Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [CAMP/A2CO] Chasing Grim Reaper (Review complete)  (Read 19304 times)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [CAMP/A2CO] Chasing Grim Reaper
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2011, 17:39:29 »
A random civilian should come to you after battles slow down (you need to go quite close to the civilians (closer than about 200m) - I need to tweak that). If nothing happen. Follow the small dead end road (to few buildings).

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2011, 18:57:12 »
Mission 2

Beside some things from my previous posts (crashsite marker and automatic savegames) these things come to my mind:

Cutscenes:
  • You could put setacctime 1; at the beginning of every cutscene. Otherwise if someone (like me on the second run of the mission) goes speed x4 to bridge the waiting time, the cutscene itself also runs with speed x4.

Mission:
  • From the crashsite I made my way down to F. Abad. I ran quite fast so I left my team about 150 meters behind me. The enemy chopper already was airborne and suddenly I read the subtitles of the conversation about that AA guy (Ali?) who lives in F. Abad. But I looked around and no one was around me talking to me. So I guess it was a bug. I had crossed the main road heading to Aman near those 2 little lakes (position 056063).
    I died some time after that and loaded and went again from the crashsite on. But this time (I took a similar route) no subtitles appeared and also no marker about Alis house was shown.
  • After I cleared Aman and no fightings were going on anymore, no civilian came to me giving me a hint where our comrades would be (but I always was moving and didn't stand still - even took a car to move around and talk to people I saw. So maybe he tried to reach me but I was to fast). After reading your hint in your post, I went to that dead end road and the mission continued normally.
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 May 2011, 19:39:44 »
Good feedback. I will add that setacctime too. And I need to tweak that civilian talking system. I think the civilian may run to some older position were player have been and start talking there. I fix it for next version. That F. Abad guy draws a marker to map to show where AA-launcher cache is located in that town.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2011, 01:11:36 »
That F. Abad guy draws a marker to map to show where AA-launcher cache is located in that town.
Unfortunately I never saw him (the guy). :D

Mission 4

Nothing bug wise to mention.

The Takiban tanks were a challenge until the A-10s came and turned them to dust! :good:

Maybe a bit more interaction with the PMCs would be cool. Don't know any specific idea though...

Mission 5

Without doubt the highlight of the campaign! Very good action! And great tasks!!

I didn't encounter bugs - only my medic entangled himself in a bunker and didn't want to get out for the rest of the mission. But that's a BI bug, not a mission design bug. :)

Yet again the "Defend" marker at the northeast of the town didn't make sense in the beginning. Only after the AA were destroyed I was ordered to move in that defence position. So maybe you could also hide this marker at the start of the mission.

Btw. that task to destroy the AA reminded me of some old and awesome missions in OFP, it really was a great atmosphere to hunt them down. The last one (in that village) I took out via artillery so it was good to have it available! :)

I had some amazing firefights in this mission! It was great to have the team available (apart from the medic)! They saved my life 1-2 times and did what I told them to. This is what makes Arma the best game out there!

One special situation I will probably remember for a long time was after the AA task, when we were returning to the city. Suddenly we heard armor behind us and ("Shit!") we were short on AT ammo. But suddenly one after the other was turned into dust by those A-10s who detected them! Wow! :) That was a great moment! :)

Summary

All in all your campaign really was big fun. Thank you for your work!
If the voices are recorded and implemented and the missions are polished a bit more (grammar mistakes / cutscenes, etc.), it will be a campaign that (more than already now) is absolutely worthy to download and where the player will get lost for hours in that hunt for and defence of the diary.
Btw. - what was written in that thing?? :D Or did I miss it?

Btw. 2: The credits worked well too, even though I would suggest you to show them in an separate outro cutscene, if you want. Because after the credits (which should close the campaign) there again comes the debriefing of the last mission.

Thanks again, SaOk!
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 01:13:36 by Undeceived »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2011, 11:49:18 »
Thanks for testing the rest of the campaign. :)

I am going to expand that Bastam mission somehow and some more interaction with PMC at least in cutscenes. Its too easy now. I could try to force player to withdraw first inside the buildings (maybe to the mosque) then fight back slowly more and more while reinforcements arrive (more slowly too).

The final mission is also my favorite. But I going to improve that too. The markers will be fixed too which are currently showing more how the mission were before I attached it to this campaign.

I was also fan of that old OFP mission where you hunted those shilkas. That was in my mind when adding that quite similar task to this final mission. I will add some more resistance in the village where the AA truck is located. Also maybe add more escord for those other shilkas. And balance that with some additional friendly squads that follow player slightly on background.

Cutscenes and all the text are also reworked (And there will be better outro and intro for the campaign). I will then english check those later when all looks quite ready.

The deadly journal have an invisible role. I am not sure yet if I will reveal it more in the story. :)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2011, 17:33:03 »
I will add some more resistance in the village where the AA truck is located. Also maybe add more escord for those other shilkas. And balance that with some additional friendly squads that follow player slightly on background.
Yes that sounds good.

It also felt good to have the Abrams as company, slowly advancing to the Shilkas. It even destroyed the first one and some other vehicles that were near it.

:good:

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [CAMP/A2CO] Chasing Grim Reaper (Updated 20.5)
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2011, 21:51:09 »
I released version 1.0. I tryed to fix all the reported bugs, and there is much other tweak and additions. I didnt yet improve much the 3rd or 4th missions. 3rd mission should be harder now, but there is still much to improve. I will try to improve/add tasks in upcoming weeks.

Offline Variable

• Members
  • Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
    • Comrades in Arms
Re: [CAMP/A2CO] Chasing Grim Reaper (Updated 31.5)
« Reply #22 on: 02 Jun 2011, 11:09:19 »
I only tried the first mission yet, and had a lot of fun :) great job.

I used Ace. I think you mentioned it's ACE compatible..?
Encountered a single error - when driving captured enemy vehicles, the AIs wont fire at me. It happened to me with their BTR and with the SPG-9 Landrover. When I disembarked the vehicels, they do fire, when I return to the captured vehicle, they hold fire again.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 Jun 2011, 11:31:50 »

Offline Mad_Cheese

• Members
« Reply #24 on: 02 Jun 2011, 20:43:06 »
Hey,

I completed the campaign and absolutely love it, superb job!

Lots of action and details with a steady great feel. Next to "Battle of Zargabad" my favourite SP-Arma experience, especially Mission 3+4.

I did not spot any unmentioned mistakes except a cow standing on a roof near to the AA Truck in mission 4.

Maybe the briefing could hint that a weapon selection is available. I guess most people out there check for that option but I was all hyped up and played the campaign with the custom loadout (same for Battle Of Zargabad btw) and only realized there's a crate with an AT-4 in the beginning - worked just as well but that MAAWS should come in handy.

Only thing I'd say needs correction is the grammar. I'd be more than happy to help out. I'm only half American but I'm sure I can optimize it a bit (if you want).

thanks for the hard work!!
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2011, 21:05:05 by Mad_Cheese »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 Jun 2011, 22:48:49 »
Thank you for enjoying the campaign and leaving feedback, :)

I will need to add an extra setpos command, for the "ambient script"-made life, to avoid them spawning to roofs. But also test that some dosent spawn then inside rocks or some other  structures where they dont find a way out.

I could add those mentions of available custom gear and also other not yet hinted gameplay features (MedicPacks, Minefield System and Defense Line moving via radio in 4th mission)

And thanks for offering to fix grammar, but I will probably still change things much and rewrite many parts for long time. SavedByGrace have also usually corrected those during his feedback when project have gotten closer to finished.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2011, 11:40:18 by SaOk »

Offline dale0404

• Members
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jun 2011, 13:06:49 »
In the first mission I noticed a cow poking his head out of a wall.  Seemed happy enough.  Probably just a one off.

Still playing through the campaign and its very, very nice.

In the opening sequence would it be possible to make the written information on screen stay a little longer?  I found myself rushing through it trying to read it all before the next 'cutscene'.  Apart from that a brilliant intro!

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [CAMP/A2CO] Chasing Grim Reaper (Updated 29.6)
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2011, 13:58:12 »
I updated the campaign with new mission "Operation Zavarak" that starts a new chapter. Let me know feedback especially of it. The other missions are quite the same as before.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2011, 14:07:41 by SaOk »

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2011, 20:22:39 »
Gonna give this campaign a play through... thoughts so far

Begining cutscene

Did think that some music would have been nice even if it was really quiet since there are no voice sounds yet I thought although aesthetically good there was essentially no sounds

Mission 1

Briefing was good, had enough information so that I knew what I was doing without having too much information.
Gear selection was also good, a nice selection of weapons and I didn't feel overwhelmed by the choice

The mission starts and I soon come under fire, although just a few soldiers the battle soon livened up. I held back the initial counter attack relatively easily and was told to secure the cross roads, was also fairly easy. My main problem came when an M113 and a T55 came down and I had a lack of AT weapons and didn't realise there was an AT stash. So I rushed back to the outpost to grab some AT weaponry but there wasn't, would like the weapon choice you get during the briefing to be in an ammo crate or something at the outpost.

Eventually find an RPG on a dead guy and I go to blow up the armour then me and my one surviving team mate (enemy armour took out the rest) went on to clear the little crossroads. Also maybe once the armour rolls into the cross roads it then proceeds to advance on the enemy outpost (would have put good use to the mine I had :D)? A note here maybe have a trigger counting the amount of live opfor in the trigger and if under a certain amount like 5 make all opfor forces retreat or just run the script since I had to run around a fair bit to find the one remaining enemy hiding in a bush :D

Another note with this have a small delay so that when the last soldier is killed maybe 5-10 or even more seconds pass and then the radio chatter about the cross roads being secured runs instead of what seemed like instantly.

I also kind of felt that the airstrike was possibly not needed against mostly infantry targets at the begining maybe make it available when the objective to secure the crossroads begins, could have used it against them tanks on the counter attack.

Overall opinion on the first mission is good, a nice way to start a campaign  :good:

Would like to see a weapon selection in a crate at the outpost and maybe see the enemy armour advance on the outpost, other then that I enjoyed the mission and looking forward to playing the rest of the campaign. Will let you know how that goes :D

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:23:12 »
Thanks for testing and feedback :),

I tried to add music for intro but because it so long, a song that I tested didnt fit in it good. But I will work on it more. Maybe I will find something for it. The cutscene is quite silent currently with annoying animal sounds. I hope it would look better with possible voice-acting in future.

There is a small AT-box, with m136, other side of the road at outpost. Also in the hummer there is more ammo for it. From the AT-box, you can also with laserdesignator so you are able to target moving enemy tank. Still the BIS module dont always work. The plane may not always drop a bomb, it just fly away sometimes after some flying. Seems like that happens mostly with ACE2 mod, but it may bug with vanilla game too. The airstrikes and mortars in the missions are quite extra. You will manage without those, but just in case they are there.

I add the extra time before radio, I could also make the few last enemies surrender or flee in final task. I also check the tanks, so they wouldnt stop. Those could have a guard waypoint.

And good point, there could be some more weaponry in outpost.