Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP/CAMP] Underdogs  (Read 11523 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
Re: [SP/CAMP] Underdogs
« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:53:01 »
I know but they need to be in the right spot (dirt road) as there's almost no wind in the mission.
Saying that: You just gave me another idea. :D Thanks!
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017, 08:57:26 by Undeceived »
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2017, 07:15:57 »
This campaign should be renamed Frustratingdogs  :D
[spoiler]
The next one Konstantinos somethingoranother is annoying; seems that the enemy has some sort of weird Predator heat vision eyes because non of them wear any NVG (that I saw) yet they can spot me perfectly fine in pitch black darkness (in which I can only see lit areas and the sky unless I set brightness full and crank up a lot of gamma as well [I have an old IPS panel monitor so the IPS glow makes things worse :( ]) laying under a bush 100 meters away -> eavesdropping is impossible, they even usually spot the non-player guys who are like 300m away prone on the hill top where the mission starts so I'm smelling a scripted shenanigan  :scratch:

(Really wish the AI would actually be affected by light properly, the enemy is in lit area looking out into the darkness so they shouldn't see anything at all outside the lit area)

If I order the AI guys to pull back behind the hill then the enemy spots just me, I don't even know that I was spotted but the eavesdropping task getting suddenly canceled marks the moment (maybe move that so that when shots are fired it cancels?).

About the receiver thing, in the briefing it's said that the bugs have '100m or so' range implying it's somewhere around 100, seems though like you have to be way under 100 for them to work (remember that distances are measured from object center which means in larger buildings the walls can be like 80 meters away even though the building is said to be 100m away) which forces you too close and the PredatorHeatVision™ enemy spots you (I guess it could be the game, the AI has always since OFP reported enemies I can't even see)..

Oh, and just wanted to make sure that is the eavesdropping even supposed to be successful?
Because I once, out of like 10 tries, have been able to get so far that the guys start to wonder what was said, and then suddenly "They saw us!" and task is canceled..

EDIT: So it is meant to be successful, finally was able to do that without being spotted.

EDIT2: And now I have been on Fournos for 20 minutes and absolutely nothing happens ???
Just a note, we swam there (couldn't get any getin action for the rubber boat so assumed it was locked) and evaded all enemies.

Speaking of enemies, it looks a tad bad that the two guys at the marina stand perfectly still in wedge formation until you get close enough to trigger a trigger (I assume) and they the start to run around liek they spotted someone.  :dunno:
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2017, 08:19:28 by h- »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2017, 20:22:14 »
h- you seem to be plagued with every trouble one can get playing the campaign. :D That godlike AI is really a pain in the ass, it seems that I need to dumb them down completely... Thanks for the feedback.

Well, they say Fournos, but the "place of interest" it's not exactly on Fournos but on the way there, some meters back. Thanks for your report - I will make some kind of hint for the player in case he really goes to the little island. I assumed that the player would see the houses and car etc. on the way there, but again I have to realize that the freedom Arma gives is a challenge for the mission designer. I'll optimize that.

Hope you can finish the campaign, you almost made it through the the exertions and sufferings. :D (at least for one of the multiple endings)

Thanks a lot!

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2017, 20:51:13 »
I will make some kind of hint for the player in case he really goes to the little island.
They could just wonder among themselves that since there seems to be nothing there maybe they missed something and should head back to shore and investigate :dunno:

I guess I came close though because I did go to the pier after the boat sped off from there  :P
Of course I saw all the stuff but tried to evade any contact (obviously first drove head on to the roadblock or whatever, to die)..

That godlike AI is really a pain in the ass
I have recently spent a lot of time with the AI (while updating that old mission of mine here) and it is really annoying on all fronts (the autocombat being the most annoying), civilians probably have really bad camouflage value not helping the spotting issue. :hmmm:

You could try fiddling with the civilian guys' unit trait "camouflageCoef", that should make them less spottable, or fiddle with the enemy's spotting related sub-skill values :dunno:

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2017, 00:34:26 »
Ok, that setUnitTrait command looks interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2017, 08:04:51 »
The AI sub-skills like "spotDistance" and "spotTime" (or something like that) are also quite effective.

If you're using 3DEN Enhanced (and you definitely should be) it has all this stuff easily adjustable.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:09:30 »
I used it once and (as weird as it sounds) my experience was that it left decencies in the mission so that it was needed to play. Or rather said: Without it certain functions / parts wouldn't work correctly. That's why I gave it up. But it was an earlier version of 3DEN Enhanced so I'll definitely give it a try again, but not in this project.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2017, 20:08:45 »
AFAIK 3den enhanced has never caused any dependencies.
However, there's something odd with A3 because a mod of mine I had loaded when I first played this campaign (it's a 3den mod) somehow inserted itself into the savefiles and when I then tried to resume a mission without my mod loaded I would get notification how your campaign requires my mod that was not loaded. After 15 years of fiddling with this game I thought I already had seen everything but I guess not...  :scratch:

Hope you can finish the campaign
Hope springs eternal, after 8 times watching the slow-mo cutscene and trying to hipfire the gun not hitting absolutely anything I'm pretty much ready to call it quits.  :dry:

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2017, 20:29:17 »
I am loving the Cold Truth cutscene, but the Into Obscurity mission is nothing but frustrating.
No matter what door I use there is always some sort of bad guy closing in and finishing me off. Impossible. Our hero needs a handgun below his pillow to stand a chance.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2017, 21:34:42 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2017, 22:29:52 »
Hey UnD,

Great cinematics.  I'm guessing you will voice it later.

I didn't get very far, but here's some feedback.

Pros:
- Great cutscenes and character development.
- Cold Truth scene watching the news especially well done.
- Got a chuckle about them watching Dying Embers...nice touch.
- Cool music during dream sequence.

Fix:
- News headline says "For dead".  Should say "Four dead".

Cons:
- For me, first missions are way too dark.  Can't see in forest when leaving auto house.   Couldn't see harldy anything in dream sequence.   After dream, couldn't find the door out of building for a few minutes because I couldn't see it.  Consider a different time where there's more light in sky, or providing a light source in rooms.
- Can't escape uncle's house without being killed.  I got frustrated and gave up.

Am I supposed to use hand-to-hand combat move on someone?  If so, I don't see an action, or have no instruction how to do that.  Running for doors gets me shot every time.  I'm guessing you want to build tension with a "narrow escape", but its too hard for me.  Either make it easier, or provide a hint somehow about how best way to escape, or maybe script a distraction (cops drive by?)  that draws attention of assassins, and allows you to get away.  Why does there have to be multiplle assassins?  A kid escaping one armed assassin who just murdered his uncle might be scary enough for this part.  If there's only one, then getting out the door and running would be a doable escape.

I see great potential here dude!

JB
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2017, 20:16:08 »
Fear not, guys, your (VERY appreciated!) cries are being heard, :D I'm almost done with the next version which on one hand will have brightness adjustments and on the other that part (and also others) won't be so unforgiving hard as it is now.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2017, 20:30:45 by Undeceived »

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: 21 Mar 2017, 19:02:06 »
Ok, then I'll wait for the next version before I continue with the tests.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #27 on: 26 Mar 2017, 18:17:27 »
I'm sorry but simply can't finish this because I have now watched the damn slow-mo cutscene at the containers for like 30 times or more and obviously failed equal amounts of time..  >:(

I was able to once even hit the guy but apparently he is wearing some Level 4 BIS'd Armor because I pumped a half a mag into the guy and he just grunted couple of times and shot me in the face (for the 30+th time).

EDIT:
I don't really get how you could ever win this, probably now tried 50 times and the guy sometimes shoots me basically before the player character becomes responsive after the cutscene..  :no:

Do something about this cutscene stuff because it's seriously annoying having to watch the thing million times only to be killed 0.6 seconds after it finishes and watch it again..
You should make it so that if the cutscene has been seen once it would continue from right after player's guy gets his weapon when you die and have to reload (savegame doesn't have to be on that point, some scripting  with missionEventHandler "Loaded" should do the trick).
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2017, 22:11:15 by h- »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #28 on: 27 Mar 2017, 20:16:20 »
I'll see what I can do with the cut scenes so that the player doesn't need to watch them again.

The killer can be killed though, Clayman at assaultmissionstudio.de could finish it. Nevertheless I increased the time the player has to kill him. Coming up in the version too.

Offline Clayman

• Members
    • Assault Mission Studio
« Reply #29 on: 28 Mar 2017, 20:54:00 »
Yeah, that was quite a tricky one. Took me several attempts to beat (not nearly 50, rather 10 or 15 or sth). It was a completely different challenge. But that's exactly the point. Undeceived, you do something that most mission creators today don't do at all: You tell a story. It's this very special, unique style which I so much enjoy. It's rather an interactive movie than an arma mission, just like ftloaf. So I'll never complain about your design.  ;)
BUT: I have to agree with h- here: Although I totally love your cinematics, watching the same cutscene over and over and over again is indeed quite annoying.