Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: An Easier way to convert?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Lone~Wolf

• Mission Tools & Mods
  • Members
  • Vladimir Dmitri Mikhail Andreevich Stamenov
An Easier way to convert?
« on: 24 Dec 2010, 19:27:02 »
Hi again all,  ;)

I've recently purchased ArmA 2 (at last) and immediately set about attempting to convert my favourite works in OFP into ArmA2. The only problem is that they've revised the programming language...

There seem to be innumerable tweaks here and there and it is infuriating trying to convert these things! On my first script I hit the vicious wall that is script-fails-to-work-but-displays-no-error-message.

Gah!

If there was such a thing as a standalone program which could read through an OFP script and highlight lines containing outdated commands and suggest alternatives, this would be PERFECT. I can program outside OFP and ArmA and if this ineffable community could help me familiarise myself with script conversion, then I will write said standalone program and release it freeware to y'all to convert your favourite scripts.

What do you guys say?
Snarling creature, lurking in the background, still writing in .sqs

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: An Easier way to convert?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2010, 12:16:38 »
Try adding -showscripterrors into your Arma2 shortcut target line, after that the game should show scripting errors on the screen.

Regardless of that all errors are stored in a arma2.rpt file which is stored in a folder (can't remember if it was a hidden folder or not): in XP user\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA 2, in Vista/7 user\AppData\Local\ArmA 2.

As far as I know sqs scripts should work the same although it's kinda outdated, sqf is the way to go..
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline i0n0s

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2010, 13:40:43 »
And use Squint to check your SQF files for errors. That may help to switch the language.

Offline Lone~Wolf

• Mission Tools & Mods
  • Members
  • Vladimir Dmitri Mikhail Andreevich Stamenov
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2010, 19:37:52 »
I'm just going to do my usual thing of reverse engineering other people's files to learn the language. It's how I became good at scripting OFP.

But thanks, I'll check out Squint.  :good:
Snarling creature, lurking in the background, still writing in .sqs

Offline icewind.123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2011, 15:57:55 »
AFAIK CAA1 for ArmA1 used a script/tool to convert some of the OFP campaign scripts to ArmA1 script codes, atleast that's the way I remember it  :scratch: .