Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Slow forums >:(  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
Re:Slow forums >:(
« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2002, 22:41:18 »
I'll be the first to admit that our Server does suck.

I'm not going to reveal the statistics on it, but I would be very surprised if anyone visiting this website had a machine that ran at the same level as this.

It is a piece of shit.

However...

I shelled out over £400 on some new hardware, which would have been some serious kit had it actually worked..

Instead, I find out that upon arrival at the server location, that something out of the new components is frazzled (Most possibly the Motherboard).

So I now need to return said item for a return to base, and hope that we can get a replacment.

The Donations system will be opened again, so that we can in some vain hope, attempt to get the server really kitted out to do justice to the site and it's visitors.

I also firmly believe, that the server being a piece of crap, is heavily affecting not only Visitor Morale, but Staff Morale, so the sooner we can get this resolved, the faster things can improve around here.

Anyone wishing to make a Donation of any size, please IM me and I'll send you details of what part of the site to go to.

We do need your support, I've spent nearly every penny I can spare on the server, to still no good, until we get this problem fixed.

:(
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #16 on: 29 Nov 2002, 23:01:43 »
So, i'll join toadlife's arguments and say that we need to buy more bandwith (if it is even possible), b

Not bandwidth, CPU power!

when a php page is requested, it must be compiled (interpreted?) by the server, and then sent back as html to the user...the only solution is to upgrade the server computer with a faster processor. anyone want to pay for this? :-\

Exactly. To give you guys an idea of just how much CPU power a dynamic site like this takes, I run the server where I work that handles on-line classes. There are about 4000 students enrolled in 60 classes.  Everything is dynamic like this site, only it's perl, not php. The server duties are similar to the ones for this this site (messageboards,uploading/downloading files, Messaging, Chat, online testing, ect.).

The recommended server for the load we carry is a dual 800mhz processor server with at the very least 2GB of ram. That kind of harware is NOT cheap!

The server we had before was a Dual 500mhz CPU machine with 1GB of ram and it experienced the same problems that ofpec has right now during peak times.

The problem in our case was lack of memory and not lack of CPU power. I don't know what the OFPEC server is so I can't speculate on what exactly is the problem. It's good that donations can now be accepted again. OFP is going to be around for a long while yet, so I think we should start giving again(if we can of course).

unfortunately even if i did have $5,000 spare in Australian currency thats slashed in half when exchanged to british or american currency.

I'm american, I was talking in american money. I forget that most of the OFPEC community is not from the states. :P
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #17 on: 01 Dec 2002, 01:20:22 »
If donating will be some bank account where ya can give ANYTHING, even yer grandma's goldteeth,
then we could collect a useful amount of £...  :D

example - I'm studying at the UNI of Copenhagen and have to work daytime just to
be able to feed my two kids  ::) but if ofpec accepted as little as 1 £
then 289 donators would be = 289 £
PLUS the £ from the 10 guys who can (and will) affort bigger donations  :-*

I could spare 2-300 dk Kr. (thats some ....uuuum...sh|t)  ::) ;D

well, I don't study math. but 1 £ is 15 Dk Kr. you figure  ::)

And alotta ppl don't have netbank accounts (like in my case)...
My point is, I don't care if it'll cost me 50 dkkr to send 250 dkkr.
300 would be the gold I could spare, and the 250 would reach the adress.  :)

chrisb1220

« Reply #18 on: 01 Dec 2002, 05:57:15 »
I guess I can donate somethin. I'd give almost any amount of dough to speed this forum up. So Tomby, what are ye studyin for? I'm just curious. And bored.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #19 on: 01 Dec 2002, 12:58:47 »
cats and their sexlife!  ::) but thats off topic, so skip it plz  :-* ;D

Offline hubba

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 02 Dec 2002, 11:44:26 »
Well folks,

in a valant attempt to make your lives less horrible i just butchered my own workstation so now the Ofpec is running on a P3 667 Mhz with 256 Megs of ram. This is temporary while i try to figure out what the *insert explicitive here* is wrong with the motherboard. (If any of you guys are experts on Tyan Tiger Dual Athlon MB's then send me a PM =)

Regards,
HuBBa the Friendly Admin (he he he he)

Ps. oh.. tomb.. so thats P.u.s.s.y love then? =) (couldnt stop that one :)
Ds.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2002, 11:45:49 by HuBBa »

asmodeus

« Reply #21 on: 02 Dec 2002, 21:43:42 »
WOW Hubba!  

That's real cool of you!   :-*  Wish I could be of help to you with your motherboard...   I might know a couple people that do though..  I'll look into it.   ;)

Oh yeah...

Ps. oh.. tomb.. so thats P.u.s.s.y love then? =) (couldnt stop that one  :)
Ds.

ROTFL!!   ;D  Look out cats!   :o

Asmo

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #22 on: 03 Dec 2002, 18:48:51 »

::) *I knew it... they all start naggin as soon as they spot an honest citizen*  ::)

Bah...

(wonder if the admins would take cats blebs?
I've heard that they're worth quite a few £ at pet hospitals)  ::)

chrisb1220

« Reply #23 on: 04 Dec 2002, 01:21:30 »
Your kinda weird Tomb. Your starting to scare me....