Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Intro Screen, Text Intro and Objectives  (Read 5089 times)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
Intro Screen, Text Intro and Objectives
« on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:56:44 »
Hi, okay I really need to spice up my missions. They are so boring. I don't know my know how though to do proper missions.

Things I need to know in order to make my next mission successful.

1) How to make your on image intro, for Arma2 OA like they have when your beginning the mission, (if you know what I mean)

2) Text intro, when the mission starts, how do you make your own custom text in the bottom right hand corner, the type writer type text.

3) How do you properly script the objectives nowadays with arma2 oa for them to appear like they do?

Cheers.  :)  :clap:
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: Intro Screen, Text Intro and Objectives
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:37:29 »
The best way to learn it is to open a mission that you've seen it in and explore. If you run into something that doesn't make sense to you, post it here and everyone will help as best they can. That's the way that most good mission makers have gotten to where they are. Studying it out will help you remember it as well as find plenty of gold nuggets along the way. 

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2010, 08:14:38 »
I see what you mean the best way to get the missions I want to make, I need to debug....debug...diagnos...and more debuging, ha.  :)  :whistle:

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:55:07 »
2) You mean like the little thing in the corner than displays time and date and maybe location at the start of a mission? I had to open up somebody's mission to find that one myself as well (maybe Binkowski? Props anyway!). Simply make sure you have the Functions Module (F7) in-game, and then run this code:

Code: [Select]
[([daytime] call BIS_fnc_timetostring),str(date select 2) + "." + str(date select 1) + "." + str(date select 0),"Utes"] spawn BIS_fnc_infoText;
That should show the time of day + the date, and the text "Utes". Just change "Utes" to whatever you want, and you should be good! I think you can change the first two entries too to whatever text you want, and it'll print that :) Just be sure to have the Functions module placed in the mission, or it won't work!

3) Once again, opening up other people's missions and finding out is the best way, but generally you'll want to have a file called something like briefing.sqf that you then edit and add the briefing to. So, for instance:

_unit = Player;
_unit createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Extra stuff", "Add extra info here."]];

_unit createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Situation on Utes", "Situation on Utes is baaad. Damn Americans chasing away all the fish!"]];

_unit createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Background", "You're a fisherman on Utes! Catch the biggest catch!"]];

Task1 = _unit createSimpleTask ["Task1"];
Task1 setSimpleTaskDescription ["Get to your boat.", "Get to your boat", "Get In Boat"];
Task1 setSimpleTaskDestination (getpos boat1)

Task2 = _unit createSimpleTask ["Task2"];
Task2 setSimpleTaskDescription ["Go out into the wide blue seas and catch some fish!", "Go fishing", "The Ocean"];
Task2 setSimpleTaskDestination (getpos ocean1);

You could also of course just put all of this in the init.sqf if you wanted to :) Anyway, that should get you started! Oh, and you can also do fun stuff with the tasks using this little command:

[objNull, ObjNull, Task1, "CREATED"] execVM "CA\Modules\MP\data\scriptCommands\taskHint.sqf";
That will add the little "hint screen" on top that says stuff like "Task Failed" or "New Task". Just remember you actually have to fail/complete tasks using setTaskState. :)

The image intro thing is a bigger question, since I haven't myself made one so far, so I can't really help you all that much, but as savedbygrace says: if you know a mission using it, just open it up and learn! Good luck!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2010, 11:39:05 »
To use have intro image there are a few steps you must complete:

• Define it in your description.ext file using the command:
loadScreen = "file location.extension";
  • Take a picture in-game that you would like to have as your loading screen.
  • If you wish to make it look like BIS' loading screens you can use my template, but remember that the image must ideally have the dimensions 2048x1024.
  • Place it wherever you defined as its location, and then preview your mission. If you did it right, you should see the image.

Hope that helps!

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2010, 15:48:02 »
Great Wolfrug & Zipper5:

I got the briefing and the text on the bottom right good.  :)  :clap:

With the loading image, still working on it, but I'm sure it wont' be a problem.

Offline Kommiekat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2011, 14:56:12 »

Thanks Mr. Wolfrug for all the help you give use noobers.

Question please:

Which Effect in this situation do you recommend and where does that code go exactly?
In the function Init or one of the sqs/sqf files? If so, which one?

Thanks for your help!
KK

2) You mean like the little thing in the corner than displays time and date and maybe location at the start of a mission? I had to open up somebody's mission to find that one myself as well (maybe Binkowski? Props anyway!). Simply make sure you have the Functions Module (F7) in-game, and then run this code:

[([daytime] call BIS_fnc_timetostring),str(date select 2) + "." + str(date select 1) + "." + str(date select 0),"Utes"] spawn BIS_fnc_infoText;
Wolfrug out.

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2011, 15:23:27 »
You'd put that line where ever you want it really, if you want the text to display immediately when the mission begins then you'd put it in the init.sqf file.

Offline Kommiekat

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2011, 19:22:06 »
Thank you.

I'll test that out.