Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Bigger group  (Read 2609 times)

GeneralCoder

Bigger group
« on: 30 Jan 2003, 14:06:54 »
Hi I made this script wich makes one group follow and act like another group. So u basicly have bigger group than 12 men!

Usage:
[this,player,180,50] exec"group.sqs"
this units group follows players group from 180 degree (behind) from distance 50

U can also give the groups some orders from radio menu.
Like attack and defend commands.

download below, its zip file.

So do u like it?
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2003, 21:20:18 by GeneralCoder »

walker

Re:Bigger group
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2003, 20:04:16 »

GeneralCoder

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2003, 10:22:57 »
Hi

Ahum

Look here
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/CoC.php

Oh right, well I havent test that, but I think this is difrend.
U see the soldiers will just simbly follow u and u dont have to give them move coords to the map.

Its like bigger group, not groups commanding. Though u have to give them some orders from the radio.

walker

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2003, 17:54:01 »
Hi GeneralCoder

I am not knocking your work ;)

Being a member of the CoC Mod I know just how hard you worked to get that script going.

The Command Engine uses a similar system for organising formations of teams / platoons. So you can have up to five sections in formation with the lead group of each section. The players section may be one of those leader sections if the mission designer so chooses.

If you are interested in this area we would welcome your input and the developers of the CoC are always looking for fresh ideas on how to make a dynamic strategic game out of OFP.

You may find a chat with some of the developers helpful and we have several technology demonstrations of ideas for where to go with OFP.

Kind Regards walker
For The Chain of Command
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2003, 18:33:05 by walker »

Offline uiox

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 01 Feb 2003, 09:57:28 »
Salut,

Good work and very good idea.
You can go further with your script, you can build a section:

GroupReco.sqs
GroupFire.sqs
GroupSupportFire.sqs
GroupSupport.sqs

For company level if formation and a little IA is implement, you use the same method with only 3 more scripts, moveCompany, directionCompany, Areacompany...

GeneralCoder

« Reply #5 on: 01 Feb 2003, 11:46:31 »
Hi GeneralCoder

I am not knocking your work ;)

Being a member of the CoC Mod I know just how hard you worked to get that script going.

The Command Engine uses a similar system for organising formations of teams / platoons. So you can have up to five sections in formation with the lead group of each section. The players section may be one of those leader sections if the mission designer so chooses.

If you are interested in this area we would welcome your input and the developers of the CoC are always looking for fresh ideas on how to make a dynamic strategic game out of OFP.

You may find a chat with some of the developers helpful and we have several technology demonstrations of ideas for where to go with OFP.

Kind Regards walker
For The Chain of Command

I tryed the Coc, and its really cool. But not my style.

GeneralCoder

« Reply #6 on: 01 Feb 2003, 11:53:39 »
Salut,

Good work and very good idea.
You can go further with your script, you can build a section:

GroupReco.sqs
GroupFire.sqs
GroupSupportFire.sqs
GroupSupport.sqs

For company level if formation and a little IA is implement, you use the same method with only 3 more scripts, moveCompany, directionCompany, Areacompany...

Im not sure howto continue from here becose I dont like clicking the map and sending troops like that, or using dialogs. I think it makes ur ofp playing too much leading and therofore u dont have time to shoot ur self when u are just giving orders to ur soldiers.
Currently theres is few radio commands what can be fastly used.

But yeat u cannot give the soldiers real engage hold fire or anything like that orders. But I may have solution for that.
I planned that leader should have assistant leader wich would take out all thoes orders. Well im not goin to explain my self anymore u shall see.

Offline uiox

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2003, 12:46:07 »
Im not sure howto continue from here becose I dont like clicking the map and sending troops like that, or using dialogs

You don't need click or dialog with your method. You need to predefine a battle plan, after just like in real life, leader gives his own orders...
If you are a captain and if you want take a town with your company you don't give orders to soldiers, sergeants, but to your 4 leutnants, so only a posmove...
For ambushes you don't need a company.

Imagine you group script and Toad's guard script relates , you begin to have something very strange.
I have done a very complex multi-squad engine, it is possible with a section, but with a company you are always on the map. It's not OFP.
So I think your way is the way for manage up 40 units.

I'm sure of this...

GeneralCoder

« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2003, 21:31:10 »
You don't need click or dialog with your method. You need to predefine a battle plan, after just like in real life, leader gives his own orders...
If you are a captain and if you want take a town with your company you don't give orders to soldiers, sergeants, but to your 4 leutnants, so only a posmove...
For ambushes you don't need a company.

Imagine you group script and Toad's guard script relates , you begin to have something very strange.
I have done a very complex multi-squad engine, it is possible with a section, but with a company you are always on the map. It's not OFP.
So I think your way is the way for manage up 40 units.

I'm sure of this...

Ok I belive u, its just that I watched that one movie what was filmed difrend way than the others. Let me explain: In army movies the film is based to one group but in that other movie it was division (or what ever its called) what consisted from 4xgroup (or more..) of mens. So my point is that whit this script u are not a original squad leader u are batlegroup leader and u give the orders to squad leaders, and they carry on the commands to soldiers. So there isnt pre defined batle plan.

Anyway  ;D I totally rebuild the commad system now u have these options in 0-0-0 radio menu:

hold/open fire
engage/disengage
stop
report status
return to formation
advance
stay back
inc follow distance
dec -||-

Note that u have to re-enter the menu becose first 0-0-0 is just opens it. Please tell me if u now how keep the menu open?

I think its about ready, what do u think about it now?
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2003, 21:34:53 by GeneralCoder »

Fox2

« Reply #9 on: 04 Feb 2003, 00:26:28 »
Hrm...Doesn't seem to be an attachment on that one, GeneralCoder.

Anyhow, I really like the idea here. The CoC engine is great, but IMHO, not too intuitive or user-friendly. CoC is very detailed and precise, allowing you to set up a battle plan, then execute it just like real life. But most of the time in real life, you can't give detailed orders to your suboordinates. You give rather vague, ambiguous orders such as, "I want your platoon to take the left flank. Remember to stock up on LAWs." With methods such as the Command Engine, if you want to hand out LAWs to a certain platoon or squad, you have to do a bit of micro-management. And if you want them to flank left, you have to know exactly where you want them to flank.

Now, that's all and good for the armchair commander, but for those weekend warriors that just want to get into the game and lead a company into battle, with themselves as the spearhead, there's not much to cater to that. That's why I think that this is a grand idea.

Anyway, GeneralCoder, why don't you drop by the OFPEC chat room sometime. I'd be happy to test what you produce or offer suggestions.

GeneralCoder

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2003, 13:34:30 »
Hrm...Doesn't seem to be an attachment on that one, GeneralCoder.

Anyhow, I really like the idea here. The CoC engine is great, but IMHO, not too intuitive or user-friendly. CoC is very detailed and precise, allowing you to set up a battle plan, then execute it just like real life. But most of the time in real life, you can't give detailed orders to your suboordinates. You give rather vague, ambiguous orders such as, "I want your platoon to take the left flank. Remember to stock up on LAWs." With methods such as the Command Engine, if you want to hand out LAWs to a certain platoon or squad, you have to do a bit of micro-management. And if you want them to flank left, you have to know exactly where you want them to flank.

Now, that's all and good for the armchair commander, but for those weekend warriors that just want to get into the game and lead a company into battle, with themselves as the spearhead, there's not much to cater to that. That's why I think that this is a grand idea.

Anyway, GeneralCoder, why don't you drop by the OFPEC chat room sometime. I'd be happy to test what you produce or offer suggestions.

The attachment isnt where? Im not sure anymore is that attach in my first post latest. but thats the only one, what is suposed to be.

Anyhow I had totally forgot this script but now I have few new ideas wich im goin to do some time later. And I read your suggestions too.
So later.