Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: AI Waypoints issue.  (Read 1001 times)

Offline gprime87

• Members
AI Waypoints issue.
« on: 12 Jan 2011, 16:49:46 »
I am currently making a mission that i hope to submit here but i have one road block.
during one of my waypoints my ai man that is ment to meet up with me from a chopper that inserted him and then join my group.
he has a very direct waypoint and i have tryed setting him to all different behaviors.

yet because there is a battle on the complete other side of the map he wants to go on a thousand mile journey to get to me, to go 100m it took him about 10 minutes, it kinda ruins the experience lol.  :D

is there a way to make them purely go for A-B without anyother distractions? like a script or somthing.

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou guys

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: AI Waypoints issue.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2011, 19:14:49 »
Hello gprime87, and welcome to OFPEC!

This is a conundrum almost as bad as the "how do I get my helicopter to do X or Y?", and it's grown especially bad with Arma 2, which introduces .fsm-based combat scripts (where the units go from cover to cover and use bounding overwatch to move under fire). This is great when you're actually under fire, but not so great when you want people to just MOVE IT. There's been requests for an AI-override button called something like LEG IT which would force the damned muppets to just do what they're told instead of jumping up and down and crawling around and running in circles.  :dry:

Basically, when they go into combat behaviour, they become very unresponsive to commands. This can be a problem. My only suggestion, at this point, is to make his behaviour Careless. Now he shouldn't hopefully go into combat mode (although he won't react to enemies either) until he's a part of the player's group. Try it out and see if it works.

It is possible to force a unit to go from a to b in a straight line via script, but let's at least try some alternatives before that. You are patched up to the latest 1.57/1.08 right? Some of the latest patches really helped with the whole prolonged combat mode shtick.

Wolfrug out.

"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline gprime87

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:00:04 »
Thanks wolfrug for the response much appreciated and for the warm welcome.

It would be fantastic to have a combat AI override but i will have to make do i guess, till that day is here.

I find it to be one of the biggest time consumer of my editing it can become very frustrating when they have a bit of a spaz and not do what they are told. (almost as bad as there drunken baby driving lol)

I'll take your advice an put it into practice.

Thank you very much mate.

appreciated.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2011, 00:33:36 »
I have found that it helps to adjust the fire setting to never fire. This way they do not try and engage the enemy at all. To still make the gunners return fire, you could probably have them in their own group, separate from the pilots and have them set to aware, then move them into the gunner slots. Haven't tried the latter portion yet but it makes sense enough in theory.