Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Max number of AI in MP mission  (Read 1206 times)

Offline uiox

• Contributing Member
Max number of AI in MP mission
« on: 15 Jan 2003, 20:32:55 »
Before be unplayable.

I'm working on a multi-squad MP mission. Scripting is finish. Now I want design a mission with a West company against a East company. Players are 10 (1 captain and 4 platoon officers in each camp) but AI are.... 250.

Question : I dream or not?

Offline Ranger

• Members
  • Hoo-ah!
Re:Max number of AI in MP mission
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2003, 21:33:42 »
There's no definitive answer to your question.  The point at which the game becomes unplayable due to too many AI units depends primarily on the CPU and RAM of your PC, as well as the PC of every client.  You'll just have to design the mission based on the computers that you know will be playing your mission, assuming that you plan to play this with your friends.
Ranger

Offline uiox

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2003, 23:28:02 »
OK, design it and make test.

Thx again Ranger
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2003, 20:36:20 by uiox »

Offline KeyCat

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:21:20 »
One solution I'm using in a co-op mission I'm working on is to use the createUnit command to dynamicly create enemy units. That helps alot to keep the mission lean and playable over Internet.

See the other post by Ranger on a good explanation on how to use this command.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

- The journey is the reward!

RedLion

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2003, 20:53:31 »
Hi Uiox!

I play OFP on a p4 2.0 Gig with 640mb of RD ram. I can give it a try with my friend over a LAN connection in my house.
We can certainly create a mission or story for your mod if you would like.

Best regards,  :)
RedLIon

Offline benreeper

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2003, 07:43:36 »
Hey uiox I'll let you know.  I play on a home LAN with 6 clients and a 900mhz server.  I've had that many with only one side scripted (coop) with minimal chop.  Next I'll try it with both sides scripted (versus).

I think that in the future, when the slowest pc is at least a 1.5mhz with 512 ram and the server is 2.5 mhz, the only that will hurt the MP is the network itself.  If it can run fine on a LAN that would be good for this engine.  Hey no other game has this many units fighting at once, not even rts's (with the exception of the great TA).

Ben
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2003, 07:46:54 by benreeper »