Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: BM-21  (Read 11629 times)

ZIKAN

BM-21
« on: 26 Aug 2002, 14:40:42 »
I think  that a BM-21 would be a good addition to the East side if it could be made.
Its based on a Ural 375d chassis and has 4 rows of 10 rocket tubes mounted on the rear of the vehicle set at about a 45 degree angle. It uses short and long range rockets (11000/20300) The reload time is around 10 minutes, but the devastation it can reap is considerable!  ;D

Robbo

Re:BM-21
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2002, 15:11:41 »
I think the iraqies used them in the gulf war as well.
And its something that the russians can use to balance itself out against the west. Someone please make this, I'd love to see this in game ;D
Robbo

OCOM_LMLVLM

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2002, 02:56:44 »
yah, the Grad BM21   :o would be great !!!

LimeCordial

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2002, 16:48:04 »
yes please! we definetley need more soviet units.........people making too many for the west! that would be such a great addition for the game. and the ural was in the demo.....wasn't it?  :) :D ???

Skaven

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2002, 16:54:04 »
I see no reason for this not being made, eventually someone will make it, the question is how are we gonna make the Rockets hit the target at such a long distance, I think the cpp file will be harder than the model itself  ???

Eviscerator

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2002, 18:38:31 »
you could make it so you can target but the missile is only slightly manouverable, so over long ranges it would still hit, you would need some kind of a scout though

Capt.Volkov

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2002, 18:54:57 »
in the screenshots at dkm, they started to work on it, but as i know them, it won't be ready before a long time

Eviscerator

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2002, 19:01:53 »
well im working on some other russian stuff with skaven, i could do this if he feels like an easy addon...

LimeCordial

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2002, 19:57:39 »
easy AND useful!  ;D

Eviscerator

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2002, 22:44:08 »
ive started work on this, ive already edited the ural chassis to remove the cargo area and fixed some missing faces, i just need to make the missile launcher and get it textured now :)

ZIKAN

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2002, 01:12:19 »
Thanks for having a go Eviscerator can you please post some screen shots of anything you come up with regarding a BM-21.

As i understand it they park the vehicle up so its pointing in the right direction then set the elevation etc then load in the appropriate rocket to reach the target, the same principles of using artillery. Its a very basic machine nothing at all like a MLRS. If you could set the rockets to fire at a set distance of so many grid squares on a OFP map. That should be all you need  for targeting, you could then work out by looking on the map where your location is and the target is then postion yourself accordingly. Its an area weapon not a direct hit one. If the rockets are out of range then you have to drive closer to the target, point it in the right direction, then fire.
Anyone else got  ideas how this might work in the game?

Capt.Volkov

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2002, 04:19:32 »
could be set to fire like grenades (with really long range), with spotters to adjust the shots

and eviscerator, you did a really great job with those ka-50 :)
finally it's no more: a day in an abrams, it's more like: a doomsday in an abrams  ;D

Eviscerator

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2002, 05:00:25 »
the problem with that method is you have no way of determing whether youve hit the target or not, on the ofp maps range is a very hard thing to determine, the grid squares arent a usable distance, i think they are somewhere in the 1200m range for the big ones, im going to code it like a very slightly guided mlrs, and also another thing im going to have to sacrifice is the way its aimed, by the pictures it looks like the elevation is configured from the back end of the truck, if i put the gunner there the driver will be able to move with the man standing at the back, so the gunner will sit in the cab and aim from there

Eviscerator

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2002, 06:11:22 »

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2002, 06:13:03 by Eviscerator »

Eviscerator

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2002, 06:16:46 »
ah damnit...ive just remembered vehicles with wheels cant fire missiles/rockets...i can either do this two ways, i can made it fire like bullets or make it so the wheels dont move left/right when turning, the second one would be best for the rockets as it would look a lot better as i can ripple the firing...