Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Can I get the trucks to stay on the road?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Engima

• Members
Can I get the trucks to stay on the road?
« on: 19 Jan 2011, 19:21:00 »
Hi!

I'm trying to create my own "ambient traffic", so I spawn cars in the mission and give them different waypoints. Now this seem to work fine for cars most of the time, but when it comes to trucks (Ural for example), they don't follow the roads, but pick "shortcuts" over fields and even over steep hills whenever they have a chance. Is there a known way to get the trucks to stay on the road?

I've tried differents behaviours (SAFE and CARELESS), different speeds etc, but it doesn't work. Thankful for any help!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Can I get the trucks to stay on the road?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2011, 22:05:13 »
Are there any enemies around? Once a unit enters combat mode after spotting an enemy, their behaviour turns entirely erratic. E.g. civilians might freeze entirely and just crouch in fear, or they might start running in any odd direction and screaming. Soldiers go into slow-mo mode and start moving using bounding overwatch. And vehicles, from helicopters to trucks, go off road and generally start acting crazy. There is, sadly, little to nothing you can do about that :(

That said, vehicles in Safe mode SHOULD stick to the road in almost all situations. It's very odd if they don't do that, but instead as you say start finding shortcuts. I mean - they'll swerve and run into trees and streetsigns and be unable to turn a corner without destroying a few metres of someone's fence, but out in the countryside they're usually pretty good.

If you can't get it work, try posting your mission here and we can take a look at it :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Barbolani

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2011, 01:40:58 »
Hi all!

AFAI remember... Vehicles running on stealth mode didn't tend to avoid crashing with trees, fences etc..?

Offline Engima

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2011, 19:41:55 »
Thanks for your replies!
No, there are no enemies around. I don't need to post my mission, just start the editor, put an MTVR in Vyshnoye, set a waypoint to Guglovo, and watch. The MTVR use the road a short distance, and then it picks a shortcut through the terrain.