Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.3 Final  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
(Review Completed) [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.3 Final
« on: 16 Sep 2023, 22:34:17 »
'Ello everyone! It's been a while but I've finally got a mission ready for release. It's only been 11 years but who's counting  ;)

Version: 1.3 Final
Type : Single Player
Island: Sefrou-Ramal
Time of Day: Night/Early Dawn
Weather: Moderate fog, dry

DLC Required: Western Sahara (other DLCs will give you access to other weapons etc, like Marksmen).

*NOTE: This mission has NOT been tested with AI enhancing mods. These mods could cause unwanted behaviour. Use mods at your own risk.

Download: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3036685614

Description: SAS Team Sabre are tasked with destroying key enemy assets at the airfield in Sefrou-Ramal province, Argana.

This mission was designed to blend Arma 3 with stealth elements from games such as Splinter Cell. The result is an immersive, atmospheric and tension-filled mission that requires patience and attention to detail.

Features:

- Choice of infiltration method
- 30 minutes of custom soundtrack
- Around 1 hour of gameplay
- Random Objectives and placement
- Random quantities of enemy patrols
- Random placement of enemy patrols
- Ability to shut down power and remove base lighting to give the player a slight advantage
- Fully voiced cinematics
- Improved AI detection and behaviour, including but not limited to:
   - Dead Body Detection
   - Checking for suspicious activity, such as opening of doors, shots being fired
   - Ability to shoot flares when alerted to player's presence
   - AI conversations when player is close

Changelog:

V1.1

- Reduction in AI dialogue volume
- Adjustment to flares script; the flares were appearing too soon
- Beta testers added
- Bug with satchel charges fixed
- Extra information added to briefing and tasks for clarity
- Minor visual hotfixes in outro

V1.15

- Slight rewording in briefing
- Addition of hints for drone usage
- No longer possible to shoot friendlies in the FOB without punishment (sorry Inlesco  :D )

V1.15 Hotfixes

- Civilian truck now locked
- Campbell is no longer immune to damage
- All choppers are now locked
- Campbell cannot be dragged on the floor
- Player's stamina increased slightly
- Ambient radio messages from air support are now conditional on whether there are enemy vehicles still intact at the airfield

V1.2 Beta

- Addition of a selection of satellite images accessible via the action menu in-game to provide a little extra intel for the mission

V1.2 Beta (Hotfixes)

- Minor corrections to player addactions (addactions were accidentally being duplicated or not being removed)
- Minor fix to briefing (missing word)

V1.3 Final

- Generator shutoff mechanic simplified and fixed...shouldn't trigger the alarm when used
- There are now consequences for shooting out lights in the base. If enemies are close to any lamps being shot at, they
   will respond and the alarm be raised. This was a better alternative than simply making lights indestructible.
- The briefing detail concerning enemy night vision equipment has been clarified
- Detonation range corrected from 600m to 300m in briefing
- Claymore, AT Mines, APERS Mines, APERS Bounding Mines, Tripwire Mines and SLAM Mines added to 'FIRED' exception
  list; allowing player to place these without the alarm being triggered upon placement
- Nearly all empty vehicles have been locked for player use
- Enemy patrolling MARID waypoints synced to prevent queuing
- Minor adjustments briefing concerning friendly attacks on the airfield
- Updates to BETA testers
- Minor adjustments to intro cinematic for better timings and fadeouts
- Task location for the 'Destroy AA' task has been fixed (by using modules rather than scripting commands)
- Adjustment to one enemy patrol group location. The group was previously patrolling along a dirt path and
  occcasionally would get run over by an APC; triggering the body detection and subsequently the alarm. The group has
  been moved away from the road to prevent this from happening.
- Slight increase to patrol count outside the airfield
- Leaders of enemy patrol groups outside the airfield have been given night vision goggles to increase threat and
  difficulty. Testing by myself has not resulted in a huge surge in difficulty, but this can be amended if others find it too
  punishing
- Addition of tower sentry in Al Mahbes village
- Addition of additional patrol group between Al Mahbes village and airfield.

v1.3 (Hotfixes)

- Generator shutoff action should no longer appear during the shutoff animation
- AI animations restored (they were accidentally removed when I saved the mission without 3DEN Enhanced)
- Minor adjustments to FOB buildings to ensure all are locked

Known Bugs:
- For some reason, when save games are loaded an error message may pop up stating that an image is missing from the mission. The image in question is in the mission folder in the directory that the game says it's not. Not sure how this can be fixed. It doesn't affect gameplay though.
- Animations in cinematics exhibit occasional freezing (not sure how or why this happens); not serious but could damage immersion
- FPS drops during parts of the mission (this is discussed below, hopefully what you experience won't be anywhere near as bad as what I've had)

Author's Notes

So as I mentioned this is the first mission that I've managed to get into a releasable state. A lot of blood, sweat and tears has gone into the mission and it's in a state that I'm fairly proud of. Whilst I have been very thorough in my own testing (I'm extremely pedantic), it is possible that there are bugs that I've missed. This mission has been play tested close to 50 times and I haven't come across anything gamebreaking; the mission is very simple in its structure. Though that's not to say that there is no complexity.

Unfortunately during the course of developing this mission I've run into many performance issues and sadly some persist in this build. This mission isn't particularly big but you may experience FPS drops at points, particularly later in the mission when the bullets start flying. There isn't much I can advise here other than possibly reducing your graphics settings should you need to. This is something I've had to do as my PC is no longer the cutting edge machine it once was (it's 6 years old and needs updating).

It's for the above reasons that I'm tentative about adding more content to the mission as it will only exacerbate the performance issues. The mission has been trimmed back multiple times to try to improve performance. Hopefully you guys won't have the same issues I've had in playing.

Despite all this however, I do think the mission is an enjoyable experience and worth playing. I don't make missions for myself, but rather for other people to play. So hopefully you'll like it.

In terms of strategy, I won't give too much away at this time. However, what I will say is make sure you read the briefing, have patience, be careful with your movement and avoid light sources. That is of course assuming that you'll take the stealthy approach  ;) . Dead bodies can be dragged using the action menu in order to hide them from view.

Credits:
- Dead Body detection by The Futurist
- Jukebox script by Celery
- Animation recording functions by HLF
- Drag body script by H8ermaker
- Music score by Alexandre Desplat, Lorne Balfe, Avery Alexander and Scott Buckley

I hope you enjoy what I've put together!

Regards,
Gruntage

« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2023, 20:08:03 by Gruntage »
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline Inlesco

• Members
Re: [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.0 Alpha
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2023, 07:22:42 »
Congratulations on the release, Gruntage! Will be testing this out in the upcoming week!

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2023, 11:23:06 »
I'm in too! Looking forward to play it.

Edit:
Jukebox script by Celery
A classic. Simple and effective! :clap:
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2023, 19:39:21 by Undeceived »
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2023, 10:47:44 »
Ok, I tested it yesterday night. As written in the SW, it's a great mission!  :good:

Some smaller things I noticed:

The voices (soldiers and the officers at the meeting) are too loud. I thought they were just next to me but they were still about 50 or more meters away. I guess that a realistic volume would be too low, but you could tune it down a bit anyway.

The flares came to fast, IMO. Maybe a randomization would be an idea. 5 to 30 seconds or so.

At the end of the outro sequence, where the group is standing at the chopper, they all have the same face.

Another thing in the ending cutscene: There were no beta testers listed. Only "Beta testing by:"

A small suggestion for the briefing: Add a small line that you start as lone wolf. This wasn't clear until I read that unit 2 can join you. It could be that there is such a line, if yes, then put it more to the start of the briefing.

This might be an AI or Arma thing but: When putting big satchel charges (I used them for one the choppers) the alarm is raised, even without LOS. The smaller explosive charges worked well. Perhaps you could remove the satchels as finding this out, took me a while.

Other than that the mission seems to be solid, didn't find any bugs or showstoppers.

Ah, I started with the civilian insertion.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2023, 10:58:36 »
Hi man, thanks very much for the feedback!

The voices (soldiers and the officers at the meeting) are too loud. I thought they were just next to me but they were still about 50 or more meters away. I guess that a realistic volume would be too low, but you could tune it down a bit anyway.

Yep, will tune the volume down a bit
FIXED

The flares came to fast, IMO. Maybe a randomization would be an idea. 5 to 30 seconds or so.

Good point; will increase the time FIXED

At the end of the outro sequence, where the group is standing at the chopper, they all have the same face.

Haha! I hadn't noticed that. Will change FIXED

Another thing in the ending cutscene: There were no beta testers listed. Only "Beta testing by:"

Yeah this was intentionally done until I had names to add. Now I do  :D FIXED

A small suggestion for the briefing: Add a small line that you start as lone wolf. This wasn't clear until I read that unit 2 can join you. It could be that there is such a line, if yes, then put it more to the start of the briefing.

I think there might be some text explaining that already somewhere but I'll make it more prominent if so. FIXED

This might be an AI or Arma thing but: When putting big satchel charges (I used them for one the choppers) the alarm is raised, even without LOS. The smaller explosive charges worked well. Perhaps you could remove the satchels as finding this out, took me a while.

I hadn't noticed that while testing but it sounds like an Arma thing unfortunately. I'll remove the satchels as they're not needed; explosive charges do fine. I tend to use the drone to deal with the optional objectives personally. FIXED

Once again, thanks very much for your feedback. I was worried there would be a showstopper I'd missed  :D

Thanks,
Gruntage

EDIT: Actually, I just realised what the issue with the satchel charges might be. I have a script that checks whether what weapon the player 'shoots' with to see if it's unsuppressed or not (the alarm sounds if not), and I have a line that allows the usage of explosive charges but not satchels. Placed explosives are classed as 'fired' weapons in eventhandlers. That's a mistake on my part and easily fixed. Sorry about that. Oops  :-[
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2023, 19:48:35 by Gruntage »
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2023, 11:17:34 »
On your edit: That's great! I went with the satchels at first because they are more powerful. As I didn't sabotage the electricity I didn't dare to sneak closer to the second chopper (where the two guards look at). So I took the more powerful satchels to destroy it from more distance. If you'd fix this then it would enhance the quality of the mission because you have more possibilities to solve a problem (if the satchels can destroy it from some meters away, of course).

Ah, forgot one thing: What is it with the drone? Did I oversee it in the briefing? When does it come into play?
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2023, 11:19:35 by Undeceived »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2023, 11:25:00 »
Yeah adding a line to 'exclude' satchels from the unsuppressed weapon script should be easily done.

As for the drone, it comes in when the AA has been destroyed. There's a radio line that says 'there's a drone on standby to use at your discretion, Sabre'. You can use the drone to quickly destroy enemy vehicles and the other objectives, including the guys at the tower. You have to make sure you switch on the laser first or the missiles won't work. The drone was added to basically be a reward or payoff for the player having done his job.

I'm not sure if I've included a line in the briefing about the drone but I can add it in if not.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2023, 13:21:07 »
Ok, got it. However I'm still unsure about this part / feature. At least from my playthrough I got the impression that when the AA is destroyed then the mission is basically over. That the player has to try to complete all secondary objectives before the big boom (due to the alarm, combat mode of the soldiers, etc.). Could be that I misunderstood something here, but obviously with such a plan in mind it doesn't make sense to offer the UAV when the only thing left is to exfil. I didn't think that I could be able to complete secondary goals after the alarm raises, the idea to use the drone for the officers hasn't cross my mind.

This probably leads to the question how I did it with the officers. :D It really took me a while. My first plan was to storm the meeting which resulted in alarm. Then I climbed on another building to take them out from the distance. The alarm was raised after that too though, so I wanted to combine this with blowing up the AA, commanding the other team members to do the same and to get out of there somehow. I had to trigger the bombs anyway because the choppers would lift off as well. So the only way I saw was to complete the mission and break through somehow.
Turned out that getting out of there alive (I was not far the air control tower when the shit hit the fan) didn't quite work or would be hard as hell but eventually I sniped all five guys on the tower in such a perfection and speed that the alarm wasn't raised. :) This enabled me to get out of there first and find a good spot outside the base to watch the fireworks unharmed.

This is how I played it. And as I said, after that of course the UAV didn't make sense anymore.

What if you offered the UAV right at mission start already? I know, the AA is a problem, but maybe the drone is so high tech that the AA can't detect it from the distance? I don't know.

The alternative could be to make it more clear in the briefing that the secondary objectives can also be completed after the AA is taken out. However it's illogical to expect that these highly ranked officers would just stay put as sitting ducks in the tower when there are explosions all around them. They'd probably hide somewhere else in the building (which makes the UAV useless unless you have a hell of a bomb that flattens the whole building (which however would make the airport useless for the allied forces, big collateral damage)). Or they'd haul ass in these fancy cars of theirs. Maybe you could even use the drone to intercept them on their escape route (with the option of failure if of they make it away from the region).  :)
Here of course there could be a new problem: Why wouldn't the choppers and planes shoot the crap out of the cars (which would make the UAV unneeded)? Well the answer could be that they're too busy with the tanks that are still a thread to the planes. This way there could be the need for the drone operator to get the job done.

A small thought on my briefing related suggestions: It could of course be that the things that I missed in the briefing could already be there. In that case sorry. :) Maybe this helps anyway to optimize it even more a little bit, as you have to do everything from the perspective of the DPP (dumbest possible player). :⁠-⁠P

Edit: Guess it's called BDU in proper English... :D
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2023, 14:36:02 by Undeceived »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2023, 13:44:26 »
Ok, got it. However I'm still unsure about this part / feature. At least from my playthrough I got the impression that when the AA is destroyed then the mission is basically over. That the player has to try to complete all secondary objectives before the big boom (due to the alarm, combat mode of the soldiers, etc.). Could be that I misunderstood something here, but obviously with such a plan in mind it doesn't make sense to offer the UAV when the only thing left is to exfil. I didn't think that I could be able to complete secondary goals after the alarm raises, the idea to use the drone for the officers hasn't cross my mind.

I mean, I'm not opposed to removing the drone from the mission since it's not an integral part of it. It never struck me as an aspect that didn't make sense. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here. It always seemed like a neat tool for the player to use when the AA was destroyed in order to do more damage, rather than opting for the stealth approach the whole time. During development, I think I asked myself why wouldn't a drone be part of the mission once the AA was destroyed, and I couldn't see a reason why there wouldn't be. It seemed like the kind of thing that people would ask for during testing, and honestly, I couldn't think of a good argument for why a drone couldn't appear when the 'skies are clear', so to speak. But maybe that's because I haven't thought about it enough.

I'll think I'll wait on what other people think about it before removing it. But as I said, it's not a big deal for it to be removed.

This probably leads to the question how I did it with the officers. :D It really took me a while. My first plan was to storm the meeting which resulted in alarm. Then I climbed on another building to take them out from the distance. The alarm was raised after that too though, so I wanted to combine this with blowing up the AA, commanding the other team members to do the same and to get out of there somehow. I had to trigger the bombs anyway because the choppers would lift off as well. So the only way I saw was to complete the mission and break through somehow.
Turned out that getting out of there alive (I was not far the air control tower when the shit hit the fan) didn't quite work or would be hard as hell but eventually I sniped all five guys on the tower in such a perfection and speed that the alarm wasn't raised. :) This enabled me to get out of there first and find a good spot outside the base to watch the fireworks unharmed.

I was wondering how you achieved that  :D . That is impressive. That objective was originally mandatory but was made optional as I even I was struggling with it. The option to do as you did is of course available; the drone just makes it easier. I saw this objective as perhaps being a source of frustration and the drone seemed like a way of solving that. But then you could argue if the officers aren't in the tower then the frustration will happen.  :hmmm:

What if you offered the UAV right at mission start already? I know, the AA is a problem, but maybe the drone is so high tech that the AA can't detect it from the distance? I don't know.

The reason why I wouldn't do that is for two reasons really. The first reason is I think it would be unrealistic; the enemies would react and of course if the drone could fly that high then it raises the question of why bother with having guys on the ground at all.

The second reason is to have the drone flying heigher would mean a player would have to greatly increase their view distance, which could cause lag. I mentioned having performance issues and so I wouldn't be inclined to do anything that would make that worse. Honestly I'd sooner remove the drone than go down this route.

The alternative could be to make it more clear in the briefing that the secondary objectives can also be completed after the AA is taken out. However it's illogical to expect that these highly ranked officers would just stay put as sitting ducks in the tower when there are explosions all around them. They'd probably hide somewhere else in the building (which makes the UAV useless unless you have a hell of a bomb that flattens the whole building (which however would make the airport useless for the allied forces, big collateral damage)). Or they'd haul ass in these fancy cars of theirs. Maybe you could even use the drone to intercept them

I will make it more clear that the optional objectives can be completed at any time. Unfortunately the AI can be both stupid and unpredictable. Sometimes the guys will evacuate the tower, sometimes they don't. Someone might think that if the officers left the tower then the drone automatically becomes useless. I would probably disagree because the drone can still be used to destroy other vehicles that may be hindering the player's escape. Sometimes my route out of the base has been blocked by a Marid or by a Varsuk and the drone is a handy tool to deal with that.

I'm not convinced about the drone one way or another just yet. I think perhaps it's simply a handy tool that makes sense to have when the AA threat is neutralised. Just gives the player another toy to play with to deal more damage if nothing else. Right now it seems that the pros and cons are about equal. But as I said, I don't mind removing the drone at all.

A small thought on my briefing related suggestions: It could of course be that the things that I missed in the briefing could already be there. In that case sorry. :) Maybe this helps anyway to optimize it even more a little bit, as you have to do everything from the perspective of the DPP (dumbest possible player). :⁠-⁠P

Yeah that's fair enough and I have tried to keep the briefing concise because I know people tend to be put off by a lot of text. I will add in the points about the drone, the optional objectives and the starting as solo.

Thanks for your extensive feedback so far!

EDIT: There is a 'in universe' reason why the officers may not leave the tower and that's that they would need to stay to keep the base organised so that there's a command structure. The tower does offer a good vantage point so the officers can keep tabs on what is going on. Yeah it's a dangerous place to be; I wouldn't want to be in there!  :D . They might even think that the tower is not likely to be hit because it's too important a structure for the airfield's function.

That's a 'story' reason but the real reason is that they're too dumb to leave  :D
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2023, 14:03:19 by Gruntage »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2023, 15:15:23 »
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.
Not at all, it only doesn't make sense if the player has completed all side objectives before the destruction of the AA. As a disciplined special forces soldier I'd not sit back and enjoy the show too long but rather head out to the exfil right away. And I'd also think that the remaining tanks and vehicles were to be the airboy's job, no need for assistance from my side.

BUT: This is only for my way of playing the mission yesterday. In another situation, e.g. not having killed the officers, then the drone would be very welcome to get the job done.

And if you emphasize a bit more that the secondary goals can be finished after the AA too, then it's already better.

And even if someone plays like I did, maybe it would help if you not just mentioned the drone briefly in that radio sentence (which I did not notice in the explosions and radio chatter of the flyboys) but rather have it more importance. Maybe a hint or optional task or so would already help.

Your reasons for the officers not to leave are good of course. ;) I just hoped that I could get you to completely revamp the project as you did for me in my mission Petrovka Strike. :D

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2023, 15:17:39 »
Thanks for your extensive feedback so far!
That goes without saying after the innumerous hours and lines of feedback you have put in my campaign! :good:

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2023, 15:23:27 »
Not at all, it only doesn't make sense if the player has completed all side objectives before the destruction of the AA. As a disciplined special forces soldier I'd not sit back and enjoy the show too long but rather head out to the exfil right away. And I'd also think that the remaining tanks and vehicles were to be the airboy's job, no need for assistance from my side.

Yeah that's a good point. At that point, the drone would serve only as an extra tool that could be used if the player wants to do more damage for the sake of doing damage. I might be the only one but I do like seeing guided missiles hit targets from a long distance away  :D

And even if someone plays like I did, maybe it would help if you not just mentioned the drone briefly in that radio sentence (which I did not notice in the explosions and radio chatter of the flyboys) but rather have it more importance. Maybe a hint or optional task or so would already help.

Yeah agreed. I admit I thought the radio was enough BUT then I knew the drone was there as I made the mission   :D . Sometimes I forget to see things from a different player's point of view.

Your reasons for the officers not to leave are good of course. ;) I just hoped that I could get you to completely revamp the project as you did for me in my mission Petrovka Strike. :D

I was wondering if you were gonna bring that up at any point  :D :D . You're never gonna let me off the hook are ya  :D

That goes without saying after the innumerous hours and lines of feedback you have put in my campaign! :good:

Hey it was my pleasure  :good: . It was great fun playing and it had been a long time since I'd gotten excited about anyone's campaign.
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2023, 15:25:10 by Gruntage »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
Re: [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.1 Alpha
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2023, 19:53:24 »
New version uploaded after a few minor fixes. The briefing has received the most changes; more information has been added for clarity. I have no issues with adding more information if needed though.

The alarm script has also received a couple of changes. The flares now appear after a short, random amount of time ( 10 + (random 10) for those interested). Also, Sabre 3 will express his frustration after the alarm begins rather than before ( that was a mistake I forgot to remedy).

It's worth noting that flares will only appear if the player is near enemy troops, otherwise who would be firing the flares  :D . Just something to bear in mind for those wanting to test this aspect out.

Thanks and hope you all enjoy the mission!  :good:
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2023, 19:57:58 by Gruntage »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2023, 00:56:39 »
Tested it again. This time I went with the HALO insertion and took Sabre 2 with me. Sabotaged the lights too.

The briefing is better now. One thing still jumps at me, sorry... :D The last sentence in "Maintaining stealth" seems to contradict the sentence that you can use the drone after the AA is destroyed. Maybe this is exagerated too, I can't remember what was written there to be honest. :)

Other than that it might be just me but Sabre 2 wasn't much of use or needed. I parked him somewhere and continued on my own, getting to the objectives. However, when the alarm was raised and the show began, he took out some enemies from his position. And on the way back I took him with me and he got some there as well. So saying that he wasn't of use might be too hard. Let's say that it didn't give me thaaaat big advantage. But it's not a big deal.

This time I let me be spotted on purpose and tried to shoot my way through. This was, as it is often in Arma, full of action but also frustration (which is not your fault :) ). The AI is quite good though. Or I'm just bad, but I had the impression that their reaction and shooting was a bit too fast / too good.

I also noticed that the performance of the mission gets quite bad when the action starts. At first I had only 20 FPS while before I had around 40. A little later it then climbed up to 25 or so - this was better.

When aiming without the NVGs, there is a red tint over the screen, this might be an Arma bug. It comes, when you don't use the zoomed in scope mode. I'm talking about the normal scope here, not the thermal one.

And to finish my small report, I have an idea, for the case you want to add something. ;) After all you declare the mission still as Alpha :D
You could add some civilians here and there (very few, maybe one for each infiltration mode). E.g. on / at that tower in the village where you start or a goat shepard. And if you stumble into them, they run away, shouting "Americans!" / "The Brits!" or in this case "Westeners" or whatever they call the enemies down there in the Sahara. Then a patrol could head out, searching this area.

And before I forget it: This time I used the drone. Targeted the tower and activated the laser, but then I wasn't sure about what to do next. Spammed some buttons (e.g. the key for command fire in tanks) but I don't know if this made a difference. Eventually two rockets hit the tower and killed everyone inside. 8) Shorly after the drone was destroyed by enemy fire.

So all in all it again was a good and fun playthrough (apart from the dying frustration). Overall I might say that it's a bit easy to infiltrate the airfield. I'm also not sure if I had an advantage by disabling the electricity. It didn't seem to be too hard to get in anyway, even if I had not disabled it. I guess that the player could be motivated enough at the first playthrough to get through a little bit harder challenge, because the mission start is positively atmospheric.

Good luck with the mission, my friend! :good:
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2023, 01:07:05 by Undeceived »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2023, 01:08:47 »
I edited quite a bit in my last post (in case you already read it).
And a small addition: I liked the changes of the alarm system, good job.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2023, 01:26:21 »
Hi man,

Thanks for the feedback!

The briefing is better now. One thing still jumps at me, sorry... :D The last sentence in "Maintaining stealth" seems to contradict the sentence that you can use the drone after the AA is destroyed. Maybe this is exagerated too, I can't remember what was written there to be honest. :)

Yeah I can see why it might read as contradictory. I'll have a look at rewording it.

Other than that it might be just me but Sabre 2 wasn't much of use or needed. I parked him somewhere and continued on my own, getting to the objectives. However, when the alarm was raised and the show began, he took out some enemies from his position. And on the way back I took him with me and he got some there as well. So saying that he wasn't of use might be too hard. Let's say that it didn't give me thaaaat big advantage. But it's not a big deal.

To be honest, Sabre 2 really is there just in case you do need another pair of hands, maybe if you choose not to bother with stealth at all. I never really bothered with him because if you want to maintain stealth he might be more of a hindrance but the option is there. I like giving people options even if 9/10 players don't go for them, because there's always that one dude who's like, "I wish I wasn't solo".

This time I let me be spotted on purpose and tried to shoot my way through. This was, as it is often in Arma, full of action but also frustration (which is not your fault :) ). The AI is quite good though. Or I'm just bad, but I had the impression that their reaction and shooting was a bit too fast / too good.

To be honest the AI is generally either very good or bad  :D . From what I've seen in tests, the AI is just on the threshold of being too good. My worry is that if I weaken them further, then the mission will become too easy. The first playtest was like that and then I increased their skill only for them to be too strong. In the end I went for the middle ground.

I also noticed that the performance of the mission gets quite bad when the action starts. At first I had only 20 while before I had around 40. A little later it then climbed up to 25 or so - this was better.

Yep that's what bothers me most and there isn't an easy solution other than reducing the number of enemy personnel. The problem with that is that it will make the airfield too sparsely defended. It's a catch-22; reduce the number of troops and have the mission be perceived as unrealistic or too easy. I don't have a solution for this unfortunately other than perhaps reducing your view distance  :dunno: . I do have a spawning script that brings out extra guys from the barracks when the alarm goes off, so maybe that's a contributing factor.

When aiming without the NVGs, there is a red tint over the screen, this might be an Arma bug. It comes, when you don't use the zoomed in scope mode.

Yeah I've noticed that as well and I've put it down to being an Arma bug, possibly relating to the post-processing in the mission.

And to finish my small report, I have an idea, for the case you want to add something. ;) After all you declare the mission still as Alpha :D
You could add some civilians here and there. E.g. on / at that tower in the village where you start or some goat shepards. And if they see you, they run away, shouting "Americans" or in this case "Westeners" or whatever they call the enemies down there in the Sahara. Then a patrol could head out, searching this area.

That's a good idea! I'll have a look at implementing that!  :good:

And before I forget it: This time I used the drone. Targeted the tower and activated the laser, but then I wasn't sure about what to do next. Spammed some buttons (e.g. the key for command fire in tanks) but I don't know if this made a difference. Eventually two rockets hit the tower and killed everyone inside. 8)

Yeah from memory you have to switch the laser on and press T (?), then when you select missiles you'll see that the targeting reticle is slightly different. When you shoot the missile should lock on to the laser. Takes a bit of practice  :D

So all in all it again was a good and fun playthrough. Overall I might say that it's a bit easy to infiltrate the airfield. I guess that the player will be motivated enough at the first playthrough to get through a little bit harder challenge. Should be balanced well though. I'm also not sure if I had an advantage by disabling the electricity. It didn't seem to be too hard to get in, even if I had not disabled it.

There's a fine line to be drawn between what's easy and what's damn impossible with these missions. One extra watchtower here and there can be that difference. In time I'll see what other people say and if the general consensus is that the infiltration is too easy then I'll look at increasing the defenses. I do have to bear in mind the performance issue though and that's actually the reason why I'm tentative about adding more stuff.

I feel like there's something I'm missing when it comes to performance (FPS) because I wouldn't have thought a mission of this size would be causing framerate issues. It's not like I have tonne of scripts running at once. I don't wanna be so quick as to blame the game. Unfortunately I don't know enough about coding to be able to optimise what I've written, if indeed there's any optimisation to be done.

Unfortunately, the performance issue is what stops me from being really happy with this project, and I wish it wasn't this way.

Anyway, with regards to the generator, I think it's handy for when the player is looking to deal with the harder objectives like destroying the Kajmans, or even grabbing the intel. I didn't want to make the generator a necessity for the mission, but rather a handy tool just in case the player needs it. Option is there, basically.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that I could increase the amount of time that the base is without lighting for, making it potentially more useful, and perhaps the challenge coming from doing the mission without shutting the power off.

And a small addition: I liked the changes of the alarm system, good job.

Great!  :D

As always, thanks very much for the feedback!   :good:
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2023, 08:05:28 by Gruntage »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2023, 08:12:38 »
Yeah from memory you have to switch the laser on and press T (?), then when you select missiles you'll see that the targeting reticle is slightly different. When you shoot the missile should lock on to the laser. Takes a bit of practice  :D
Maybe you could add that help hint system that appears at the side where is says you can press H for help and then a small explanation how to use it.

To be honest, Sabre 2 really is there just in case you do need another pair of hands, maybe if you choose not to bother with stealth at all. I never really bothered with him because if you want to maintain stealth he might be more of a hindrance but the option is there. I like giving people options even if 9/10 players don't go for them, because there's always that one dude who's like, "I wish I wasn't solo".
Fair enough :good:

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2023, 08:16:00 »
Maybe you could add that help hint system that appears at the side where is says you can press H for help and then a small explanation how to use it.

Yeah that's a good idea. Will look at adding that!  :)

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
Re: [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.15 Alpha
« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2023, 21:56:01 »
Minor hotfixes in the latest build which is now up (v1.15)

A section of the briefing has been reworded slightly for clarity. There have been a couple of hints added for the drone usage which should make things easier. Also, it's no longer possible to shoot up the FOB without punishment (sorry Inlesco  :D ).

Regarding possible new features to come, I'm probably going to add a new section to the briefing for some recon photos or satellite imagery. Though I am trying to avoid overkill in the briefing.

With regards to the addition of civilians as mentioned in a previous post, I need to think about this one a bit more. My initial impression was that it was a good idea, but now I'm not 100% sure. I don't know whether civilians would be tending their goat herds in the middle of the night. I mean, I'm not a shepherd so what do I know  :D . I also don't know whether civilians would be walking around the village in the middle of the night, shepherd or otherwise.

So I'll need to think about it and make a decision. The implementation isn't too much of a problem as I can use code I've already written for a different purpose. It's just whether it makes sense in my mind.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2023, 22:43:48 »
A good shepherd never lets his flock alone. :P

EDIT:

Isn't it quite early in the evening when you chose the covert insertion? I remember something like 6 PM or so? That would justify civilians.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2023, 22:47:13 by Undeceived »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2023, 23:30:21 »
A good shepherd never lets his flock alone. :P

Yeah I guess you're right  :D

It's actually somewhere between 2-3am for the paradrop and about 1am for the undercover I think. I'll need to think about whether it makes sense; weigh up the pros and cons as I usually do.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
Re: [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.2 Beta
« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2023, 23:58:50 »
So V1.2 Beta has been released but with only 1 of 2 intended additions. The new version is available to download on the original link.

As requested, a selection of satellite images have been included and are accessible in-game via the action menu in a rather neat dialog. These images would and should be in the briefing, but unfortunately you're limited to an image size of 367px x 256px in briefings; way too small for satellite images of the airfield. Perhaps mods allow larger images to be used in briefings but as I'd like to keep this mission mod-free, that option isn't open to me.

The other intended change which sadly was not included in this build was the addition of civilians in the AO. These civvies were supposed to react to the player and alert nearby troops. I spent a few days on the script in an empty scenario and the script worked almost perfectly. The only downside was that the AI civvies wouldn't always run away despite being told to by scripting commands; sometimes they would just stand there like lemons...not great.

Unfortunately when I merged that scenario and all of the component parts to the main mission, the script ceased to function properly. Troops were supposed to be alerted when the player was less than 5m away from a civilian but instead the troops were being alerted regardless of distance. Sound files which play when civvies are approached by the player simply play randomly. It makes no sense to me at all and I'm unable to replicate the problem elsewhere. A real shame since the script worked well in another scenario and would have been a nice addition.

Honestly at this point, I'm probably going to stop work on this mission for a while. People I've spoken to will know that this mission basically involved me fighting against the game for the better part of 4 months straight, and I'm pretty tired now. The experience has been a rather exhausting and frustrating one unfortunately. But I kept at it because I felt I had to make something for this game after so long. I honestly hope that Arma 4 will prove to be an easier game to work with editing-wise.

The mission still works well and is enjoyable from what I've heard, so at least it hasn't been for nothing. If I continue to edit in Arma 3 it will more than likely be on another project now. The mission is still available to download on Steam as I said, so the need for an official review isn't really necessary for me.

I'm still happy to receive feedback mind you, so there's no need for the mission to be carted off to the 'boneyard' as we call it. Bear in mind however that any massive changes (aside from minor hotfixes that are easy to fix) will be very slowly implemented if at all.

Thanks everyone for the time spent testing this mission; it's certainly in a better state than it was when it first released.

« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2023, 16:06:41 by Gruntage »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2023, 01:12:11 »
 :good: It was a good editing and testing process.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2023, 04:12:51 »
Well, well, well. Haven't been behind the rim of a scope in quite a while and it is certainly nice to be wetting my whistle with a lone wolf mission; my favorite after all. Jumping right in...
Intro

I only noticed a slight stutter when the camera scenes swapped and began moving. Really was not bad at all. Nice touch to add a cinematic summarizing the previous operation that leads to this current one. Couldn't help but feel that there is more to come with this Specops team and their exploits in the Sahara, after reading the Situation.
Briefing
I feel you covered everything that a team would need with the exception of what was on the dinner menu for the meeting :D
Those Sat images were excellent features. Even though it was all laid out on the map, the sat images made it feel special.

Dual insertion was a great option, however, I felt it was not far enough apart to provide a different or more difficult approach. I get it though; you were trying to place the player as close to the first objective as possible. I just feel you missed an opportunity to increase difficulty without adding a single unit to the mission.
Insertion
I chose the air drop first. I liked the red light green light touch. Always wanted to do that in OFP. I thought seeing all those patrols roving the desert with their flashlights was cool, and it made me feel awesome as I weaved through their routes. That is until I discovered that they are truly blind out there in the hills.  :D Anyways, since I have not played this game in years, it was a forgiving area to reacquaint myself with how to control the character.
Solar Power
I of course relayed the addaction problems from the powerpack and though you corrected it, another problem began happening. 37 seconds exactly after the power was cut, the entire airfield was alerted and flares popped off. No matter where I hid(I even stayed put next to the power pack), this happened. I even killed the group around the guard building to see if they detected me. Of course that seemed to alert the base anyways because no repairman spawned in after that. So, I just reloaded and began shooting the lights out on my own. This actually proved more beneficial than the power outage because when it worked, it was only out for 3 minutes or so. A note on that spawning though...feels cheaty to me. When I took out the men in front, I was expecting to see one or more inside. Can you place one in there that's joined to the others(out of formation) just so it appears legit? No biggie, if not.
Across the Play land
My very first play through, I was able to weave around the airfield without killing anyone but one unit, who I spotted with NVGs and I was not sure if he would spot me or not. I know you said in our conversation on steam that some have them but this
the enemy lacks night vision equipment and relies on base lighting
did not actually make that clear. I assumed that none had them, Not a big deal either.
     I had loads of fun observing the patrol routes, and finding the weak avenues. After about the 5th play through, I had become so comfortable that I was literally squat walking for much of the way, popping the lights out from distances and placing explosives between every vehicle (in the buildings area). This statement
as explosive charges can only be detonated from a maximum of 600m
did not prove accurate for me. 300m was the furthest I could get before losing control of a device. This forced me to place my explosives (satchels at the meeting building) and order the go ahead from the hangar near the heli tarmac. Which was okay with me, because I could then get my urban warfare on and exfil the hard way. A noteworthy mention here is, locking certain doors was nice but having enemy patrols reacting to open doors, fantastic immersion! The lone guy sunbathing in the unnatural light in building A did not make sense to me until my last play through when I shot a light out above the meeting building and he reacted. Nice.

Also, the anti personnel mines, claymores and maybe even the anti tank mines(never tried those) should be excluded from the fired list as well. I was very disappointed that I could not ambush the enemy with those after the go ahead chaos.

Exfil
First time, I grabbed a truck and raced for the exfil. This was boring. So, I instead chose different routes for each subsequent play through and I must say my favorite was when I decided to exit the wall on the south side and trek through the village. It was empty but I had enough baddies trying to track me that I didn't mind it so much. I was so loaded with antipersonnel mines at that point that I would have to rest and engage before pushing on. Sadly, they didn't hit my mines as they chased me but it felt good to finally be able to place them. From there, I just had to check out the exclamation markers that you had on the map. Pretty sure you had thoughts of adding another objective in there for that base but since you're not, just delete those trucks or use them somewhere else.

A note on the perimeter vehicle patrols...one of the vehicles eventually catches up to the other and their effectiveness deteriorates. Syncing two of their waypoints would prevent this.

The foot patrol on the road adjacent to the solar field can sometimes be ran over by those mean vehicle patrols. I thought the other units may recognize that as an alarm but they seem to ignore the body. The remaining foot patrol is set to alert for a time but they relax again after a while.

Outro
I joined sabre 2 on my last play through and left him in his shanty in order to benefit from the command view and observe enemy reactions and stuff and forgot to gather him up. Good to see he still made it to the chopper.   :D oops.

I was confused with that last scene of the helos lifting off. Didn't we already call in the air assault?

Last note but not a biggie. The mission never ticks off in the scenario listing once complete.

No showstoppers so, I'll get started on the review. Let men know when/if you make changes to it.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2023, 05:48:12 »
Thanks very much for the feedback SBG. I will have a look at the points you mentioned before the mission is reviewed. It's the middle of the night here so I'll make another post later today addressing points. The power shutoff seems very strange since there's nothing that links the power scripts with the alarm script. The only reason I can think of for why the alarm would be raised would be a body being detected. Did you kill the two guys near the transformer/generator? If so, did you move their bodies away? Does the issue occur when you first disable the generator or on subsequent disablings?

At the moment I'm not able to explain why the alarm would be going off. I might have to re-engineer the power shutoff mechanic entirely in order to fix it. Assuming it happens every time, the disabling of the generator shouldn't and mustn't act as an alarm activator. Worst case scenario is I give the player the option of disabling the power for a short time, but have emergency backup power come on after a random amount of time; no repairman in other words.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2023, 06:08:00 »
The very first thing I did on the replay after your changes was check the disable feature. At first, it was straight to it, on my belly. The second try, I made sure to stay in that spot for a while to make sure I was undetected before saving and trying the disable feature.

Before I posted, I started a new test to make sure it was not a freak thing. It still did it. And no there was no one I killed prior to arriving on the spot.

I did quite a bit of testing to see if I could be detected any other way. while in that solar area. I killed both guys, shot the lights out, interacted with one of the dead enemy that the vehicle patrol ran over, ran around in the solar panels while the vehicle moved by but nothing tripped the alarm until I disabled the power.

Sorry guy. I know you want to be done with this one. And I can still review it as is because the mission is playable all the way through. Just will have to make mention of it in the review.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2023, 06:31:50 »
Very strange and frustrating issue indeed. All I did was remove the action being added in the script  :blink: . The detection script works on 'knowsabout' so the only theory I have is the value spiking but I have no earthly idea what would cause it do so, and do so consistently. Ugh, I hate issues I can't explain or fix. I might have to remove the feature entirely if I can't find a solution. A few have questioned the usefulness of the power being switched off so perhaps it's removable wouldn't be as catastrophic as I think.

The solution of course might be to just simplify the mechanic down.

In any case, please don't review until I've managed to find a solution.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2023, 09:37:57 by Gruntage »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2023, 11:22:00 »
Alright, now that I'm awake I can address some points  :D

I only noticed a slight stutter when the camera scenes swapped and began moving. Really was not bad at all. Nice touch to add a cinematic summarizing the previous operation that leads to this current one. Couldn't help but feel that there is more to come with this Specops team and their exploits in the Sahara, after reading the Situation.

Thanks! I've left the mission open for a sequel should I decide to dive back into editing again properly.

Dual insertion was a great option, however, I felt it was not far enough apart to provide a different or more difficult approach. I get it though; you were trying to place the player as close to the first objective as possible. I just feel you missed an opportunity to increase difficulty without adding a single unit to the mission.

I don't think a big difference in difficulty was really what I was aiming for with the dual insertion, but rather just simply a strategic choice based on what objectives are up. If the intel was located in the south of the base for example, then that makes the civilian insertion more compelling. If the 'neophron' objective was up, then that might compel the player to go for the paradrop insertion. Both insertions have their pros and cons of course.

I think there was also a conscious effort to make sure that the mission didn't become a running simulator. A very early version of the mission had the paradrop insertion further away from the AO and the player wished that they had a vehicle despite the mission being stealth in nature. Back then there was a bigger difference but I think it came at the expense of player enjoyment and engagement with the mission. What I've found is people want to get into the action as quickly as possible and not feel inclined to press the + button; so the paradrop insertion was moved closer and consequently the difference between the insertions was blurred a little.

Also I think the insertion placement was designed to take into account all objectives rather than just the first.

I understand that the difference between the two insertions is not exactly night and day, but I think I've done a decent job at balancing them whilst ensuring that there is at least some difference between them. I think I just see the insertion choice differently; not so much in terms of difficulty, but rather just giving the player choice of strategy. Difficulty wasn't the focus is what I'm saying.

I know you mentioned that adding units wouldn't be necessary but perhaps a couple of well-placed guards in the village area could make a noticable difference in difficulty.

It's fine if we have differing views on these things by the way. I'm not saying your perspective is wrong, far from it. By all means state what you think and feel in the review if/when we come to that.

I don't have access to the briefing as I currently post this so if the briefing dresses the civilian insertion up as being considerably more difficult then I might need to reword it a bit.

I chose the air drop first. I liked the red light green light touch. Always wanted to do that in OFP. I thought seeing all those patrols roving the desert with their flashlights was cool, and it made me feel awesome as I weaved through their routes. That is until I discovered that they are truly blind out there in the hills.

Yeah I wish it were possible to show the player jumping out  :D . Despite a lot of testing, it's not possible unfortunately.

As far as the AI is concerned. You'd be amazed how different the perspectives I've heard when it comes to the AI. I've had people tell me that the AI is too accurate; too punishing and that they can't finish the mission. I did early tests with the AI wearing NVG and...yeahhh those guys are too strong  :D . I think AI balancing is one of those neverending battles, but I think I've hit a sweet spot where the AI is not too good but also not terrible either.

I also get a kick out of weaving between the patrols  :D. They are random of course which means that some playthroughs could be more challenging because the groups happen to be closer together.

Regarding the power transformer/generator, as mentioned earlier I think this will need re-engineering or re-designing, most likely in the form of simplification. I don't want to remove the feature but if I need to make substantial differences to it in order to make it work, then so be it. I think the script suffers from being more complicated than it needs to be especially since the 'benefit' the mechanic provides is not a huge one. Just bear in mind that the new version of this mechanic could very well differ greatly from its current state. It's a shame because I was really happy with how it worked, especially since it was stress tested (though admittedly I didn't switch off the generator multiple times as you did, hence why that specific issue slipped through the net).

It's very strange that this issue should happen now after removing an addaction command of all things. The problem may always have been there of course and the addaction removal somehow revealed the issue.

EDIT: Update on the generator issue. It's very difficult to solve a problem that doesn't make logical sense. As I suspected, there's no reason why the alarm script should be firing. Interestingly, the bug would appear a random amount of time after disabling the power, rather than being a consistent 37 seconds. I removed code line by line until eventually I got the bug to disappear but at the expense of the 'repair' script. For some reason, the 'alarm' variable is being made true despite nothing from any script telling it to do so. It's completely bonkers and stupid. But it's not the first time that the game has thrown an unsolvable problem at me.

The solution it seems is to do away with the repairman entirely and have power be restored from a backup generator a random amount of time after power is disabled. If the bug persists, then I think I'll have to remove the generator from the mission and just chalk it up to Arma nonsense. What's absolutely insane about this is that the detection within the mission runs on knowsabout values (1.4 or higher triggers the alarm), and yet when the bug occurs and the alarm script fires, the player's knowsabout value is 0! Absolutely bewildering.

I will clarify in the briefing that the enemy have limited quantities of night vision equipment, in order to clear up any confusion.

as explosive charges can only be detonated from a maximum of 600m

Yeah I've gotten my radius and diameter mixed up. Should be 300m; will fix this.

I did wonder whether anyone would notice the AI reacting to doors being open  :D . There was an earlier version where if the AI saw an open door then they would investigate the building with the open door. Unfortunately though the AI pathfinding wasn't good enough for this work consistently. When it did work though it was really cool; had a voice line and everything  :D

The lone guy sunbathing in the unnatural light in building A

Yeah discipline is a little lax in Kalb's army and so this guy just chills out inside rather than actively patrol  :D . Wanted to try and make it so the enemy soldiers were not complete drones.

Also, the anti personnel mines, claymores and maybe even the anti tank mines(never tried those) should be excluded from the fired list as well. I was very disappointed that I could not ambush the enemy with those after the go ahead chaos.

I will look into implementing this. I was trying to avoid the issue of explosions happening around the base and the AI not reacting. I haven't tested claymores so I don't know if the player can use them without the AI reacting in some way.

just delete those trucks or use them somewhere else.

Forgot about those. Will remove.

Syncing two of their waypoints would prevent this.

Will experiment with this and see if it works.

I was confused with that last scene of the helos lifting off. Didn't we already call in the air assault?

The helos you see in the outro are there to further support the ground assault as they move to mop up the airfield. The assault you saw in the mission is more of a QRF to take immediate advantage of the 'clear sky' so to speak. It wouldn't have been possible to have ground forces in position ready to assault the airfield immediately because the enemy would likely spot them prior to the mission, and therefore the base would have been on even higher alert.

Think of the outro as being more of a continuation of the assault you saw in the mission rather than being different.

I can clarify this in the briefing though if needed.

The mission never ticks off in the scenario listing once complete.

Yeah unfortunately from what I can tell, this is more of a BIS problem. Essentially in order to get a mission to tick off on steam you have to use the BIS_fnc_Endmission function . The problem is that despite using this command, the mission doesn't tick off. It turns out that the solution is to have the same function be used at the end of the outro. The problem though is that you always get a debriefing window when you use the function, which, at the end of an outro, looks incredibly jarring and out of place. To make it worse, the debriefing window you get in the outro is blank; it doesn't take into account what you did during the mission itself.

I've also tried using the command 'markAsFinishedOnSteam' but that doesn't seem to work either. I might be using this command incorrectly but it does say that it marks the current mission as finished on steam.

In any case, I haven't been able to get this to work. I certainly don't want the outro to be spoiled by an annoying debrief window. You can disable the debriefing completely, but I don't think that's something anyone would want.

If anyone does have any ideas on how to get this to work by all means let me know; it's possible I've missed something.

Speaking of the outro, I'll add your name to the beta testers list as well.

I think that covers everything for now. The biggest problem is the power generator. Even though it's not technically a showstopper, to me it is because it's a feature that currently doesn't work as it should and spoils the mission currently. I'm going to try and retain as much of the feature as possible rather than going down the easy route and simplifying it.

Thanks very much for your feedback  :good:.....not as bad as I thought it would be!!  ;)  ;)
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2023, 23:13:13 by Gruntage »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2023, 01:30:38 »
Just to clarify something. My feedback has no intent or judgment behind it. I'm sorry if I sound as if I'm questioning your creativity. You guys invest too much time into these artworks to have to defend your choices. I'm glad we're all different; otherwise we wouldn't be surprised. Feel free to change or not change whatever you want, just as long as there are no showstopper, it can be reviewed.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2023, 22:00:48 »
Don't worry about it, man. I always appreciate your feedback and any mission I make will be better for it. Sorry if I come across as defensive; I always try to make sure that whoever is giving feedback, be it criticism or otherwise, knows the reasons behind any decisions I've made.

I'm making some changes to the mission currently and I've taken the mission down off Steam until they're done.

Thanks,
Gruntage

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
Re: [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.3 Final
« Reply #30 on: 23 Nov 2023, 23:52:13 »
Hey everyone,

So the mission has had a few changes made to it to get it ready for reviewing. I hope that in making said changes I haven't broken anything  ::) . I've given the mission a few tests and checked a few new features and they seem to be working properly. The changes are outlined below and in the changelog:

- Generator shutoff mechanic simplified and fixed...shouldn't trigger the alarm when used. I never found out why the alarm was triggering and likely will never know. This change to the mechanic has not resulted in any alarm being triggered as a result, so it should be fine. If not........well, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it  :whistle:

- There are now consequences for shooting out lights in the base. If enemies are close to any lamps being shot at, they will respond and the alarm be raised. This was a better alternative than simply making lights indestructible.

-The briefing detail concerning enemy night vision equipment has been clarified

-Detonation range corrected from 600m to 300m

- Claymore, AT Mines, APERS Mines, APERS Bounding Mines, Tripwire Mines and SLAM Mines added to 'FIRED' exception
  list; allowing the player to place these without the alarm being triggered upon placement. Should make for some
  interesting gameplay choices.

- Nearly all empty vehicles have been locked for player use

- Enemy MARID waypoints synced to prevent queuing

- Minor adjustments made to briefing concerning friendly attacks on the airfield

- Updates to BETA testers

-Minor adjustments to intro cinematic for better timings and fadeouts

- Task location for the 'Destroy AA' task has been fixed (by using modules rather than scripting commands)

- Adjustment to one enemy patrol group location. The group was previously patrolling along a dirt path and
 occcasionally would get run over by an APC; triggering the body detection and subsequently the alarm. The group has
 been moved away from the road to prevent this from happening.

- Slight increase to patrol count outside the airfield

- Leaders of enemy patrol groups outside the airfield have been given night vision goggles to increase threat and
 difficulty. Testing by myself has not resulted in a huge surge in difficulty, but this can be amended if others find it too
 punishing
- Addition of tower sentry in Al Mahbes village
- Addition of additional patrol group between Al Mahbes village and airfield.

Those last two changes have increased the difficulty of the civilian insertion quite considerably; the player now has to think about their movement and position more than before. This change wasn't arbitrary though; it would make sense for there to be an enemy presence in the village and the tower to be utilised as a vantage point. I am willing to revert those last two changes though if people think the result is too punishing.

So that should be it; ready for review. That is, of course, unless something comes up. I don't want to release an unfinished product so if anything breaks or doesn't work as it should, then please let me know so I can attempt a fix. SBG you may now proceed :D

This hasn't been an easy mission to make despite it being a relatively simple mission in structure. I'm glad that I've managed to get it into a state that I'm happy with. When making missions I always want to create something for others to enjoy, and from what I've seen already, people do seem to like this one. That means I've achieved what I wanted to achieve.

Hopefully now I can take a break from editing and get on with having fun testing other people's projects; I see myself as a far better beta tester than editor  :D .

Thank you very much everyone for your time testing. This mission is in a much better state now because of the time you have invested.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2023, 00:09:35 by Gruntage »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: 26 Nov 2023, 03:20:04 »
I do have a couple more mentions that are fine if left alone but you may choose to make changes. They are very minor.
At the FOB, an angry commander is pointing his pistol out across at the gates from atop the roof of a mobile barrack. It was quite comical actually.

You have locked every structure in the FOB with the exception of the one next to the ammo crates and the one next to the union jack flag. Also, no big deal.

The action to disable power remains in the players menu until the animation plays through. Again, no big deal but if the player decides to toy with it, they can activate it three additional times before it is removed. Which also, is quite comical when you get the same message about them restoring power three times in a row.
I see in the script where you removed it before even the animation begins, so since its not breaking anything, its likely okay to just leave it alone.

You are a scoundrel for taking away my light plinking. Nah just kidding. It certainly feels more secured now. Before, I had the entire area in the dark with no one reacting and that was immersion breaking, especially when they reacted to an open door in the dark.  :D

Having the Anti personal mines made the mission that much better. Thanks for adding those to the script. It was a freaking blast setting those behind me as I moved about.

I did notice the fields much more difficult. I'm just glad no one heard me cursing and smashing the table after thinking that a night blind AI who was aiming at unseen planes above could suddenly head shot me with only a twitch reaction. I was furious until, after the 5th reload, I was able to take him out and discovered that he had NVG. Another good and logical addition.

I played through the truck insertion again and having more units busy in the village was certainly an improvement. I did not find it more difficult, just more engaging and thus immersive.

Let me know if you plan to make any of these changes. If not, I should have the review posted later this morning.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2023, 07:18:33 by savedbygrace »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: 26 Nov 2023, 08:07:54 »
Hi SBG,

Thanks very much your comments. I will have a quick tinker with the mission again as they shouldn't be difficult to fix. I'll let you know when the new version is uploaded.

EDIT: I'm not sure why, but all of the animations in the FOB and the airfield have been disabled. They were put in using the very handy addon Eden Enhanced but that doesn't require people to have it installed in order to play. In any case, I'll put the animations back in and hopefully that will work. I think they got removed because I recently saved the mission without eden enhanced accidentally. At least now you'll get to see the units as they should be.

EDIT2: All changes implemented and everything should be fine now!

- Generator shutoff action should no longer appear during the shutoff animation (was just a simple case of moving a line of code)
- AI animations restored (they were accidentally removed when I saved the mission without 3DEN Enhanced)
- Minor adjustments to FOB buildings to ensure all are locked

Thanks,
Gruntage
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2023, 09:40:30 by Gruntage »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: 26 Nov 2023, 23:14:16 »
The review is complete, but I'm having problems getting the file uploaded to the site at the moment. I can't save the review without a file to attach to it. Will update when its published.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 26 Nov 2023, 23:17:10 »
Alright, no worries man. Thanks for the update!

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
Re: (Review Completed) [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.3 Final
« Reply #35 on: 03 Dec 2023, 20:10:22 »
This mission has been reviewed and is now available from the Missions Depot
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2024, 16:42:57 by Gruntage »