have at the moment away.
What should I do if I need the addon, but not the Dust effects for whatever reason? Only way is to pick the addon apart, and remove the dust effect, distributing a new addon.

-plead on-
Now if anybody wants to incorprate this into a CPP file,
please read a global variable (which can be set in the Init.sqs) so you can turn the "special effects" off
-plead off-

Back on topic:
does anybody know where to find movies/videos on the
net of tank fireing during movement?

Also in the working, a backblast script for LAW launchers
 ;D

-Fishion
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2003, 19:30:50 by Fishion »

vektorboson

« Reply #9 on: 02 Feb 2003, 20:18:07 »
Hi,

in my latest heli dust script (that was not published) I use the variable

CFG_ADDON_DUST

to determine whether the dust effects should be used or not. I agree that addon users should make this effects optional

@Fishion
Regarding the backblast script, you'll get a mail, perhaps you wanna use it as a draft.  ;)

Fishion

« Reply #10 on: 03 Feb 2003, 20:27:39 »
I've also included now a Level Of Detail
(i.e. you see less dust at a distance of 300 then 600 and nothing over 900. It still looks good, but uses much less droplets)

also changed the accesability of all variables that I need
to public with:
CFG_Addon_Tank_Shock_Dust_xxx
(well see readme soon)

I guess I'm gonna remove the Beta stade real soon.
I'm thinking also about this:
I saw on TV a docu on tanks, and on some shots you saw the shell in a low trajectory trailing a air-shock-wave which also produced some dust (though only on very loose underground)...though I'm having technical problems in realising this (($"%&$/ nearesobject command)

-Fishion

Pandoz

« Reply #11 on: 06 Feb 2003, 21:51:37 »
hmm on the LAW and other recoilless weapons...are u going to have a blastback damage feature on that also? that was always a big question for people that wanted that before...but if u did that AND dust that would be pretty awesome.

Fishion

« Reply #12 on: 08 Feb 2003, 12:03:35 »
yes, smoke, damaged when someone stands behind the guy that fired the law, and when you are in a closed room (or a wall behind you) you are also to bite the dust... that's about everything I could think of to add there, though currently it is on hold...

-Fishion

noodle

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2003, 17:35:32 »
Howdy
Real nice touch this is! Great job! ;D  Have a question on a prob I have though? I tried putting this into a MP mission. When editing and previewing as user mission everything works fine. But when I then export the mission to MP from within the editor and then try it- I get a error box that says "script /circle.sqf not found" right at start- I hit ok and move on in mission. I then get into a tank. When I fire the tank- the dust from in-front of the tank kicks up- but not the dust that is around the tank. I then de-pbo'd the mission and the script is in the effects folder? Any ideas what I may be doing wrong here? Thanks for any help.
 ???
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2003, 17:39:23 by noodle »

Fishion

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2003, 21:25:08 »
Actually I don't really know, I've never tested the script in MP nor do I have the capabilities to do so.
To me it seems the problem is something that has to do with the Functions (duh!).
Has anybody who happens to look in, any experience with Function in Multiplayer?
Snipyr? Anybody?

-Fishion

NuclearSnake

How to make shock_dust to work in MPmissions online
« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2003, 20:17:17 »
 :D I. think i found the solution... I managed to call the SQF and SQS from the misison folder directly, I didn't put it in a effects folder. It works in preview and it works with launch from pbo file. All is needed is to test  if the other players online will see the dust.
As it was before either we saw no dust anyone, or we saw only the front dust if I launched by preview mode(as if Circle.sqf wasn't read ?!?)........ So here attached is the new DUST SHOCK as I see it COULD work in MPmisions. I ONLY changed the INIT line to read the sqf in misison folder direclty,  :P

and so you must call the AddEventHandler as follow :this addEventHandler["fired",{(_this + ["Gun120"]) exec "shock_dust.sqs"}]        ;)

(instead of \effects\shock_dust.sqs")

Using a EFFECTS folder seems to bug the pbo compression or not get accounted for, get attached file and look, I also manually added the grass color dust to be more dense (not as much as sand), SO IF I COME BACK TO YOU IN 24H OR LESS TO TELL IT WORKED WELL FOR ALL ONLINE, YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE IT V1,1 AND USE IT LIKE I CHANGED IT. This way it won't work only for preview mode or SP play.  ;D
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2003, 20:21:27 by NuclearSnake »