Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: To anyone making new sniper rifles  (Read 1242 times)

Aculaud

To anyone making new sniper rifles
« on: 09 Feb 2003, 04:21:29 »
I discovered something about the M21. It seems, on some longer range shots, that the round will curve to one side, often very badly. This happens when shooting from large hills at extended ranges, usually anywhere from 500-700 meters out. I also tried the shots with third-party rifles that were made with the M21's config.cpp file and got the same results.

However, i tried the same shots with the Dravunov, and had no problem.

So, to anyone planning on making new sniper rifles for OFP, please use the Dragunovs config.cpp file, or something based on it. Iv found it to be much more accurate overall.

This has been a nightly nitpick from Aculaud. Thank you and good night.

Josef

Re:To anyone making new sniper rifles
« Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2003, 14:42:47 »
The M21 is calibrated for that effect, when yer zooom in yer get a miscalculated aim...

The SVD is fixed....

Aculaud

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2003, 02:08:39 »
No, thats not it, cause iv also tried 1000 meter shots on level ground and the shot was right in the center.

Theres just something about shooting from a large hill at ranges anywhere from about 450-700 meters that makes the shot go to the side. Try some shots like that; you may see what i'm talking about.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2003, 05:00:01 »
was the hillside you were on exactly perpendicular to the target, or was it facing in a direction slightly left or right of perpendicular? Were you lying prone exactly level with the horizon, or because of the slope to your left or right, were you slightly rolled a degree or two to the left or right? If the latter is the case, then perhaps it's an engine peculiarity. What if gravity is not modeled in the game? What if the game simulates gravity by deviating the bullet's path in the direction of 6 o'clock, or "down" towards the ground. I guess the theory could be tested if you could roll to the left or right, and fire down-range while on your back. If you could fire from on your back, and my theory is correct, your shot would curve upwards into the sky. Maybe this is why your shot seems to slightly curve left or right, when shooting on a hillside, but is straight when shooting prone from level ground?

Aculaud

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2003, 18:34:46 »
Well, part of your theory holds true, because, as i said, iv done 1000 meter shots on flat ground, level with the target, and the shot was right in the middle of the scope, while of course having to aim up to compensate.

But the hills iv shot from where the shot curves were pretty cockeyed at times, and the direction was not exactly perpendicular to the target. But, i did also try the same shots with the dragunov and it was just fine. So...i'm pretty sure its the M21.

Aus

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2003, 14:17:06 »
Check out the ADF mod site as they have a new download
http://adfmod.opflash.org/files.htm
ADF Sniper Rifles Pack
Version: 1.10
 OFP Version: v1.75 and above (May work on v1.46)
 Description: The sniper rifle pack includes sniper rifles used by the ADF such as the SR-98 and AW-50.
 Updates: Updated to v1.10. More sniper rifles.