Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: how to link Intro and Mission?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline ahmed117

• Members
  • The 3d!t0R -=I.S.I=-
how to link Intro and Mission?
« on: 16 Jan 2012, 13:53:56 »
I am in confusion, that how to link the Intro and the mission? I want the Intro to start as the real mission starts..so How is it possible?...
The 3d!t0R            -=O.F.P.E.C=-                                                         -=I.S.I=-

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
Re: how to link Intro and Mission?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2012, 15:05:12 »
Do you mean you want the intro to be in the mission itself?

If this is the case, make your camera script (let's say, intro.sqs) and run it from your init.sqs. I think you might have to put a slight delay (a second or two) before running the intro script.

I'm fairly sure that's how you do it, but I've always had the intro before the actual mission.
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline ahmed117

• Members
  • The 3d!t0R -=I.S.I=-
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2012, 16:15:26 »
you know, I want a cutscene that can be skipped by pressing ESC key? If you know any tutorial of making an exit able cutscene so please tell me.. I need to know the basics of the camera work, so that I can make some missions.. In short my question was that...If I make an Intro example: Intro1, and than I make a mission example: The Border Assault.. Ok let me remind you that the Intro I created is placed in a separate folder. In that folder of Intro, is a script of camera moves example: cam1.sqs, ok so I want that camera move to play when the real mission starts..If I am wrong so please tell me the correct way to make an skip able cutscene.
The 3d!t0R            -=O.F.P.E.C=-                                                         -=I.S.I=-

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2012, 18:01:03 »
Well, if you make an intro in the 'intro' section of the editor you can skip it by pressing the 'escape' key, but if you want to make some camera scenes within the mission itself they cannot be skipped.

http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index.php?action=details&id=54&game=OFP

That's a tutorial on the basics of camera scripting.

You say you want an intro script to be run when the mission starts. This can be done but you won't be able to skip it by pressing 'escape'.
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2012, 20:01:54 »
   In addition to what Gruntage said about intro and pressing ESC key, I can tell you there is little trick to make skippable cutscene(s) within the mission (with some notes to bear in mind)!

It is easy man: you just need to create radio trigger (e.g. Juliet, which you comfortably call by pressing twice 0 key) and set "TERMINATE" camera effect so, everytime cutscene is running, you double press 0 and it will immediately stop. If you plan to make several skippable cutscenes, then don't forget to click "Repeatedly" in the activation field next to "Juliet" so you can continue using this radio call more than once. This trick is good if you plan to make what I call 'descriptive' cutscene that is a camera that flies around units, vehicles, objects etc. when they perform cycled action (e.g. sitting down, patrolling, standing idle etc.) or when they just stay where they are for cinematic purpose.

- Does it necessarily have to be "descriptive" cutscene?
- Yes, because negative side is that this trick just stops camera but not the rest of .sqs script. So, for example, if you put a top view of NATO soldier shooting USSR soldier, you may stop viewing that sequence from top position but you cannot prevent first soldier from shooting the second one.

Anyway, I think they can be found many workarounds to overcome this limit but finding them it depends from the body of your camera script and from what you want to show within cutscene.
? (this == thinkable) : this = scriptable

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2012, 19:24:17 »
...you just need to create radio trigger (e.g. Juliet, which you comfortably call by pressing twice 0 key) and set "TERMINATE" camera effect so, everytime cutscene is running, you double press 0 and it will immediately stop. If you plan to make several skippable cutscenes, then don't forget to click "Repeatedly" in the activation field next to "Juliet" so you can continue using this radio call more than once. This trick is good if you plan to make what I call 'descriptive' cutscene that is a camera that flies around units, vehicles, objects etc. when they perform cycled action (e.g. sitting down, patrolling, standing idle etc.) or when they just stay where they are for cinematic purpose.

I never knew you could do that. Wow after all these years of playing OFP I'm still learning  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2012, 20:08:00 »
I never knew you could do that.

I used to put this script when I wanted to make skippable intro cutscene for multiplayer missions but, after I became accustomed with inserting the Intro ON/OFF choice in the multiplayer menu (you know, I am talking about screen in which you choose characters, time, points, weapons etc.), I quickly forgot the double 0 trick.

Wow after all these years of playing OFP I'm still learning

Me too, this is the magic of OFPEC :D

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2012, 20:15:48 »
The best way is to actually utilize the Intro section of each mission. Build your Intro or Outro inside the editor so that you can set objects up and be able to run around them to check position, direction, etc. and then cut and paste it into the Intro or Outro section when you're done. If you already have your mission built, no sweat. Build it in a new mission, copy it and load your actual mission then paste it where you need it. I usually place a square object upon two intersecting lines to use as a point of reference for transfer.

Otherwise, try not to insert scripted cinema unless it is necessary to advance the story or change the plot direction during long missions.

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2012, 20:56:21 »
Build your Intro or Outro inside the editor so that you can set objects up and be able to run around them to check position, direction, etc. and then cut and paste it into the Intro or Outro section when you're done.

Building intro and outro cameras within mission environment (in order to check position, direction etc.) it is very good trick and I already tried it before! I would like to suggest that copying from mission environment and pasting to intro/outro environment it is better done if you do it from "mission.sqm" file (which you can access with your Windows notepad) instead of doing it via OFP editor because you can get the same EXACT position of objects only by copying/pasting pieces of text (and changing accordingly some lines of that .sqm file).

Otherwise, try not to insert scripted cinema unless it is necessary to advance the story or change the plot direction during long missions.

This seems to be a good hint which I think it is useful to keep in mind!
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2012, 22:44:04 by Doktor Headshot »

Offline ahmed117

• Members
  • The 3d!t0R -=I.S.I=-
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2012, 14:43:39 »
Great... now hurry and answer me a question, that how can we set a units or group's possibility of presence? for example: In a mission I have a unit with 0 possibility of presence, so I want to set its possibility of presence to 100 or full, through a script.. is there any line..?

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2012, 14:55:33 »
Well if you double click on a unit you can select its probability of presence. A script isn't required.

Offline ahmed117

• Members
  • The 3d!t0R -=I.S.I=-
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2012, 15:20:19 »
I know how to set the probability of presence. Just I wanna know How to change the probability of presence, at a certain location, through a sensor or a script. for example: I have set a script of a unit at 0, and at certain location I want that probability of presence at 100... so how it is possible?

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2012, 15:29:32 »
Ok, so am I right in thinking you want:

A soldier that has zero probability of presence (so he doesn't exist) in one location, but you want him to be present in another location?

If you want to remove the unit at all during the mission, just use:

Code: [Select]
deletevehicle unitname
But, couldn't you just set him at 100% at the certain location you want?

Or do you want it to be completely random? Like, there's a small chance he's at one location, and a chance he's at another location?

Offline ahmed117

• Members
  • The 3d!t0R -=I.S.I=-
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2012, 16:04:34 »
awe man...! I meant that I want a line that make a unit unable to be seen and at certain time or by detection of any sensor that unit will able to be seen.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2012, 19:20:04 »
Ok, so what you want is some sort of teleportation script, or a 'createunit' script.

If you want to teleport a unit to another location, simply follow these steps:

1) Place the unit you want to be teleported
2) Place a Game Logic at the location where you want the unit to be teleported to.
3) Make a trigger with 'teletime' as the condition
4) In the activation field, place:

Code: [Select]
unitname setpos getpos logic1
...in it. 'Unitname' is the name of the unit and logic1 is the name of the game logic you used.

When you want the teleportation to take place simply make 'teletime' true.

One question per topic please  :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2012, 12:20:18 »
Ahmed117, in the future, please keep each question in it's own thread for future search query's. Use the search feature of our forums to first look for a particular subject before posting. Finally, be patient and polite with other members giving you advice and helping you find solutions to your problems.