Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: a knife  (Read 4265 times)

Davy

a knife
« on: 25 Aug 2002, 23:22:18 »
we need a knife you know like a big hunting knife or sometheing like that maby it could go in the same spot as the laws or in a item slot ofp realy neads a big knife

tai mai shu

Re:a knife
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2002, 00:21:42 »
whoa there davy crockett  ;D.  why would you need one? the ai is gonna detect you when you get close enuff to use it, no matter how stealthy you are.  could be feasible in mp, but ive never gotten intoa  situtaion where im 10 meters or less from an oponent, and found my m16 to be inadequate.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2002, 00:22:20 by tai mai shu »

Davy

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2002, 06:01:04 »
whell i was planing on makeing a survival campaign/mod and a knife is a crutal ittem but since i learned that we cant do animals until/unless they release an animatin tool/plugin then im out of luck  :'(  it would still be nice to have for when/if somone makes animas though

(BTW do i know you from the fa forums or were you referencing the historickle figure)

Offline Vera_Krieg

• Members
  • Your a Daisy if ya' do
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2002, 06:07:37 »
thats the thing you can't do a knife either with out animations.  But i believe you are right that aswell would be really nice to have.  Hell you might like to throw them... not real long distance but it would absolutly silent.
Trained to Fight, Trained To Kill, Ready to Die, but Never Will.  Marines Make the Blood Flow, Blood Makes the Grass Grow...

ZIKAN

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2002, 14:17:46 »
I think a knife would be ok in the game. I dont think you would need a complex animation to use the knife either, just look at the Delta Force games....the animation for using the knife was sooooo crap, but it worked to a degree because it was kept simple. It would be interesting to see how a knife would look when using the pistol animation it might look ok  ???

But a bullet is always going to the better choice, so why not use a silenced pistol instead? (if we had one  ;) )

mikeb

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2002, 14:26:37 »
I realise you're probably aiming for a mission where you've been stripped of all your weapons for some reason and a knife is all you've got left - i.e. you would use a gun but the mission plot says you can't.

I had a similar idea but my mission was based in a built-up area.  I you alter you rmission to this (or just so you know about it for another one) I found that scavenging a warehouse or other building and coming across 1 of 2 possible addons gave a nice "use what you can find" feel.

If you look at some other sites (until this one is back), KEG (can't spell the full username!) made a nailgun and a drill.  The drill is difficult to use and it takes a lot of shots to take someone down with the nailgun but they are fun.

Again I realise this is useless for an outdoor or silent mission but if you are going for the "lost my weapons" approach then these are good.

As for knives - not a clue!!!!!

M

Davy

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2002, 21:59:15 »
you see i was palning on makeing a capmaign where you where a hunter and on your way back from the woods some punks with guns over whelmed you and stold most of your stuff but upon beating you they thought they killed you so they take you in a choper and dump you and a diserted island with some old russian bases on it and stuff an you have to try and get back home with just a knife and some outher basick stuff i wohould have then neaded to have scripted ond made some animals that upon death could be cleadned with the knife and made into a pice of meat with could be cooked over a fire and it would fofill some hunger points (after you are real hungry for a long time you swould die) i would also nead fruit bearing plants a cantine a similar thirst point system and a system that made you have to sleap after a while

(anyone ever plaed survival kids for game boy collor i was gona make sometheing like that

chefd261

« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2002, 08:59:22 »
I am not sure exactly where it is at but there is a combat knife Addon made already I think it uses the same sweep comand as the T-800s M-27 puls rifle.I will take a look around
for you

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2002, 01:59:33 »
Errrr, I can make a point in here :o
 Do anyone knows the punchstrike thing in the game?
you can add a unit a weapon that is call punch strike or something like that, its something like (addmagazine"punchstrike").
Its not very knowed but its reall cos I used in a mission of mine were I had no weapons, a few gos and youÂ'll kill your oponent. I thought about adding a model of a knife to this silent weapon and youÂ'll have a nice knife weapon for your missions, but I canÂ't modell to save my life, so you should investigate on that.
Later all.
@CERO.
SCREWBY!!!

DrMeatballs

« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2002, 03:28:52 »
There have been a few addons sing the physical attack thingy, the most menorable being the police addon from the G8 mod where you get a cop with a batton.

CrunchyFrog

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2002, 11:42:26 »
Why not just shoot them?

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #11 on: 02 Oct 2002, 20:02:06 »
Why not just shoot them?
Cos you would need a firearm to do so, the idea is to give the unit a diferent way to get out of a situatuion when you run out of amo completly, so you would be able to do a little close combat to get a weapon from your enemy, as an example ;D
 By the way, the animation codes had been cracked, so that may help in the future.
Later all.
@CERO.
SCREWBY!!!

Davy

« Reply #12 on: 03 Oct 2002, 00:13:58 »
since the animation coads have been cracked it looks like my idea is possibul and i will make it if i can get the folloing stuff i am realey looking fword to makeing a surviavl campaing and i only nead a few adddons everythign else is a script and i just might learn scripting so that i can make exactley what i nead with out haveing to find somone to do it for me

the only addons i preceve neading are:

1) a hunting knife (it will be your only weapon when you start)

2) a bow and arow [long bow type] the quiver takes up mabey 4 slots and goes in the same slot as the rocket laucheres so that you can carry a rifle with it

3) animals, forest critteres like deers, moose, brown and black bears, elks, foxes, rabits, squirles that can climb treas [i know it can be done because iv got my boddy cought in a tree when blown up before], wolves, big foot ;D , porciepines snakes [like rattle snakes, rat snakes; garder snakes], and stuff like that

4. a cantine [im gona try and make it so that you have to drink out of rivers/lakes or you move real slow get dicreased acuricy and evintily die]

5. a realy good recorce on scripting

thank you anyone who helps me out with this

[ i think ill ccopy this and make it it's own thread]

Cedaie

« Reply #13 on: 03 Oct 2002, 06:45:17 »
Instead of spending time making it for a game that is based on WAR, make, or find a game that already has all these things, like Morrowind (great game, has scripting too ;) )

I seriously wouldn't worry about spending ages on something that wouldn't fit into a game like OFP.

Oh and dave...do a spell check once in a while  ;)

Cheers

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #14 on: 04 Oct 2002, 19:55:39 »
Cedaie, I don't think people wouldn't want a knife in OFP, I think it would give the game a bit more realism, like I sed before, you'r out of amo? pull the knife out. I know that the AI would detect you before you have chance to get close enough but if you come from the back and fast they have no chance, at list they not on theyr own.
 And by the way, we all do spell mistakes in here, :D probably because a lot of us are not from an english spoker country, like me, I'm Spanish but I live in the UK, and no from a long time too,  ;)
 Later all.
@CERO.
SCREWBY!!!

1B1KSniper

« Reply #15 on: 04 Oct 2002, 20:23:59 »
Actually you can sneak up on AI units.  I have many times before as a black op and as a sniper.  And a knife would be pretty useful for a black op to kill silently with.

LimeCordial

« Reply #16 on: 05 Oct 2002, 17:19:46 »
yeah, one time i crawled right up behind a guy and he didnt even know i was there. im telling you, i was so close, that when you went into the third person and looked from the side my gun was going right through his head. didn't even know i was there until i shot him.

Baphomet

« Reply #17 on: 05 Oct 2002, 20:06:14 »

As a matter of fact I stumbled across a site that actually had a knife made. I think I have the addon in one of my extensive OFP addon library cds.

OFP is not good for melee weapons. The knife I had proved this. It looked like the guy was normally holding an assault rifle, except in his right hand he was holding a knife, facing downward. The attack animation they used I think was the strokegun animation. With the lack of a rifle butt to hit something with. It looked like a swirly and excessively long motion with the knife to find its target. However the funny thing was. The victim didn't take damage it seemed until the animation had totally finished. So, you'd step forward and stab then step back into his regular stance and THEN, you'd hear a guy go "OWWW" or any of the other funny pain sounds. So in the time it took for you to do that flowery knife attack the guy could've probably shot you four times before succumbing to the "dim mak"-like effect of your combat knife.

With the advent of pistols in the resistance pack. The idea of using a knife just became that much less useful.
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2002, 20:07:59 by Baphomet »

Cideway

« Reply #18 on: 05 Oct 2002, 21:06:32 »
how about a bayonet on the M16 and the AKs that would solve the run out of ammo and cant do anything but run away and hide like a wuss and wait for everyone else to do the killing so you can steal a gun.

Baphomet

« Reply #19 on: 06 Oct 2002, 08:07:43 »

Again with the Res pack. The idea that you'll totally run out of any means of offense is decreased with the addition of a pistol. Even so. Unless one is fighting really insurmountable odds. Or one's aim just blows that much ass. I can't see someone running totally out of ammo without anything to scavenge.

ZIKAN

« Reply #20 on: 06 Oct 2002, 17:44:14 »
Regarding the bayonet idea, perhaps that would work. Fit a bayonet to the end of AK47 for example and simply run  forward pointing the weapon, no new anim's would be needed . Any contact with the end of the bayonet would result in you recieving damage. (Didnt someone do something like this when you walked into the propellers of an aircraft?)

Fixed bayonets would be good  in the Falklands mod, the Nam pack and any WW2 mods.

habba_babba

« Reply #21 on: 06 Oct 2002, 22:26:07 »
the command for the hand to hand attack is:
this addmagazine "strokefist"

if this command line is given to a unit without any weapons it will gain an attack called "Fist" with unlimited ammo which uses a pretty weak(if you ask me) animation to execute an even weaker attack. The biggest problem with it is not it's awkwardness or lack of damage, but the fact that you can only target a unit that is standing up....if they crouch or go prone you can only hit air.

interestingly enough, if you give that same command line to a unit that has any sort of rifle they will gain the ability to use the rifle as a melee weapon in a "butt smash" attack which is more or less the same as the fist attack. But the animation looks really cool, especially with the new m134 minigun addon :) This attack can only be executed(as far as I can tell) if the rifle is completely out of rounds and magazines, thus simulating the situation of a soldier getting empty and then desperately using his last form of defence in melee combat.

Baphomet

« Reply #22 on: 07 Oct 2002, 06:31:00 »

I thought those were two different animations. Strokegun and Strokefist. That knife that I was talking about, basically worked using the same animation you described. Except that the damage inflicted didn't take effect until the total animation was finished.

Kegetys on another note made a cordless drill addon for ofp that basically worked on contact of the gun model to an enemy. I never tried it, however you might want to look into that for the bayonet idea.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2002, 06:31:59 by Baphomet »